[Winter] Hummel (late)

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: [Winter] Hummel (late)

Post by MrChef »

Next level scratch modeling!!!

Whooda thunk it? I sure didn't expect to see talent like this for our little ole friendly group build. :O :O :O
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Putting me to shame :)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I sure didn't expect to see talent like this for our little ole friendly group build." "Putting me to shame." Ah yes, oh, the humiliation! :D Oh woe is me. ;D MonsieurTox is a master at this and I applaud the handiwork. :clap: :clap: :clap:
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Guys, thank you for the kind comments !

I don't want to put anyone to shame because everyone's work on the board is true dedication to what we all love, replicating tanks. I'm here to share with you, to learn from you, and I cant tell you that I've learnt a lot since I joined the board ! So much talent around here, so many smart ideas to borrow. I feel lucky to be there !
Mithras
Corporal

Re: Winterwashed Hummel late

Post by Mithras »

MonsieurTox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:53 pm
Ecam wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:25 pm I am impressed with your fabricating/machining skills. You have certainly got my attention, I'll be tuned in to this build!
Thanks Eric, to be honest those machined parts are very basic, here's some pics of the first parts I ever machined in order to build a replica of the stop motion puppet of the AT-AT walkers used in the Empire Strikes Back :

No CNC, all machined by hand and it was not that very easy as this was the first time I was machining parts and I'm using not very good equipment, I have a chinese lathe and mill, they are very good for the price but can't compete with 10K+ euros tools. But once again for the price, I can't complain and they really help for the tanks !
Amazing work throughout this thread but this, my friend, is a thing of beauty!
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Re: Winterwashed Hummel late

Post by MonsieurTox »

Mithras wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:42 pm
MonsieurTox wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:53 pm
Ecam wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:25 pm I am impressed with your fabricating/machining skills. You have certainly got my attention, I'll be tuned in to this build!
Thanks Eric, to be honest those machined parts are very basic, here's some pics of the first parts I ever machined in order to build a replica of the stop motion puppet of the AT-AT walkers used in the Empire Strikes Back :

No CNC, all machined by hand and it was not that very easy as this was the first time I was machining parts and I'm using not very good equipment, I have a chinese lathe and mill, they are very good for the price but can't compete with 10K+ euros tools. But once again for the price, I can't complain and they really help for the tanks !
Amazing work throughout this thread but this, my friend, is a thing of beauty!

Thank you Mithras !

Happy New Year to everyone !

It's been a while since I've posted some progress, that's true I've been distracted with other stuff... 2 Shermans (M4A3E8 and a M4A1 with cast in appliqué armor), something special for my Churchill MK IV AVRE and some preparation work for the upcoming Tongde CHurchill MK VII !

I finally found the time to work a bit on the Hummel. Not a lot of progress but that took me quite some times. Yeah details are time consuming !

I did the travel barrel support. I wanted it to be movable. I used mainly brass for it, I still have to add some details on it !
While I carefully designed the parts I did a huge mistake regarding the barrel diameter leading to a too large diameter of the folding round bracket. I've been able to shorten the parts except fot the lower one with a hinge, so the hinge is not on the center line of the barrel but slightly higher. Not a big deal, I'm still pleased with it and it was too much work to start over !
hummel81.jpg
hummel81.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 16540 times
hummel82.jpg
hummel82.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 16540 times
The working hinge :
hummel83.jpg
hummel83.jpg (817.24 KiB) Viewed 16540 times
hummel84.jpg
hummel84.jpg (1023.23 KiB) Viewed 16540 times
I used tape to hold it, I havent build the locking system yet.

hummel85.jpg
hummel85.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 16540 times
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

I've also been distracted with some stuff to populate the inside of the fighting compartment. There a lot of MP40 all around it and 2 riffles.

I 3D modeled them and 3D printed them. Not happy with the paintjob but I've printed plenty of them so I will paint new ones -maybe- :haha:
hummel77.jpg
hummel77.jpg (164.66 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
hummel79.jpg
hummel79.jpg (379.56 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
hummel78.jpg
hummel78.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
hummel80.jpg
hummel80.jpg (439.01 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

I build the locking mechanism of the rear doors. I wanted it to be functional. It was not easy to work with such small parts and even harder to stay in focus while photographing them :haha:

The main parts :
hummel86.jpg
hummel86.jpg (579.13 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
Assembled :
hummel87.jpg
hummel87.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 16537 times
hummel88.jpg
hummel88.jpg (351.37 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
Doors closed and locked :
hummel89.jpg
hummel89.jpg (698.67 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
Doors open :
hummel90.jpg
hummel90.jpg (734.7 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
hummel91.jpg
hummel91.jpg (740 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
I also built the rear ammo boxes. I still have to add 4 hinges for the top lids.
hummel92.jpg
hummel92.jpg (682.58 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
hummel93.jpg
hummel93.jpg (661.51 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
I built the lifting hooks. 2 types were used all over the Hummel, I designed and made those 2 types :
hummel94.jpg
hummel94.jpg (822.16 KiB) Viewed 16537 times
Thanks for watching and again, Happy New Year !
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Now that's some impressive brass work! Fine job.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Ecam wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:16 pm Now that's some impressive brass work! Fine job.
Thanks Eric ! The locking system of the rear doors wasn't easy to replicate, why Germans had to overthink everything ? :haha:

Return to “Group Builds”