My First tank build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
menright
Recruit

My First tank build

Post by menright »

https://podpadstudios.blogspot.com/

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I have started a blog on my tank build.
My build is not going to be based on any existing tank design but more influenced by a number of designs, a sort of hybrid.
Not sure at this stage what feature the tank will have but over the next few months I will explore loads of ideas.
It will be a larger scale scratch build. Dimensions will be approx 1000mm x 600mm x 400mm. Materials will be mainly metal as it is the easiest material for me to build in although a number of 3D printed parts will also be used.
Power will be provided from a couple of 650w wheel chair motors, a bit overkill but it will have loads of torque.
Having spent a number of years building Airsoft guns I have a few ideas on adding in some interesting armament.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: My First tank build

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

On Monday I watched a number of your videos and enjoyed the variety of imaginary creatures. Obviously, you have machining facilities and skills that make us all drool with envy.
Barthez
Recruit

Post by Barthez »

Hello ,
Interesting build, 1.6 hp ! overkill is underrated :D those motors should hall that beast around .
How do you plan on attaching your rubber track pads ?
Paul
Tiger 1
Mowag Piranha 3C
Stridsvagen 103C
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I love overkill...I can always slow down a big motor, but I can't make it faster... :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
menright
Recruit

Post by menright »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7XdEzNYHk. First test and nothing broke.
Paul have a look at the Blog, I have added an entry about how I glued and fixed the rubber pads to the tracks. Seems to work well.
menright
Recruit

Post by menright »

tankme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:26 pm I love overkill...I can always slow down a big motor, but I can't make it faster... :)
I agree, They will be run at 24v which gives them perfect speed and awesome torque. I tested them at 36v but the extra speed did not suite the build.
Barthez
Recruit

Post by Barthez »

menright wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:56 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7XdEzNYHk. First test and nothing broke.
Paul have a look at the Blog, I have added an entry about how I glued and fixed the rubber pads to the tracks. Seems to work well.
Thank you, I’m still debating if I should try rubber track pads on mine. Great video a ride on tank ! Only in my dreams .
Paul
Tiger 1
Mowag Piranha 3C
Stridsvagen 103C
menright
Recruit

Post by menright »

Loads more updates on the tanks at https://podpadstudios.blogspot.com/
Barthez
Recruit

Post by Barthez »

Great stuff
Paul
Tiger 1
Mowag Piranha 3C
Stridsvagen 103C
menright
Recruit

Post by menright »

There has been loads of progress on the tank, even managed to get a photo uploaded to forum at last. I decided to assemeble everything just to see how it looks and make sure everything fits together. Still tons of work to do. Full build on the Blogg.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”