UFO SHADO Mobile

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: UFO SHADO Mobile

Post by lmcq11 »

Love it

About 20 years ago, a company called Product Enterprise created a series of metal die cast Gerry Anderson vehicles. I bought a few of them at the time. The Shado Control is about 17cm long, very well made and painted. Now they are collector items. Wish I had more.

Cool vehicle.
Gerry Anderson
Gerry Anderson
IMG_3618.jpeg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 597 times
Gerry Anderson
Gerry Anderson
IMG_3617.jpeg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 597 times
Gerry Anderson
Gerry Anderson
IMG_3616.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 597 times
Gerry Anderson
Gerry Anderson
IMG_3615.jpeg (2.83 MiB) Viewed 597 times

Regards,
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

lmcq11 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:17 pm About 20 years ago, a company called Product Enterprise created a series of metal die cast Gerry Anderson vehicles. I bought a few of them at the time. The Shado Control is about 17cm long, very well made and painted. Now they are collector items. Wish I had more.
They are available still, at between £145-£200.

So who’s going to do an SPV?
Glitchinthesystem
Recruit

Post by Glitchinthesystem »

So as part of my background research into all things UFO SHADO Mobile and Moonbase Defence Vehicle related I discovered that a number of the parts & decals used on the original Mobile tracked vehicles studio models used in the series came from model kits of the time (late 1960's) - The Moonbase Defence Vehicle didn't appear to have any markings on it whatsoever..?

1/40 scale Honest John Rocket Launcher by Life-Like or Adams
1/24 scale Gemini Capsule by Revell
1/40 scale Tillie-the-Toiler Anti-aircraft gun by Life-Like or Adams
1/40 scale Scissors Bridge & M-48 Tank Launcher by Revell
1/24 scale James Bond Autogyro by Airfix
1/21 scale Long Tom by Tamiya
1/72 scale B29 Superfortress by Airfix
1/72 scale Scammel Tank Transporter by Airfix
1/32 scale H-43b Huskie helicopter by Testors
Faller B-25

Now as the 3D printer kit of the Mobile vehicle I have ordered will incorporate the vast majority of the hard details as part of the print then my attention was drawn to sourcing the decals used, which as can be seen from the diagram were sourced from a number of the kits listed above.

After many weeks of research I eventually stumbled across a web site called "JBOT Decals" (www.jbot.ca) which appeared to have a complete decal sheet for all the various Mobile vehicle variants used in the TV show in various scales including Studio scale. However on closer investigation I discovered that the web site was no longer trading as the owner (Jim Botaitis) of the site and the creator of all the decals listed had unfortunately retired due to ill-health back in 2018.

So as a firm believer in the old adage "if you don't ask you dont get" I reached out to Jim to see if I could purchase the art work....well to cut a long story short I was very grateful when he agreed to my proposal and I have now the rights to reproduce the studio scale UFO SHADO Mobile decals. By the way although Jim doesn't operate commercially any longer he does still produce as a pastime a large number of high quality blueprints of mostly Sci-Fi vessels which are available for free download (although a small donation wouldn't go amiss), so if you are a Star Trek or Star Wars fan I strongly encourage you to have a look as they are truly stunning pieces of art in their own right.

Now all I need to do is find a decal printer that can produce white decals...although I may be able to use lining tape or mask and paint some of simpler lines.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but once there the view is pretty much the same.
Glitchinthesystem
Recruit

Meter rat wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:13 am So who’s going to do an SPV?
Like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334622457532 ... SwPFlja~Fx ?
There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but once there the view is pretty much the same.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Glitchinthesystem wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:01 pm
There’s always one.

Looks good for a static model. Which it would be if I built it. Way above my skill level to make it RC.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:39 pm
Glitchinthesystem wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:01 pm
There’s always one.

Looks good for a static model. Which it would be if I built it. Way above my skill level to make it RC.
This might inspire you - just find a suitable donor.

phpBB [video]
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

I have to admit, I'm into the Aliens APC!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Estnische wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:18 pm
Meter rat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:39 pm
There’s always one.

This might inspire you - just find a suitable donor.

phpBB [video]
I have the inspiration, just not the skills. :haha: :haha: :haha:
Glitchinthesystem
Recruit

Well kits have arrived eventually and I'm in the process of going through them to make sure the Ebay seller has provided me with all the parts and they fit together etc. ('ish I appreciate it will need some work as its a 3D print model ) :D
Glitchinthesystem
Recruit

Ok some items are missing (road wheels basically) but the seller is sorting that out, in the meantime I'm now ordering up some 2.5mm brass rod as the 2.4mm test rod I have is a bit loose to act as track link pins me thinks...

Also I'm going to try an idea that I saw on the Forum from a post back in 2012 about applying Plastidip to the tracks to firstly improve the longevity of the tracks (as I understand that 3d printed tracks are not known for lasting and also to improve the grippyness of the tracks as well.

Fortunately as can be seen from this close up of an individual track link (which is 58mm across) the outside of the link is quite rough as a result of the 3d printing process so hopefully the Plastidip will adhere pretty well once I have degreased and primed them.

Return to “Modern Builds”