UFO SHADO Mobile

Glitchinthesystem
Recruit

UFO SHADO Mobile

Post by Glitchinthesystem »

Firstly I'm going to apologise to anybody's sensibilities that this project isn't really an RC Tank build but it is 100% a tank looking vehicle IMHO. :D

Its from the late 1960's/early 1970's Gerry Anderson (of Thunderbirds fame) Sci-Fi series "UFO" that was broadcast in the UK and USA (maybe other places as well- Japan possibly) and set in the future of the 1980's. So arguably it's kind of classed as a modern build as it was a 1980's imagined design from the late 1960's. Interestingly enough the studio models used were built on a wired remote toy Tiger Joe tank chassis (no idea what that was based on if anything?) that had a overall length of 22".

As there is a such a strong link to "tanks" and a lot of the challenges and things I will be trying to achieve/ I'm going to face would have been previously overcome by many of this fine forums members I thought this was the forum to join.

This is what a UFO SHADO Mobile looks like (Control Version with radar) for those unfamiliar:-

Last edited by Glitchinthesystem on Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but once there the view is pretty much the same.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: UFO SHADO Mobile

Post by Kaczor »

I love obscure models from movies and TV shows :)
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Glad you got a build thread started. Tuned in....
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Glitchinthesystem
Recruit

So the plan was to convert a 3D printed kit of the Mobile I had purchased from Ebay which was to have an approximate overall length of 60cm which would make it as close to the Studio scale models used by the series original modellers. At the same time I had also ordered a tracked Moon Defence Vehicle kit in the same size (that's yet another thread for another day) from the UFO series. The studio scale is about 1/14 as far as i have been able to determine as the Mobiles were apparently 28 feet in length.

So kits duly arrived at the beginning of last month after a two month wait (as 3D printed to order) ...but they were the wrong size as the seller also produces a 30cm long version, which is what he mistakenly sent me...Grrrrr. Although to be fair to him he immediately put his hands up and admitted it was his mistake and I could keep the wrong sized kits FOC whilst he now cracks on and produces my two "new" kits in the correct dimensions. Although a setback it has allowed me to get him to tweak the axle dimensions to be 8mm to align with HL/Taigen gearboxes.
There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but once there the view is pretty much the same.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

I’m looking forward to this.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Funky, Glitch, Funky! I gotta follow this one: it looks like fun!
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

I'm also looking forward to this! I've been weighing up RC'ing the APC from Aliens by Hiya Toys, but I've got too many projects.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

The Canadian Defense Department? Clearly the aliens had already infiltrated all levels of the Canadian military. Defense? It is "Defence", so take off eh? Alien hosers.
Glitchinthesystem
Recruit

ColemanCollector wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:24 am The Canadian Defense Department? Clearly the aliens had already infiltrated all levels of the Canadian military. Defense? It is "Defence", so take off eh? Alien hosers.
I hadn't spotted that spelling error before, must have been the model making departments apprentice or such like who made that prop for that episode, surprising for a British production in the late 1960's.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hey neighbor to the north: "defenCe" is what the cows do when the grass is greener on the other side. Sheesh! :P

Return to “Modern Builds”