'23/24 "Winter" or "D-Day" Build Introduction

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: '23/24 "Winter" or "D-Day" Build Introduction

Post by Ecam »

I'm no farmer. My produce comes from the market and often in a can.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Now with the "Winter" and "D-Day" Builds underway for nearly two months, I am impressed. I try hard to read every posting in the section (and most of the others, too), and even if I don't respond with hot air, be sure that I am soaking up learning and drooling at all your superb work. Man, am I glad we started this. Fun! Fun! Fun! (and daddy can't take the T-Bird away).
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:50 pm Now with the "Winter" and "D-Day" Builds underway for nearly two months, I am impressed. I try hard to read every posting in the section (and most of the others, too), and even if I don't respond with hot air, be sure that I am soaking up learning and drooling at all your superb work. Man, am I glad we started this. Fun! Fun! Fun! (and daddy can't take the T-Bird away).
Just Yes.

i couldn't agree more. It's a blast to see all of this talent and different types of work in one spot.

Fun for sure. (minus the obligatory Beachboys reference though.) :haha: @) :P :D
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

So, I will be joining the fray with a Sherman 105 from the 761st Tank Battalion (Black Panthers) in the Bulge. The markings and camo will be authentic, but the tank itself is fictional.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Mithras wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:32 am So, I will be joining the fray with a Sherman 105 from the 761st Tank Battalion (Black Panthers) in the Bulge. The markings and camo will be authentic, but the tank itself is fictional.
I look forward to you joining us merry pranksters.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yippee! Is the M4 fictional—fine with me!—because the 761st didn’t have 105s?
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

105 armed Shermans were standard issue to a tank battalion, 3 in the Battalion HQ and 1 each in the Medium tank company HQ's:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_ ... ucture.png

I suspect what Mithras means is he is just going to pull the bumper codes and serial numbers out of thin air :thumbup:
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Tiger6 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:50 pm 105 armed Shermans were standard issue to a tank battalion, 3 in the Battalion HQ and 1 each in the Medium tank company HQ's:

I suspect what Mithras means is he is just going to pull the bumper codes and serial numbers out of thin air :thumbup:
That's correct. There are only a limited number of accurate images of 761st number codes and serial numbers, and a friend suggested to me that it might be more respectful to create a 'fictional' tank than an actual one, in part because the photos of accurate insignia/mascots/slogans for the photos we do have are fairly horrible. I've got a pal from the forum doing stencils for me. The crew will be named for various men of color I've been close to. The CO will be named for my grandfather, for instance.

So, yes, all plausible, but fictional vehicle from the unit. :)
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Mithras wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:20 pm
Tiger6 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:50 pm 105 armed Shermans were standard issue to a tank battalion, 3 in the Battalion HQ and 1 each in the Medium tank company HQ's:

That's correct. There are only a limited number of accurate images of 761st number codes and serial numbers, and a friend suggested to me that it might be more respectful to create a 'fictional' tank than an actual one, in part because the photos of accurate insignia/mascots/slogans for the photos we do have are fairly horrible. I've got a pal from the forum doing stencils for me. The crew will be named for various men of color I've been close to. The CO will be named for my grandfather, for instance.

So, yes, all plausible, but fictional vehicle from the unit. :)

As per 105s ,they did in fact have them like any other US Armor BTN of the period. I would have preferred a 76mm or a Jumbo - but couldn't locate either of them in scale in short enough order to begin working on them (well, I couldn't find a Jumbo, period.)
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Which is exactly how I do my 4th Armoured Division vehicles :thumbup: Serial numbers in the correct range, Bumper codes appropreate for the Battalion and Company that I claim them to be from, and the rest of it is a case of "well you can't prove it wasn't like this, so go whistle..."
(unless it is a photographed vehicle like Thunderbolt VI, Cobra King, Blockbuster 3rd, etc. - in which case, its only a little effort more to do it right, than do it wrong)

Return to “Group Builds”