Heng Long Panther

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Re: Heng Long Panther

Post by MonsieurTox »

It looks fantastic. I really like the look of the factory new suspensions!
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Darn (pardon the language) NICE!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Nice work on your Panther Jeff.

Glad you came back and updated the pics, I think I may have stumbled over your old post missing the pics when I was researching mine.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Nice work. Really like the scrapes and gouges on the schurzen plates also the scraping on the inner roadwheels. My Tamiya after a year of hard battling has had that happen naturally on the wheels but I 'll need to cover the yellow plastic colour now showing with some silver like you have
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

MonsieurTox wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:28 pm It looks fantastic. I really like the look of the factory new suspensions!
Thanks everyone for the kind words. If you have any specific questions about how I detailed mine please feel free to ask. As for the suspension, there were some inaccuracies in the way HL made their Panther, so it was difficult to correct it without some major modifications.

This was the Panther before I adjusted the suspension. As you can see I wasn't happy with the way it looked. The suspension just looked sad :'(

To correct this, first I jacked up the transmission so the drive shaft would sit higher up in final drive housing. This I did by putting shims underneath the HL transmission foot.

You can really see it here on this slightly different profile shot.

The side effect is that now the sprocket insides were rubbing on the surface of the final drive housing. Careful adjustment of the thickness of the shims allowed me to still lift the drive shaft while clearing the sprocket from the final drive housing.

After I did this, the look improved but it still wasn't enough. So for the last step, I sawed the bottom of all openings of the swing arms so that the swing arms would clock even lower. With the bottoms removed, the swing arms no longer have a "stop" so what I did was I glued a metal strip which I got from an old wiper blade (after removing the rubber) at the bottom of the tank.

You can see the metal strip in this zoomed image (highlighted)

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:clap: Metal from an old wiper blade…that’s a clever way to scrounge useful materials, sir! :clap:
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Thank you for the "how to". The strip from an old wiper blade is indeed very smart !
airmancurran1
Lance Corporal

Post by airmancurran1 »

This is looking great so far. I like the creative use of alternative materials.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”