Haya Australian Centurion Mk5/1

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Haya Australian Centurion Mk5/1

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Raminator wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:08 am Glad you guys like it, the flattery's going to go to my head though! :{

Off to a good start with all the surface details Brett, that's the kind of stuff that really makes the surfaces pop. Let me know if there are any other bits that'd help!
Hey man, credit where its due :thumbup:
How bout an SLR or an Owen, just for the hell of it?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Raminator wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:41 am Spare wheels and AN/PRC-77 radios, all ready to go:

roadwheel_spare.pngIMG20231122200105.jpg

Pretty pleased with how the radios turned out, the contact pins in the audio connectors actually printed successfully. They're a little hard to see in the photos and they'll disappear under paint, but at least I know they're there!

PRC-77.pngIMG20231126143457.jpg

Probably the fastest I've turned anything around yet! :haha: I'll get them sent to you this week, Brett.
Fantastic prints !
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:43 am
How bout an SLR or an Owen, just for the hell of it?
I'm thinking an esky

Or if it has to be a weapon, an M79 greande launcher

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Actually, good call on the Esky.
Can also fit in on an Abrams or Leo MBT if necessary.
I’d also go a VB crate but painting that might be a headache!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Got the drawings for the esky done after work yesterday and the M79 after lunch today, and I'll hopefully have some test prints ready tomorrow. I tried to add a little texture to the esky to stop it just being a featureless box; the old pressed-steel versions had a bit of a ribbed look to them. Not sure how (or even if) it'll turn out, but I thought it'd be worth a try! I couldn't find good references of the clasps that hold the lid on, I kind of mishmashed a few different versions to get something that'll look authentic in scale.

au_esky.png
au_esky.png (1015.33 KiB) Viewed 33338 times

The M79 was surprisingly straightforward to draw, and I tried to keep some small grooves in between the different parts/materials to make it a little easier to paint. It has such a big bore I was even able to get some rifling detail in! It won't be very visible on the final print (the grooves are only ~0.1mm deep), but it'll be neat if it does work.

us_M79.png
us_M79.png (357.03 KiB) Viewed 33338 times
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Above and beyond!
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

The engine and transmission covers by Haya have nice bolt details, but need to be changed for the Australian Cents I have seen. I even considered separating them entirely and having the central panel open for a relocated On/Off switch, however the hull mounts are attached to the underneath.

The images I could find of the transmission covers, have a single locking bolt and lifting handle for each transmission panel. Each panel has a rubber block fitted, apparently to prevent the automatic stabiliser from bashing the gun barrel against the hull when the turret was traversed to the rear. I guess if you were advancing to the rear in a hurry, you may make a mistake! These also need to be separated.

I separated the blocks on the transmission covers.

I also added the missing nut details to the underside of the rubber blocks. Note that the exit for the smoke tubes is not where you would expect – in the middle of the exhaust system. I will get to that next week.

I removed the Haya bolt details and replaced them with tube and square rod, and brass wire handles. Meng nuts were also added to the blocks here.

While I was in the vicinity, I installed the rear hull mounting brackets and hull lifting attachments.

Raminator

Post by Raminator »

IMG20231204202130.jpg
IMG20231204202130.jpg (348.56 KiB) Viewed 33283 times
I'll get them off to you during the week. Looking forward to more of the build!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Those came out really nice.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Haya also did a reasonable job of the exhausts, however, once again there is room for improvement. The mufflers are only half moulded and their heat shields are too thick and extend down to the track guards. Also, the heat shield bolts are too few and in the wrong place. Similarly, the fishtails droop downwards.

Here is the right-side pipe work on Paul Scott’s Centurion. The mufflers are bolted to the track guard brackets, not the track guards sheet metal.

Here is the left side pipe work, including an exhaust for the auxiliary Morris motor.

Here are the left side heat shields, bolted to nubs on the mufflers on the Cent at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum (169052). There is a substantial gap between the mufflers and the track guards.

I reshaped the mufflers, keeping in mind that the smoker pipework actually comes through the side of the hull directly into the muffler and connects to the fishtails.

I trimmed the pipe heat shields, using them as a supporting platform for thinner plasticard, and added a brass exhaust for the auxiliary motor.

Here is how the fishtails should be on a Vietnam Centurion – bending outwards.

This was corrected by cutting the bends off, realigning and re-attaching with inner brass sleeves to support the joint. I also trimmed the muffler heat shield and added Meng bolts in the correct locations.

Return to “Modern Builds”