Horsch 1/6 scale suspension/transmission

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Horsch 1/6 scale suspension/transmission

Post by AlwynTurner »

This all started a couple of months ago when my good friend George told me he'd 'acquired' a 3d printed model of a German Horsch truck but he didn't have any tyres for it and he couldn't find any the right size for the 3d printed wheels. Being the helpful individual that I am I offered to design and print him some. I printed and deliverd them and thought no more about it.

Then a few weeks later at the scout hut meeting George was chatting and told me he couldn't find any suspension or drive train components to proceed with the build. I duly said I would take a look at it and see if I could McGiver something together, because if he went the rock crawler route he would probably be looking at some big bills. He had acquired a battered Tamiya race car chassis and thought maybe some of the parts might be usable.

This was the start of Mission Impossible!!! This 3d printed truck weighs over 6 kgs without any of the bits for bonnet/seats/battery etc so whatever needed to be built would have to be able to stand the weight.

Here is the photo of the chassis after I had started work
Anyhoo, I thought I would go with the traditional leaf spring approach, took some of the Tamiya bits, and constructed a front suspension and steering, and found that the 3d printed components were bending under load so had to strengthen it with aluminium angle.
OK that was the front suspension and steering sorted. Then I started on the rear suspension and back axle. There was no way I was getting involved in designing and building a differential so I opted for a straight forward set of bevel gears on a 2:1 ration and duly ordered these from Amazon/China. I specifically ordered both cogs with 5mm bore to suit the threaded rod I was using.
Meanwhile I used the same spring suspension that I had used for the front suspension for the rear, and designed the back axle in a traditional form. When the gears arrived they were big and chunky and would handle the load, BUT the large cog had a 8mm bore! I duly complained to amazon and got a refund for that cog, and then I got to thinking maybe I could sleeve the cog from 8mm to 5mm, and found some brass tube online that would do precisely that. The only issue was that I would have to drill the tube so the gear grubscrews would still work and after a certain amount of foul language and frustration managed to get it sorted.
Then to assembly and alignment which involved four attempts at designing and printing the axle to get everything to fit and not bind but after several days it all came together.
I designed the axle in one piece and then split it horizontally for assemby, and finally it all came together and worked 8O :D :crazy: :thumbup:

The end result is a truck with steering, very stiff suspension (it's not going to do obstacles or rock crawling) and a drive train. PHEW!

This is what it looks like ready for George to get on and do the pretty stuff.

And I'm so happy to see the end of that.
Alwyn :clap: :thumbup:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jee
Staff Sergeant

Re: Horsch 1/6 scale suspension/transmission

Post by jee »

Hi Alwyn, cool car.
few questions :D

Where did your friend get the files in 1/6? very interesting.

And to me, the tyres are a bit on the small side. maybe it is only on the pictures?
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

If I had known you were doing this I would have sent you the files for the tires - I'm guessing Wayne took the stl of the body to print before I had done them?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes Wayne printed the files, and George did some swap type deal with him for the printed body. Jee you need to contact Tiger6 for the stls. The tyres are designed proportionate to the wheel size taken from old photos. I wish I had the info about the tyres, it would have saved me hours :wtf: :crazy:

Alwyn :thumbup:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

AlwynTurner wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:12 pm Yes Wayne printed the files, and George did some swap type deal with him for the printed body. Jee you need to contact Tiger6 for the stls. The tyres are designed proportionate to the wheel size taken from old photos. I wish I had the info about the tyres, it would have saved me hours :wtf: :crazy:

Alwyn,
I looked again at the pictures but it iseems they used a lot different rims and tyres. I added the pictures. Aybe I looked at the wrong type of horch? personally i would prefer the bigger tyres :D
horch 3.jpg
horch 3.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 634 times
horch 2.jpg
horch 2.jpg (118.42 KiB) Viewed 634 times
horch 1.jpg
horch 1.jpg (430.07 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Regards,
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

AlwynTurner wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:12 pm Yes Wayne printed the files, and George did some swap type deal with him for the printed body. Jee you need to contact Tiger6 for the stls. The tyres are designed proportionate to the wheel size taken from old photos. I wish I had the info about the tyres, it would have saved me hours :wtf: :crazy:

I sent a pm to Tiger6 :thumbup:
Regards,

Return to “3D Printing”