A Winter '23-'24 Group Build?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

A Winter '23-'24 Group Build?

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

MrChef, HermanBix, and I have been toying (pun intended) with the idea of doing a cooperative group “build” during this winter. As it is developing—subject to change as other ideas arise—those involved might agree on a tank to do and concentrate not on expensive electronics or add-ons (to keep the cost down), but on finish, markings, and weathering. While we will all be soothing our egos by doing our best, the idea is to help one-another with ideas so we all have fun and end up with some great tanks.

So far, we have considered a HengLong Sherman, with each of us choosing whatever base version we start, from all-plastic to metal upgrades. However, we are open to other possibilities of RTR WWII tanks if we can afford them. Is anyone interested in committing and making suggestions toward our agreeing on a starting point?
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: A Winter '23-'24 Group Build?

Post by Ecam »

As you may be aware, I've done a few low cost builds. An M10 and a M7B1 both ended up at $11. I am sure there are others with plenty of spares...

I think something needs to be addressed at assessing these parts and their estimated(?) cost, when setting up the rules. Same goes for scratch building with styrene sheet, popsicle sticks, neighbors curbside trash and the like.

Sounds like I'm trying to disadvantage myself, huh?
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’m in a modeling slump right now. Not sure if I could finish anything over the upcoming winter. Sounds like a fun idea though. Hmmmm.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
I really try to keep costs down on my Builds but I guess I am a Detail groupy and all the best details come from far away with commensurate pricing. Now. I would be interested in picking a Tank, maybe not a specific model of a Sherman but just a Sherman or a Pz 111 or StuG IV and work to make it a piece of eye candy by building details and then learning how to do the paint with my air brush instead of rattle cans and brushes... It doesn't have to be the Best Runner and be loaded down with working hi grade electronics but I could definitely learn to make a Tank more weathered and battlefield rough. Following along.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I'd say that most of us in this thing we do have projects backed up ?
Why not go thru those and pick one.
That way the cost is minimised and it helps clear the backlog !!
I wont have much problem with exotic parts , nothing in stock here on a good day and the cost from overseas is madness inducing :crazy:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I happen to have a Panzer III project that needs to begin some day. If we can use what we have on hand (Run what you brung) then you can count me in. I like the idea of this motivating me to “clear the backlog” a bit. Killing two birds with one 8.8mm AP round so to speak. Or is it with one stone? Whatever.
Perhaps a before and after photo as well.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Well here we are.

Just some more thoughts.

Lets think of what could make this the most fun for everyone.

1. Budget build I think would be to make it as affordable for all who care to join. Is there a dollar cap?

2. Clear your backlog?

3. Level playing field is like spec racing, "One model" IE all the same?

4. Run what ya brung? I could also get into. Fits the Budget and the Clear your backlog.

But that's just the idea.

What is the motivation of doing this? Just for fun? Learning? Camradarie? Is this just a simplified Tank of the Month without the recognition?

Is there a time frame? November through March?

I think Pre pics are a must. Progress pics at least to share a technique or skill. Of course end result pics.

I'm wide open.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Getting a single tank version across it might be a stretch, I couldnt go a Sherman !! :lolno:
Ultimately its about fun & still ending up with a model you are happy with.

How about something like:

- All Plastic tank as base. They are the cheapest including postage.- Wheeled vehicles ok if not a tank.
-Must retain plastic tracks(these of course can be changed later at any stage.)
- Allowed to change gearboxes, drives and idlers to metal. These are generally available and cheap plus add reliability. You might have these in your parts stash already.
- plastic roadwheels to remain ( the annoying painting of the tyres is a test!) no expensive metal roadwheels with removable tyres.
- External accessories like stowage & P/E open. (to encourage creative use of brass etc?)
- Metal suspension arms open as some models come with them even tho fitted with plastic wheels.
- no printed parts unless purely stowage items. (removes the use of complex recoil systems and modification components)
- A winter theme paint finish (well its going to be summer here but winter up north) to set the mood. Good White-wash paint jobs are not easy.
- Stock electronics(stock being the system brand with the tank model) if you use a Tamy, well done, if you use a Hooben or Haya-you might get a clark etc etc.
- Must be WW2 dated '39-45'no what ifs.
- Any conversions must by styrene & sweat, not printed or aftermarket resin like Profeline for example. (encourages built-not bought)

Thoughts ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:36 am Getting a single tank version across it might be a stretch, I couldnt go a Sherman !! :lolno:
Ultimately its about fun & still ending up with a model you are happy with.

How about something like:

- All Plastic tank as base. They are the cheapest including postage.- Wheeled vehicles ok if not a tank.
-Must retain plastic tracks(these of course can be changed later at any stage.)
- Allowed to change gearboxes, drives and idlers to metal. These are generally available and cheap plus add reliability. You might have these in your parts stash already.
- plastic roadwheels to remain ( the annoying painting of the tyres is a test!) no expensive metal roadwheels with removable tyres.
- External accessories like stowage & P/E open. (to encourage creative use of brass etc?)
- Metal suspension arms open as some models come with them even tho fitted with plastic wheels.
- no printed parts unless purely stowage items. (removes the use of complex recoil systems and modification components)
- A winter theme paint finish (well its going to be summer here but winter up north) to set the mood. Good White-wash paint jobs are not easy.
- Stock electronics(stock being the system brand with the tank model) if you use a Tamy, well done, if you use a Hooben or Haya-you might get a clark etc etc.
- Must be WW2 dated '39-45'no what ifs.
- Any conversions must by styrene & sweat, not printed or aftermarket resin like Profeline for example. (encourages built-not bought)

Thoughts ?
Good thoughts here. I really like where this could lead.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

I like the idea of a "group build" but without such detailed restrictions... Usually this type of initiatives are simpler, e.g. "ww2 wehicles in winter camo". Or based on anniversary (e.g. in 2024 is 80 years from the landing in Normandy).

Return to “General Discussion”