Panther G Redux

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
VonDomenic
Recruit

Re: Panther G Redux

Post by VonDomenic »

MrChef wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:24 am And then we move on to chipping. I have decided that this will be the last time that I attempt Hairspray chipping a la Mike Rinaldi using Tamiya or other Spray Lacquer or Enamel paint. Can it be done? Yes but it is extremely difficult and the results are not as controllable and nowhere near as good as when done with Acrylic. I've done both now and I much prefer Acrylic.

This model was primed as noted earlier with 2 coats of the Red Rustoleum stuff, then 3 coats of the classic TRESemme odorless extra hold hairspray. Then I laid the base coat down, then the camo colors.

Then I went at it with all sorts of sharp instruments that you'd see in an episode of the SAW or Hostel franchises. Brass wire shop brushes got the most workout but I also used a pick, Xacto knife, 400 grit sandpaper, and a new thing I picked up I saw someone use in a video on chipping lacquer, a fiberglass brush.

I also used 1,500 grit wet sandpaper with water on all sharp edges.

Keep your eye on this A55! She gets down and dirty...

Then as you may have noticed I added the unit numbers 213, and other markings then matte clearcoated it with Testors Dullcote.

Thank you for the support guys! I really appeciate it.

Chef
I really like the effect achieved!
The scuffing occurred really randomly, and in plausible points of greater friction/wear, such as the tool rack and the handles.

Every time the tank is more beautiful!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

There’s another way to do chipping, Chef. Buy a Mato all-metal tank. By the time you open it, rebuild it, and get it to throw tracks only every 30 seconds and then repeat on and off over three years’ time, the chipping will be done. :-< :haha: :headbang:
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

VonDomenic wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:34 pm
I really like the effect achieved!
The scuffing occurred really randomly, and in plausible points of greater friction/wear, such as the tool rack and the handles.

Every time the tank is more beautiful!
Thank you VonDomenic. As I mentioned the whole hairspray chipping is a cool process but works much better with acrylic paint.

Thank you for the warm comments. I felt this tank really deserved a good second go round.

Stay tuned it'll get more interesting.

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:36 pm There’s anotger way to do chipping, Chef. Buy a Mato all-metal tank. By the time you open it, rebuild it, and get it to throw tracks only every 30 seconds and then repeat on and off over three years’ time, the chipping will be done. :-< :haha: :headbang:
Hahaha, I guess I'm glad my effort is intentional then.

Do you have a Panther G Herr Dr? If so I'd/we'd love to see it.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Ok, so this isn't a DIY or mod build, I'll save that for my fall project but it has been fun and I am pleased with the outcome.

So here we go...

Next is on to applying the Jnewboy Magic grime and really learning how it does on the major parts. This will be the next weathering step and first application of product. Remember this is an acrylic product.

But first I'll explain my debacle.

After I had applied the decals I went ahead and used Testors Dullcote. This is my first time using it and I have to say it went well. It has a nice fine mist, good spray pattern and drying time was quick considering the heat and humidity but HOLY HELL it STUNK! Very glad I was outdoors otherwise I'd had probably made my wife sick and maybe killed a few cats.

Anyway to be safe I let it dry overnight. I reviewed a video on YT by Jnewboy of him using his magic grime on a KV1. When I looked at the clearcoat closer it looked like it was possibly not applied enough because I thought I saw tiny gaps at the edge of the turret numbers. Now in his video he suggsests using the same hairspray to seal the decals before using the grime. Ok I was impatient here and just used some hairspray. But I'm very glad I only sprayed 1 side of the turret because the combination of the hairspray on the testors stuff instantly became milky, hazy white. And then melted the decal numbers off the turret-

They just curled up and slid off leaving me hugely pissed off and foaming at the mouth.

Ok so F___those decals. They were from Taigen but were Heng Long quality NOT the same as the Taigen decals used to be and definitely Not a good quality decal. Or And I'm just an idiot and shouln't have combined these chemicals. I'm a Chef, not a Chemical engineer, I should just stick to cooking...

Anyway I'm all sorts of mad at this point and never thought of taking pics of the messed up milky hazy panel on my turret.

But, after about an hour of thinking, poking around the internet and several cigarettes I thought I don't want to lose this paint job. It would be damned near impossible to replicate to this point. So I gotta dig in. So I guessed at the solution myself. First I used acrylic thinner and wiped down the effected area several times letting it dry between cleans. Nothing changed visually or got better but I made sure it was clean and no hairspray residue. The surface was super dry and matte. Now I totally took a shot in the dark at this. I decided to spray the damaged area with Tamiya TS-13 clear that I had laying around and hadn't used yet. As it turns out is made it all better and all my troubles went away. In this case it behaved like a satin clear coat. It quenched the damaged surface and made it good to work with again. So now you'll know the answer to the question that will come up about the turret decals if you actually read this far. All set. Another coat of Dullcote and back in business.

Next is me putting a LOT of faith in this Magic grime stuff-

Embrace the fear...
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Controllable filter. I can notice the cooler grey look. Effortless Panel Lining. Great controllable grimy dirty effect.

Ahhh but we aren't close to done yet.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I have never put hairspray over Testor's Dullcote, and I have never had any trouble with Dullcote--one of my favorites. So I guess would suspect the hairspray. I have also tried Rust0leum's clear and Tamiya's: they both produce a somewhat more satin look than Dullcote. As to Magic grime: I love it! Did you know that JNewboy sells different versions for different finishes? Via his eBay listings, I have stocked up on them all.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:09 pm I have never put hairspray over Testor's Dullcote, and I have never had any trouble with Dullcote--one of my favorites. So I guess would suspect the hairspray. I have also tried Rust0leum's clear and Tamiya's: they both produce a somewhat more satin look than Dullcote. As to Magic grime: I love it! Did you know that JNewboy sells different versions for different finishes? Via his eBay listings, I have stocked up on them all.
Yes Herr Dr. I have heard horror stories about issues with different clear coats. I have to be honest I've used the same ones you listed and until my lack of attention with the hairspray I haven't had an issue with one of them. I agree Dullcote is my favorite. It really produces a dull matte finish for me.
I use the Rustoleum clear on tracks. I think we discussed that previously on my Jagdpanther project.

Live and learn I guess.

Yes sir I've seen his other versions and plan on using the winter grime soon on my next project. I figured I'd try this one first and yep I'm hooked.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

:think: You ask, Chef, if I have a Panther G. It’s quite likely that I do. However, I have four hobbies: O Gauge railroad, 1/16 farm equipment replicas (and a monthly review article on these), 1/16 RC AFVs, and 1/16 static AFVs. What is more, I am also now beta testing with four others a paper WW I airplane model (oof). And the FAMO and M10 are giving me challenges and teaching me a great deal. As a result, many of my many tanks are, unh, bone stock or untouched. :/ :crazy:
However, I have an idea.
Each winter I like to do a winter tank. Would you like to do a winter tank this winter, starting with one we both have and keeping it as a simple paint-and-weather cooperation/challenge so it’s not expensive, but a skill developer for us?
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:19 pm :think: You ask, Chef, if I have a Panther G. It’s quite likely that I do. However, I have four hobbies: O Gauge railroad, 1/16 farm equipment replicas (and a monthly review article on these), 1/16 RC AFVs, and 1/16 static AFVs. What is more, I am also now beta testing with four others a paper WW I airplane model (oof). And the FAMO and M10 are giving me challenges and teaching me a great deal. As a result, many of my many tanks are, unh, bone stock or untouched. :/ :crazy:
Oooo k then I don't see how trains and tractors hold a candle to Tanks but to each his own. :P

Anyway I get what you're sayin and I hope that all goes well with the beta testing, Famo and M10.
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:19 pm However, I have an idea.
Each winter I like to do a winter tank. Would you like to do a winter tank this winter, starting with one we both have and keeping it as a simple paint-and-weather cooperation/challenge so it’s not expensive, but a skill developer for us?
This is a great idea Sir.

I've been planning 3 already for the winter/spring. I had a plan to do a tank for driving in the snow with my KV1, and I was on the bench about doing a budget tank a la cheap upgrade Heng Long already. Sooo I could combine a- co/op skill developer challenge, on the cheap, outdoor winter tank!

That'd be fun, heck anyone could join us. Should we make it a budget battle? Or do the best you can on the cheap? I'd assume that budget would only apply to the tank, not paint and products. I really like this. I think a requirement of the subject model is that it be a functional RC tank.

Chef
Last edited by MrChef on Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”