Heng Long Tiger II "Porsche" turret (Early Tiger II)

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Heng Long Tiger II "Porsche" turret (Early Tiger II)

Post by Jofaur86 »

:) Hello, I arrive a little late :'( but for your information, here is what I found on another forum, concerning the removal of the wings? even if it was for a Jagdtiger? knowing that the chassis is identical, otherwise excellent work, I follow with attention, like many on this Forum elsewhere
https://www.battletanksnederland.nl/php ... f=9&t=8256
VonDomenic
Recruit

Post by VonDomenic »

Jofaur86 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:50 pm :) Hello, I arrive a little late :'( but for your information, here is what I found on another forum, concerning the removal of the wings? even if it was for a Jagdtiger? knowing that the chassis is identical, otherwise excellent work, I follow with attention, like many on this Forum elsewhere
https://www.battletanksnederland.nl/php ... f=9&t=8256
Thanks for the comment and compliments!
Obviously there are many ways to reach the same goal! I find all of them interesting and accessible. I noticed that he had to completely cover the side armor, both externally and internally. Maybe there is some more step.
This is probably due to the fact that a totally smooth surface was needed, which is an advantage if you don't have to apply zimmerit.
However, the only problem that can bring on a Jagdtiger (but not on a Kingtiger), is the thickness of the hull armor that protrudes from that of the fighting chamber.
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Fantastic. Were did you find that photo. I have not seen that one before. Regards John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya King Tiger [Porsche turret]
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
VonDomenic
Recruit

Post by VonDomenic »

John Glover wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:36 am Fantastic. Were did you find that photo. I have not seen that one before. Regards John.
Greetings! Do you mean this photo?

gorehound
Private

Post by gorehound »

Hi John

That photo, along with many many others from all different nations, can be found here.

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/

A lot of very good reference material to be found there :D
VonDomenic
Recruit

Post by VonDomenic »

Small progress:

I modeled the periscopes of the tank in 3D, as they are absent in the Heng Long model.

The 3D printed object:

A test, to see the final appearance:

Take care!
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Thanks Mate. It is such a clear and precise photo. Why the interest in the photo is my build in the Tamiya posts is of No 11.This photo shows clearly that tank did not have a armored turret protection ring but what is of more interest is were the aerial tube is mounted .At the front. Once the protection ring was installed on the latter production tanks the aerial tube was moved to the back as both would interfered with each other. No 11 was part of the first batch that was rushed to the front. The photos of the KT knocked out in the village Le Plessis shows the turret protection ring installed. That tank was production number 33.regards John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Nice! I made the same modifications of all periscopes. Probably you know other photos of "Eleven".
Attachments
Tiger_2_tank_porsche_turret_11_with_zimmerit.jpg
Tiger_2_tank_porsche_turret_11_with_zimmerit.jpg (100.66 KiB) Viewed 886 times
grvcqjjqrnr81.jpg
grvcqjjqrnr81.jpg (220.6 KiB) Viewed 886 times
af90c310_jpg - Click to see more photos on ServImg.png
af90c310_jpg - Click to see more photos on ServImg.png (221.2 KiB) Viewed 886 times
8533586625_912d6c771d_c.jpg
8533586625_912d6c771d_c.jpg (94.05 KiB) Viewed 886 times
4765121173_80e295ff5a_o.jpg
4765121173_80e295ff5a_o.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 886 times
337730486_751049903085817_7943971288049145467_n.jpg
337730486_751049903085817_7943971288049145467_n.jpg (163.14 KiB) Viewed 886 times
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

That last photo is fantastic. Shows the early type armored exhaust covers which have a rib down the center ,these were replaced with a beefed up version on the left hand side which became standard production[Axles sell both types]Tiger 1 type exhaust shields, exhaust pipes made out of different angles of pipe and even the little bars welded inside the end of the pipes are horizontal and not vertical like in the curved production exhaust units that became standard .I will fix this on my tank I am building. This is so helpful. Thanks mate. regards John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

VonDomenic wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:51 pm Small progress:

I modeled the periscopes of the tank in 3D, as they are absent in the Heng Long model.

Take care!
You've done a cool job with the 3D printed periscopes sir.

I hope you visit us again soon with some updates.

I've almost decided to do a workup on my King Tiger over the winter and you do such great work and share it so clearly.

Keep it up!

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore

Return to “Heng Long Builds”