BERGEPANZER III REDUX

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

BERGEPANZER III REDUX

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Another opportunity to carry on the good work begun by my late friend Ken.
I snaffled a Bergepanzer upper that was in dire need of some TLC .
I made the crane for this about 3-4 years ago and the poor thing has been neglected for ages.

I grafted it onto a surplus lower and did my best to match the paint to what was on it.
Added tools & a stowage rack.
Still lots to do but it’s on the way

way
IMG_2413.jpeg
IMG_2413.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1594 times

IMG_2417.jpeg
IMG_2417.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 1594 times
IMG_2420.jpeg
IMG_2420.jpeg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 1594 times
IMG_2422.jpeg
IMG_2422.jpeg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 1594 times
IMG_2421.jpeg
IMG_2421.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1587 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: BERGEPANZER III REDUX

Post by Ecam »

Looks great Bix. Was the Bergepanzer a munition or repair tank, or both?
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ecam wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:39 am Looks great Bix. Was the Bergepanzer a munition or repair tank, or both?
G'day Mr Ecam, they were repair tanks essentially. Did a bit of recovery work on PzIV's etc but nothing bigger, but a handy repair workshop that got around taking care of all range of work to keep the machines in the fight.
I'd assume that if there was a need they would ferry ammo to somewhere they were going to carry out repairs, but I'd guess that would be the exception.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Would love to see a zoom out picture that shows the whole crane. And I really love how your tarps turn out.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

You'd think the crew of a repair tank would be able to put their fenders back on! :haha:

Cool project Herman, there's a wealth of really interesting auxiliary vehicles that get neglected a lot. Not as glamorous as tanks maybe, but certainly worthwhile projects. I drove an FV180 combat engineering tractor during our last trip to England, and it was way more fun than anything else on the day!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ecam wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:40 am Would love to see a zoom out picture that shows the whole crane. And I really love how your tarps turn out.
Thanks again mate, the main body of stowage on this is a resin piece made for the Das Werk Stug which I got ages ago & really forgot about.
It is very good, but I do have the bits and could have made my own copy of it if necessary.
The tarp was roughed up with sand paper & sprayed with an XF-51 Khaki Drab as a thin glaze repeated in coats over a base of XF-1 flat Black until it looked right.
The crates(which are for parts not ammo!!) were done with a glaze of XF-57 Buff dry brushed over with a wash of MIG-1000 .
I have done another small crate, one out of the Value gear stowage set, using a glaze of XF-48 Khaki for its tarp, over a base of flat black, then a glaze of XF-52 flat earth for the timber, XF-79 Linoleum Deck Brown for the straps, and a light brush of XF-55 deck tan for the rope., all bought together by a wash of Mig -1000.
The crane is still a work in progress as after I made it and sent it, it wasnt assembled as I made it & now requires some alteration to get right.
IMG_2425.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_2426.jpeg
IMG_2426.jpeg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1556 times
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

More nice work sir.

This is the first time I've seen a bergepanzer III.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

MrChef wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:30 am More nice work sir.

This is the first time I've seen a bergepanzer III.
Thanks Mr Chef, I was chatting with a mate recently & remarked that Im actually surprised that I have not done one earlier.
I am a fan of PzIII based AFV's and these machines are very interesting in their 'busy-ness' .
As an open topped Pioneer vehicle, the selection and arrangement of equipment in the space is going to be the real challenge.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sasquatch 8O

Took tracks off the SG 122 and on here they go.
Looks loads better.
Shame one entire guard is gone but cest la vie.
Working on the timber beams and spare track mounting bars, then it’s onto the crane.
IMG_2433.jpeg
IMG_2433.jpeg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 1482 times
IMG_2432.jpeg
IMG_2432.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 1482 times
IMG_2431.jpeg
IMG_2431.jpeg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 1482 times
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

On seeing these pics in bigger format, I took a single link out of both tracks. Now looking more taught and less "Soviet-Sag"!!
IMG_2436.jpeg
IMG_2436.jpeg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 1472 times
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Heng Long Builds”