Cheap Tiger 1. Not so Cheap

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Cheap Tiger 1. Not so Cheap

Post by MrChef »

Meter rat wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:49 pm Now painted, and I have to say looks better.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Double check the exhaust flaps orientation. I think the hinges are more towards the front. If I’m wrong please forgive me. Your tank is looking absolutely awesome.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Jimster wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:42 pm Double check the exhaust flaps orientation. I think the hinges are more towards the front. If I’m wrong please forgive me. Your tank is looking absolutely awesome.

Thank you Jimster. I does appear I have them in the wrong orientation. I’m sure I read somewhere that the way I fitted them was the correct way. They can be fitted in one of three orientations.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Now corrected, with only a small amount out of damage, which is invisible with the covers on. The other side was not so good. Luckily you get 4.
A2214213-D6A4-49D8-A8E9-95E2FC6143DF.jpeg
A2214213-D6A4-49D8-A8E9-95E2FC6143DF.jpeg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 258 times
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Yes. I got mine from East Coast Armory and luckily received 4. Very fragile boogers.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Jimster wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:08 pm Yes. I got mine from East Coast Armory and luckily received 4. Very fragile boogers.
Got mine from AFV, here in the UK.
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Great looking Tiger 1, a job well done 👍
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Meter rat wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:24 pm Now corrected, with only a small amount out of damage, which is invisible with the covers on. The other side was not so good. Luckily you get 4.

A2214213-D6A4-49D8-A8E9-95E2FC6143DF.jpeg
I've had to look a few times at that exhaust and convince myself that isn't real. Great job. I got my flappers from ECA as well and as fragile as they initially seemed they have survived 3 battle seasons of being out in the sun all day
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I just read that Tigers of the 502nd (my Abteilung) added metal “stovepipes” on top of the exhaust to hide the flames that shot out from the open flappers which gave away their presence at night. I never knew that but I might consider fabricating a couple for my pet Tiger.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

[font=]
Panzermechaniker wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:19 pm I've had to look a few times at that exhaust and convince myself that isn't real. Great job. I got my flappers from ECA as well and as fragile as they initially seemed they have survived 3 battle seasons of being out in the sun all day
Thank you
There is some good stuff from ECA. But the cost can be prohibitive to the UK.
Jimster wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:43 pm I just read that Tigers of the 502nd (my Abteilung) added metal “stovepipes” on top of the exhaust to hide the flames that shot out from the open flappers which gave away their presence at night. I never knew that but I might consider fabricating a couple for my pet Tiger.
Just read that myself.
Took mine out for a mud run, to get some natural weathering. Managed to loose both outer covers. Found one. The other is lost to the squirrels.

https://youtu.be/bjRgy-lY8oI?si=H9xBpakpaHCEm402

Return to “Tamiya Builds”