Sleep with a Torpedo

Any events that you have been to or want to tell about? If so post them here. Clubs and RC Organisations can advertise there upcoming events here.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Sleep with a Torpedo

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

On the 5th of July four of us from the Tuesday "Make Modeling Mediocre Again" gang enjoyed an overnight on the USS Cobia, a Gato class submarine built in 1943 by Electric Boat of Groton, Connecticut, US. The Cobia and its associated museum are in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, US, where 28 of the 52 Gato Class submarines were built. The sub is available as a somewhat rugged "Bed and Breakfast" (so wie eine Pension auf Deutsch) for a rather steep price (although the sub can accommodate 72 in bunks, so one might divide the cost). The four of us were treated to the overnight by one of the gang who has been fascinated with WWII submarines since his childhood.

Here's the Cobia itself:
Starbord of Cobia.jpg
Starbord of Cobia.jpg (134.03 KiB) Viewed 705 times
After playing some poker in the crew's mess area, we split up across various bulkheads to reduce snoring noise. Here's part of the forward torpedo room where I slept. You may have slept with a blond bombshell, but I slept with a torpedo.
Attachments
Sleep with Torpedo.jpg
Sleep with Torpedo.jpg (266.35 KiB) Viewed 705 times
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Sleep with a Torpedo

Post by MrChef »

Very cool experience Doc,

I've been on several WWII era subs, never slept on one of course. I even slipped onto a Nuclear attack sub USS Spadefish SSN-668 as a wee lad, in the 70's. Mom dated an officer very briefly. Got the full tour when it was in port in Groton Ct. Even when I was young I was always amazed just how small and tight it was in those tin cans. Major respect for those in the silent service. A good friend of mine was also a nuclear engineer on a boomer in the early 90's.

Thanks for sharing,

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Oh wow, that is definitely an experience to be had.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Will, can you see the cast metal loop on the side of the torpedo rack? Well, obscured by my brief case, there is also a cast iron cleat, heavy enough to secure a 3000 lb. torpedo. Since I am "of a certain age," during the night I made frequent trips (up the ladder, down the deck through the rain, into the museum) to the "head." On each return, I jumped up into the bunk backward (avoiding the ladder) and rang my noggin against that iron cleat. :O :crazy:
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Now that is a cool overnighter! Did it include a screening of "Das Boot"?

I love ships and submarines so long as they're above water, but if I had to dive to look at one underwater, even the props on your sub there, it gives me the willies. I'm fascinated by shipwrecks, but could never visit one--just gives me the creeps. Thought I was just a weirdo, but then learn I have submechanophobia when reading some comments about a shipwreck near a resort that people can kayak around and dive on. A fear of sunken manmade objects! Who knew?!

Could I manage a submarine campout like yours? Definitely!

Mike.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

"Did it include a screening of "Das Boot"?" No, but there is a WWII vintage projector in the crew's mess, along with a record player. (We left them alone.) I would guess that you have seen these already, but the classic WWII submarine movies are "The Enemy Below" and "Run Silent, Run Deep." Neither is as good as "Das Boot," but they are a good watch.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:43 pm Will, can you see the cast metal loop on the side of the torpedo rack? Well, obscured by my brief case, there is also a cast iron cleat, heavy enough to secure a 3000 lb. torpedo. Since I am "of a certain age," during the night I made frequent trips (up the ladder, down the deck through the rain, into the museum) to the "head." On each return, I jumped up into the bunk backward (avoiding the ladder) and rang my noggin against that iron cleat. :O :crazy:
OUCH!
You should have learnt after the first time hahahahaha
But it seems you survived so you can chalk that upto experience for the next time

It is such an unusual place to have a nap

Over the weekend i was doing a show with the local air museum and we decided to stay down overnight, what a view watching the sunset over historic aircraft and then waking up next to some classic ww2 vehicles and aircraft whilst having a bacon sarnie.
These unusual things we all do just make us more interesting
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “Events / Days out”