PT Boat help and advice

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

PT Boat help and advice

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

Hi Guys, hoping someone can help me with a small project being as I am a a novice on boats.

I got a PT Boat, £90 posted and with most electrics, only need a controller and battery it seems.
Yes I know we pay for what we get but I didn't want to jump straight in and pay a lot to start with and besides I like fiddling and mending which is just as well, although to be fair there doesn't seem to be much major wrong with it. :think:
Its 29 1/2 inches long and as near as I can figure out 1/32 scale, no idea who made it but appears to be some form of kit in plastic and wood, it needs a mast and all guns have the barrels broken, Ive found a single Oerlikon online but cant seem to find what I assume to be .30 cals (or were they .50 cals ? ) anywhere, one of the exhaust units is missing at the rear too so wondering if anyone can help there, some cleats are broken or missing (think Ive sorted them though)
The motor does run and runs well, pretty powerful on test when rigged direct to the battery from MY Roc Hobby 1/6 scale Jeep, what I need as I say is I think simply a controller and a battery to fit the elecs that came with it as shown in the attached pics, any advice on deck fittings etc also appreciated (not sure the life raft is correct for this) as well as paint color.

Looking for, actually hoping that there may be some second hand/used stuff out there, the pictures tell the story and give those in the know what type of controller and battery I need.
Attachments
She floats and doesn't leak
She floats and doesn't leak
20230621_150757.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 802 times
Rear exhaust assembly missing
Rear exhaust assembly missing
20230621_153949.jpg (453.57 KiB) Viewed 802 times
2 channel receiver
2 channel receiver
20230621_152245.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 802 times
Main power connection ??
Main power connection ??
20230621_152300.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 802 times
Rudder servo
Rudder servo
20230621_152325.jpg (592.73 KiB) Viewed 802 times
The motor
The motor
20230621_152330.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 802 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: PT Boat help and advice

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Big help :lolno: I tried to identify your PT boat. The closest I could find is one by the Wooden Model Boat Company: https://www.jperkins.com/search/i/jp_b_ ... odelboatco The PT Boat Wooden Model Boat Company identifies as PT 109 doesn't look at all like PT 109, but is somewhat similar to yours. Might it be what in the UK was called a Mosquito Boat?
Given the two-channel AM receiver, my guess is that you will want to change out (and may find it less expensive) to the kind of 2.4 GHz transmitter and receiver used in RC tanks.
Someone will step in here and know far more than do I; I am mostly trying to wish you great fun and success.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I'm going to say its a Lindberg PT 109
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

Hi gents ... yes been looking around myself and I think its a Lindberg too, a lot of things match up ??

As I say a bit of a novice re boats and I realise now there's more detail missing than I thought .. hopefully I will be able to replace the missing detailing :think:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I had a Lindberg PT Boat and this does look like it BUT I am puzzled when you talk about wood parts,
There were (Flimsy) metal parts but nothing in wood,
I have long wondered why the PT boat was not available in larger scale 1/16 or 1/14, I do remember the Rudders were not up to the job and keeping water out of the hull via the drive shafts was a permanant source of complaint,
More suited as a desk queen than a viable watercraft although I was in my early Teens when I built mine and at the beginning of my modelling career..
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

It is mostly plastic, but there are some wood inners re; motor etc mounts but also where the upper structure fits to the deck there is a wood surround that fits perfectly to a plastic, what I would call, 'guide rail' .. will take some pics and post them as a better explanation ...
Ive been down loading various pics of this model for comparison to mine, give me a better idea of what is missing and that hopefully I can get for it, in the meantime am sourcing transmitter and receivers for it too, all it needs to be a runner I think .. wondered if there would be any going second hand here as I said ?
Re 'leaks', well touch wood when I floated it for about 20 mins, it sat even and on removing it there was no water inside, of course it may be a different scenario after being under power ??
Attachments
Plastic 90 degree 'guide rail' for mounting upper structure
Plastic 90 degree 'guide rail' for mounting upper structure
20230622_141143.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 741 times
Wood frame under main structure
Wood frame under main structure
20230622_141152.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 741 times
Close up of wood frame
Close up of wood frame
20230622_141159.jpg (953.21 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

Had an interesting day going over the model .. been drilling holes where things had broken off and left the locating tabs in, gives me an idea of where stuff goes and what I need.
Ordered some stuff too, little finishing touches, but am at a loss as to a mast and the 'windscreen' .. :think:
Going to have to bite the bullet and buy the Oerlikon, but managed to drill some small guide holes in the.50 cal frames (and two in my thumb) 8O :/ and will get some brass or steel bar to put in as the barrels.
I don't think the person I got this from was the builder, from his description it was something he fell on or found, as in loft etc, but I do know whoever did was not a good modeller, or perhaps to be fair, as it apparently has some age to it, it could just be wear and tear that left things broken and bits missing.
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

I have I think been a little surprised at the lack of input on the topic, thinking about it though perhaps some think, as I do now, that I had bought a bit of a lemon and didn't want to say so.

I take back my comment of its condition being due to wear and tear as I dismantled it today and realised the guy was not a good modeller after all, the amount of excess glue being very evident, I took one picture of one area only, if you're of a nervous disposition don't look :/ :) .. I have realised too that the wood I mentioned earlier is non standard and was a 'mod' the guy did because of the size of the motor, it was needed to raise the height for clearance despite being totally wrong for the type of craft the model is supposed to be.
Despite all the glue I was able to dismantle most of it back to most of its component parts and after a cleaning and sanding session now have a cleaner area to work on, the second picture shows the deck structure back in place, there will be some minor filling needed but I'm happy it has gone back better and more secure.
I'm going to have to remove the motor and put it back in a lower position, its either that or cut a hole in the upper structure that will eat into the floor space of the bridge area and I'm not about to do that !!!

I did say in my original post that I liked fiddling, working on stuff and its just as well as to get this to something like it should be is going to take a little more work, It is true that you get what you pay for and I am beginning to realise that this isn't what I thought it was, still and all what I paid for it maybe covers the electrics that came with it .. :think:
Attachments
The inside of one of the deck structures showing the glue !!
The inside of one of the deck structures showing the glue !!
20230624_145333.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 673 times
The hull, deck and upper structure after I had refitted the deck buildings
The hull, deck and upper structure after I had refitted the deck buildings
20230624_170335.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 673 times
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

jarndice wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:45 pm I had a Lindberg PT Boat and this does look like it BUT I am puzzled when you talk about wood parts,
There were (Flimsy) metal parts but nothing in wood,
I have long wondered why the PT boat was not available in larger scale 1/16 or 1/14, I do remember the Rudders were not up to the job and keeping water out of the hull via the drive shafts was a permanant source of complaint,
More suited as a desk queen than a viable watercraft although I was in my early Teens when I built mine and at the beginning of my modelling career..

An 80ft elco in 1/16 is pretty big at 5 foot long give or take.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I just know zero about floaty stuff...
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”