not such a "nice one centurion"

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
OLDNBUSTED
Recruit

not such a "nice one centurion"

Post by OLDNBUSTED »

Well as i said in my intro post the Tongde centurion arrived the other day. full of hope i opened the box only to have broken plastic bits land in my lap, the remains of the front idler wheels! a quick check soon showed the front hull cracked around both idler housings , both front mud guards cracked along with two side skirt supports.
Not a good start, charged up the battery, new batteries in the controller, switch on ,press start NOTHING. Took the top off today, battery lead and one motor leads not connected, sorted that out ,tank started interesting since the switch was off, pushed forward tank turns right ect ect must have been a fri afternoon wiring job!
To cut a long story short electronics are all now sorted, a few emails to the seller and a new lower hull and idler wheels are being sent to me.
Despite the above its a nice tank and most of the faults lie with Tongde and the shipping not the seller.

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: not such a "nice one centurion"

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ouch! I am sorry you had such a disappointing experience. I am glad that the seller is to make good. I do hope you are pleased with the replacement, or at least with the seller. Please do keep us informed and ask any questions that will help you get the Centurion running well.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Ooooowww! I feel your pain.

I have been holding myself in check from buying the Tongde Centurion, with Jarndice’s words about new manufacturers ringing in my ears. Then I look at Louis’ M60 build and think ‘how bad can it be’? Then this happens.

I am going to keep saving my pennies for the Haya one.

You have to feel for companies like DKLMRC who risk their reputation by being associated with Tongde who will most likely fix the problems and make tanks as nice as Heng Long, one day.

OLDNBUSTED
Recruit

Post by OLDNBUSTED »

[quote=Estnische post_id=340105 time=1684572281 user_id=6561]
Ooooowww! I feel your pain.

I have been holding myself in check from buying the Tongde Centurion, with Jarndice’s words about new manufacturers ringing in my ears. Then I look at Louis’ M60 build and think ‘how bad can it be’? Then this happens.

I am going to keep saving my pennies for the Haya one.

You have to feel for companies like DKLMRC who risk their reputation by being associated with Tongde who will most likely fix the problems and make tanks as nice as Heng Long, one day

Haya tanks are very nice i am putting away funds each month for their Chieftain.
I think Tongde will up their game ,they will have to if they want to survive.
OLDNBUSTED
Recruit

Post by OLDNBUSTED »

Quick update on the Centurion, after a few more emails back and forth all my photographs and observations have been passed on to the factory and they have agreed to replace the lower hull with wheels, top hull, and turret mounting ring (one of the four mounting points had also cracked) these will be posted on Monday so should be here in a couple of weeks.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Silly companies that don't realize the torture test shipping will inflict.

My friendly neighbourhood post office clerk told me to make sure anything I ship is packed well enough to survive a 3m drop. Now, if the bowling ball being shipped next to it falls on it from 3m that's a whole other thing!

May your new Centurion hull be bowling ball immune,

Mike.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Check our viewtopic.php?t=30350&hilit=accordian and scroll down to the photos of a box I received from Licmas of Germany some years ago. Believe it or not, the tank survived wholly unscathed!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I completely understand the damage that plasics in its many forms is doing to destroy our planet but wnen it comes to protecting my tanks coming from China I do not think a cardboard box will do the same job as a shaped block of polystyrene will and anyone who likes to fly large scale rc aircraft would not like to return to the days of multitudes of pins and plans and dope not when a foamie does the job and for a lot less money and far easier to repair when the tree magnets pull your pride and joy to an early end.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
OLDNBUSTED
Recruit

Post by OLDNBUSTED »

jarndice wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:07 pm I completely understand the damage that plasics in its many forms is doing to destroy our planet but wnen it comes to protecting my tanks coming from China I do not think a cardboard box will do the same job as a shaped block of polystyrene will and anyone who likes to fly large scale rc aircraft would not like to return to the days of multitudes of pins and plans and dope not when a foamie does the job and for a lot less money and far easier to repair when the tree magnets pull your pride and joy to an early end.
It was in a polystyrene block and two cardboard boxes even this was not enough the survive the baggage handlers !. a part of the damage was due to Tongde shipping with the battery installed but only held in place with a small strip of double sided tape, not a good idea. mother board and speaker also not attached to hull.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

And that's the problem right there! Even HL would never ship the battery installed and that was even with their battery box cubby design that we all cut out.

Mike.

Return to “Modern Tanks”