Haya centurion first look review, and it’s crisp!

The news page threads are posted here. Threads posted here appear as a news article on the news page and on the front page of the website.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Haya centurion first look review, and it’s crisp!

Post by Estnische »

I just picked up the Haynes manual myself. Minimal info on Australian Centurions and Vietnam, but it clears up a lot about the manufacturing and updates of different Mks. that was previously blurred by anecdotal tales of deployment.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thanks to jarndice and estnische, I will add the Haynes manual to my Centurion list. I already have four books on the list, but must wait for my pension and first cover all the bills. Sigh: reality keeps getting in the way.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Ad Lav wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:24 am
Thanks! And I’m desperate to finish the T-72 and get into this, want to make it up as the one on Eastbourne sea front.
Hope your all very well 

Would love to know where that Centurion went as I walked past that most weekends with my folks when I was younger.
Apparently it went for restoration late 2009.
Attachments
dwowde5vpekbwlho0r01.jpg
dwowde5vpekbwlho0r01.jpg (282.4 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

:clap: :crazy: :thumbup: :D My Haya Centurion is home here in the US. With piles of projects waiting for my patient, pokey attention, I shoveled out beaucoup bucks for the Deluxe Centurion: metal tracks and running gear, flash, barrel smoke--the works. This is the bestest (technical term) tank I have yet.

Yes, the two two engine cover side plates snapped off, but I will have no problem at all fixing them--without even the need to touch up paint. (By now the Haya folks have probably figured out that If there is another production run, it would be best to leave them off.) Yes, it's a Clark board, not necessarily popular here on RCTW, but I have a Clark board in my Mato M10, and it's the best part of the Mato. I have no problem at all.

So now a few questions:

1) The battery is a LiPo of 7.4 V with both a Tamiya connector and what looks like a LiPo 2S balance charger plug. I have used a Tenergy Balance Charger to maintain 3.7V LiPo batteries with no problem, but never seen one with a Tamiya connector. The instructions for the Tenergy TB6-B Balance Charger/Discharger are horrendous. (That is the estimation of a retired professor who taught and still practices technical writing and who has read the Tenergy instructions over and over [and over beer and iced tea and coffee]. They drive me bananas.) Apparently I attach the Tamiya connector to the charger output and the 2S to the balance, right?

2) What are the specifications for the green of the Haya Centurion? Does the color have a name? ...a standard identifier (e.g. FS 0000 or RLM 000 or the like)? ...is there a good match in Vallejo, Tamiya, Revell or other paints?
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Fun and games with colours. Apparently it is BS381C ‘Deep Bronze Green’, also used on Land Rovers. Although, the Australian army Cents were painted ‘Lusterless Olive Drab’ (different to US Olive Drab) in some photos they have some parts in a darker green as spares came direct from the UK in ‘Deep Bronze Green’. No doubt Jarndice and others will chip in if I am mistaken.

Last edited by Estnische on Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello professor,
Apparently I attach the Tamiya connector to the charger output and the 2S to the balance, right?
This is correct, you charger should have the appropriate connector leads for the different types ie tamiya, Dean's, xtc etc just plug your chosen one in and the balance plug into it's socket, again chose the right one ie 2s,3s etc Just make sure to set the battery type to the correct settings on your charger if it gives you the option to do so, I use a B6 imax charger and it has multiple settings for different batteries, punch it in and away you go :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.

P.S ( as a side note for anyone who is reading this and is new to the hobby or unaware of the dangers of charging batteries, it is highly advisable to NEVER leave them unattended while doing so ie overnight or while leaving the house, this applies to all types of batteries but especially Lipos, also a worthwhile investment is a charging bag or pouch for added safety :thumbup: )
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have in many years in the service become familier with Deep Bronze Green and Hayas Centurion is NOT that colour, the true colour is much greener and less black, It is one of the reasons I am making a Berlin Brigade Cent in Olive Drab.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you, Lee. Yes the Tenergy TB6-B Balance Charger has all the attachments as you indicate. In fact, I had the battery set up just as you indicate (Tamiya to charge; 2S to balance, 7.4 V LiPo) but I am chicken when it comes to LiPo batteries. 8O And I second all your admonitions to use a bag or pouch and keep an eye on it. In fact, I even do the same with NiMH batteries.

Oh boy, Estnische: it's the ol' paint-go-round fun. Those of you who have read Zaloga's discussion of US Olive Drab (FS34087) know that the same problem occurs: different brands of model paints, different shades; different real tanks, different shades. The barrel on the Centurion I have isn't a close match at all the to hull colo-u-r (although I like the hull colo-u-r), and it's even a bit glossy. So I will have fun as usual. Thanks for the tip on BS381C ‘Deep Bronze Green.' And thanks, too, jarndice for your willingness to "chip in." (By the way, Estnische, did you intend the pun?)
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Doctor: I wish I could say yes, but I was working on some other obscure Tom-foolery going back in time to my childhood memories of Deep Bronze Green. Hopefully, you were exposed to it too? If not, then I am sorry.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Estnische wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:38 pm Doctor: I wish I could say yes, but I was working on some other obscure Tom-foolery going back in time to my childhood memories of Deep Bronze Green. Hopefully, you were exposed to it too? If not, then I am sorry.

Now that is Deep Bronze Green :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Hobby News”