Old R\C Aircraft radio gear recycled for model Tanks

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Old R\C Aircraft radio gear recycled for model Tanks

Post by modler »

Installment #1 M41

I have a collection of radio control planes (electric power) about 20 or so and also some spare 72Mhz radio gear that has no home.

I have several model tanks that need radio gear so I will be using this spare radio gear in my model Tanks that need radio gear.

NOTE" 2 decoupling 104 capacitors per motor must be used or glitching will occur when the motors run at any speed. If further info is needed on this topic, let me know and I will do a thread on that.

I have about a Dozen or so 1 way aircraft speed controls which I will convert for ground use if possible. I have a few ideas how this could be done but whatever it is it has to be doubled for Tank use to drive the Tracks.

The first one to get a vintage 72 Mhz setup will be a 1\35 M41 Walker Bulldog. In this Tank I will be using a DasMikro 1s dual 2 way ECS with tank mixing.

I have been trying for quite a while to get this DasMikro 1s dual ESC to work with DSM radio gear. I thought these ESC's were bad as all 4 that I bought on ebay refused to work and I even tried to get my money back from the ebay seller but he refused (the ad does not mention incompatibility with Spektrum R\C gear) so I kept trying and then tried it with Legacy 72 Mhz radio gear and all the sudden they work with this old gear. I will talk further about the DasMicro dual ESC in the future in a separate thread.

So I will be using all 4 of these ESC's with 72 Mhz receivers in this thread.
Attachments
These only work with POSITIVE SHIFT 72 mhz Transmitters!!! I have not been able to get these Das Mikro ESC's to work with DSM Specktrum Transmitters!!!
These only work with POSITIVE SHIFT 72 mhz Transmitters!!! I have not been able to get these Das Mikro ESC's to work with DSM Specktrum Transmitters!!!
IMG_9436.jpg (2.97 MiB) Viewed 7205 times
Last edited by modler on Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Old R\C Aircraft radio gear recycled for model Tanks

Post by modler »

Here are some pictures of the Tamiya 1\35 M41 Walker Bulldog. It seems to work very well with this 72 Mhz GWS micro receiver with a DasMikro dual ESC.

I will be doing at least 3 more 1/35 Tanks using 72Mhz radio gear with the DasMikro Dual ESC's.
Attachments
IMG_9437.jpg
IMG_9437.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
M41 ready for action
M41 ready for action
IMG_9438.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
Even enough room for a battery in there,
Even enough room for a battery in there,
IMG_9439.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
These are the smallest dual ESC's around but they do not seem to work with Spektrum DSM radio gear.
These are the smallest dual ESC's around but they do not seem to work with Spektrum DSM radio gear.
IMG_9440.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
There is not a lot of room in this Tank for anything but this micro GWS 4 channel fits nicely.
There is not a lot of room in this Tank for anything but this micro GWS 4 channel fits nicely.
IMG_9441.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
IMG_9442.jpg
IMG_9442.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
This is a motorized remote control version of the Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog.
This is a motorized remote control version of the Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog.
IMG_9443.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I've built the static 1/35 Bulldog--there's no much space in the lower hull. Yet it's obvious that it was once a motorized Tamiya kit.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

[/attachment]
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:47 am I've built the static 1/35 Bulldog--there's no much space in the lower hull. Yet it's obvious that it was once a motorized Tamiya kit.
The one shown here had no gearbox and was $20 on ebay, I had a spare gearbox and installed in in this Tank. Not much room in the hull for radio gear but then there is enough with the right electronics.

Well, I have about 7 models so far with aircraft electronics. Why you may ask? I have a fair amount of this aircraft gear laying around in storage and decided to put it back to work. Most of the Vintage Receivers, Transmitters are 25 years old or so but still works great :D
What is needed to make this stuff work in small scale military model is modern 1s 2 way speed controls that are fairly cheap on ebay. For this project I use three different types of ESC's.

1. Das Mikro dual 1s ESC with LVC and Elevon mixing. (picture below) This ESC has issues with DSM(x) radios and does not seem to work with them, however, they works with certain 72mhz radio systems like used here. 72 mhz "positive shift" radios seem to work good with this ESC. Of course they do not say that in the ad. It took me a year to figure this out :O They are the smallest dual ESC know to man but they have issues so I don't recommend them. They also have to be wired by hand which requires good soldering skills.

I found a dual ESC with or without a mixer that is even smaller than the Das Mikro! Have not had a chance to evaluate yet but as soon as I can I will report how that work.
Das Micro dual 1s ESC with LVC and Elevon mixing.
Das Micro dual 1s ESC with LVC and Elevon mixing.
IMG_9819.jpg (436.19 KiB) Viewed 6928 times
This is 1 of 2 transmitters that can operate this M41.
This is 1 of 2 transmitters that can operate this M41.
IMG_9821.JPG (908.09 KiB) Viewed 6921 times
Here is the finished M41 with Vintage Aircraft rc gear.
Here is the finished M41 with Vintage Aircraft rc gear.
IMG_9823.jpg (922.81 KiB) Viewed 6909 times
Shown here with a dual stick Tx channel 21.
Shown here with a dual stick Tx channel 21.
IMG_9824.jpg (712.67 KiB) Viewed 6909 times
Attachments
Here is the lastest smallest dual ESC known to man...
Here is the lastest smallest dual ESC known to man...
IMG_0314.jpg (807.05 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
Vintage 72 mhz receiver from 1999. Pretty small for its time. Stil works very well. Came from a Phase 3 aircraft model and was flown quite a bit in its day. In retirement, it now runs a rc Tank.
Vintage 72 mhz receiver from 1999. Pretty small for its time. Stil works very well. Came from a Phase 3 aircraft model and was flown quite a bit in its day. In retirement, it now runs a rc Tank.
IMG_9818.JPG (915.21 KiB) Viewed 6916 times
7 1/35 scale models with Vintage rc gear. 1 truck in there as well as a APC.
7 1/35 scale models with Vintage rc gear. 1 truck in there as well as a APC.
IMG_9814.jpg (563.69 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
These are all using <br />Vintage rc radios with newer style  1s ESC's
These are all using
Vintage rc radios with newer style 1s ESC's
IMG_9815.jpg (732.33 KiB) Viewed 6918 times
Channel 21. Positive shift, 72.210 mhz.
Channel 21. Positive shift, 72.210 mhz.
IMG_9822.JPG (770.16 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
2.2 ohm resistor on each motor  tune these 2.5 ohm motors to 4.7 ohms and allow smoother operation at low speed.
2.2 ohm resistor on each motor tune these 2.5 ohm motors to 4.7 ohms and allow smoother operation at low speed.
IMG_9820.jpg (699.75 KiB) Viewed 6924 times
Not much room in here so radio gear must be small
Not much room in here so radio gear must be small
IMG_9816.jpg (745.4 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
Last edited by modler on Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Installment #2 M10 here

viewtopic.php?t=34587
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

brilliant stuff
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Will01Capri wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:51 am brilliant stuff
Well thank you sir for noticing my work in "micro" (not 1/16) RRC.

I think it is time to do a short Video of the 1/35 Tamiya M41. Nothing fancy just a indoor Track run showing its Scale speed and track movements. I like running this one one around on the Track as it has a nice sound and has good power and crawler capabilities.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

;) Here's a test question, modler: in the instructions for the venerable Tamiya Walker Bulldog, what part is accidentally indicated to install backwards ???
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:49 am ;) Here's a test question, modler: in the instructions for the venerable Tamiya Walker Bulldog, what part is accidentally indicated to install backwards ???

Hmm, Well The Tank I have has the red taillights and mufflers facing the viewer on the box(No.55) with the main gun resting in the rear stanchion gun mount and the commander looking at you from the box. it is very strange position and I never really realized what I was looking at until now LOL. The Tank is facing backwards on the box.

The model I have is No.55 and although a" motorized remote control" version was available, No.55 does not includes any of the remote control items although it retails the excellent poly tracks and poly bushed drive Sprockets that allow interface with a metal gearbox if you happen to have one and I did. The gearbox from the "motorized remote control" kit No.27 M-42 DUSTER fits the Kit No.55 M41 Walker Bulldog as they share the same chassis and the chassis are interchangeable as well.

As for you query of the backwards part, I do not know the answer. I looked at the No.55 kit instructions quickly and was not able to see the error you refer to.
Attachments
The box No.55 says &quot;plastic tracks&quot; but they are actually flexible soft polly tracks. these are a must for RRC conversions unless you what to go all all out with metal ITL tracks.  Oh, you also need those keyed drive sprockets to interface to the metal gearbox
The box No.55 says "plastic tracks" but they are actually flexible soft polly tracks. these are a must for RRC conversions unless you what to go all all out with metal ITL tracks. Oh, you also need those keyed drive sprockets to interface to the metal gearbox
IMG_0403.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6110 times
the model on the left is the No.55 kit while the one on the right is a real motorized remote control version dated 1969 on the inside of upper hull.
the model on the left is the No.55 kit while the one on the right is a real motorized remote control version dated 1969 on the inside of upper hull.
IMG_0401.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6113 times
oh that reminds me of a M-42 Tank that is at a VFW about 8 miles from here
oh that reminds me of a M-42 Tank that is at a VFW about 8 miles from here
IMG_9947.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 6122 times
Tamiya quit being coy and spelled it out on this kit. &quot;REMOTE CONTROL(RED CAP LETTERS) DOUBLE MOTORIZED TWIN ALL METAL GEARBOX .
Tamiya quit being coy and spelled it out on this kit. "REMOTE CONTROL(RED CAP LETTERS) DOUBLE MOTORIZED TWIN ALL METAL GEARBOX .
IMG_0399.JPG (2.99 MiB) Viewed 6124 times
The gearbox in this M-41 Walker model came from the M42 kit. I have two of those that are unbuilt kits that the gearboxes are used elsewhere.
The gearbox in this M-41 Walker model came from the M42 kit. I have two of those that are unbuilt kits that the gearboxes are used elsewhere.
IMG_0398.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 6124 times
Two channel 72mhz legacy radio gear with the mysterious Das Mikro twin ESC with track mixer (elevon mixing). I say mysterious because this dual ESC circuit boards does not work with spektrum radio gear for some strange reason. They work excellent with this legacy radio gear.
Two channel 72mhz legacy radio gear with the mysterious Das Mikro twin ESC with track mixer (elevon mixing). I say mysterious because this dual ESC circuit boards does not work with spektrum radio gear for some strange reason. They work excellent with this legacy radio gear.
IMG_0394.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 6124 times
No.55 comes as a static model but retains poly tracks and poly bushings for the drive sprockets same as used it motorized remote control versions. This kit has no date of production anywhere that I can find but does have some 6 digit coded numbers which probably reflect date of manufacture.
No.55 comes as a static model but retains poly tracks and poly bushings for the drive sprockets same as used it motorized remote control versions. This kit has no date of production anywhere that I can find but does have some 6 digit coded numbers which probably reflect date of manufacture.
IMG_0395.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 6124 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Ah, there is a bulkhead reinforcing the lower hull. The bulkhead is intended to snap the upper hull to the lower, making is possible to open the hull halves to insert batteries. But the bulkhead is indicated backwards in at least two of the kits from about 5 or 6 years ago. This is useless information--unless someone wants to build one and even RC it.
backwards Bulldog.jpg
backwards Bulldog.jpg (172.47 KiB) Viewed 5899 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”