Taigen V3 disappointment

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Kyoz84
Recruit

Taigen V3 disappointment

Post by Kyoz84 »

Hello all finally got my leopard a26 taigen in the mail with literally all the features such as servo turret elevation and recoil, turret flash and smoke plus painted in a beautiful matt finish I absolutely love the appearance. But soooooooo disappointed in the system. I feel there was no point in getting all these extra upgrades if I cant even operate the turret the timing is even off for the recoil is recoils and pushes the shell out my question is.. is there a hack to get up and down manual turret movement and fix the timing with the Taigen v3? Or should I just rip it out and get the tk7.1? Will I still be able to keep all the features?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Teigen V3 disappointment

Post by Jimster »

You will always be disappointed with factory electronics. Since the Elmod Fusion Pro is discontinued I highly recommend the Beier board and a good hobby grade radio. That Taigen Leopard deserves it.
Kyoz84
Recruit

Post by Kyoz84 »

Jimster wrote:You will always be disappointed with factory electronics. Since the Elmod Fusion Pro is discontinued I highly recommend the Beier board and a good hobby grade radio. That Taigen Leopard deserves it.
Thank you. I actually have a beier in my lesu truck and a beier SFR-1-HL pending another project. I was just hoping the TK7.1 would be a good cheap upgrade?

Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Taigen has not developed his boards for a long time, which is rather comparable to older 5.3 type HL baords (except for a much larger selection of sounds). Take into account that by changing to 7.1 you will have to resolder / rework all the inputs, because the new HL boards no longer use 8-pin cable. In my opinion, also the new HL boards are not so great, with poor sounds and no possibility to modify anything.
Kyoz84
Recruit

Post by Kyoz84 »

Kaczor wrote:Taigen has not developed his boards for a long time, which is rather comparable to older 5.3 type HL baords (except for a much larger selection of sounds). Take into account that by changing to 7.1 you will have to resolder / rework all the inputs, because the new HL boards no longer use 8-pin cable. In my opinion, also the new HL boards are not so great, with poor sounds and no possibility to modify anything.
Haha that's what I was afraid to hear. I guess ill keep it stock till I feel its really necessary to upgrade. The only thing that really disappoints is the turret operation lol such a shame for such a detailed and robust kit to have such a simple turret operation especially for the money.

If I switch to my hobby grade transmitter is it possible to rewire the turret control?

Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

You can connect hobby grade receiver to V3 board (via included small connectors) and then try setup in on the radio.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Kaczor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:53 am You can connect hobby grade receiver to V3 board (via included small connectors) and then try setup in on the radio.
But be warned that if you do, you will not have machine gun sounds available.
Its a thing that Taigen have admitted and no one has come up with a solution for.
Also, the timing of the Taigen recoil/flash combo can be altered slightly by trimming the scroll a bit that allows the barrel to trip then reset. take a small amount off at a time which will bring the timing closer together. I also added a smal length of scrap to the flash microswitch that then hits the flash a bit sooner than it normally would when combined with the trimmed scroll, seems to be a good compromise.
I get that this should not be a thing that needs to happen, but from a mass production point of view, those masses dont care about such details are the bulk of the market $$, us bunch of loonies are a fraction of it !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Kyoz84
Recruit

Post by Kyoz84 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:
Kaczor wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:53 am You can connect hobby grade receiver to V3 board (via included small connectors) and then try setup in on the radio.
But be warned that if you do, you will not have machine gun sounds available.
Its a thing that Taigen have admitted and no one has come up with a solution for.
Also, the timing of the Taigen recoil/flash combo can be altered slightly by trimming the scroll a bit that allows the barrel to trip then reset. take a small amount off at a time which will bring the timing closer together. I also added a smal length of scrap to the flash microswitch that then hits the flash a bit sooner than it normally would when combined with the trimmed scroll, seems to be a good compromise.
I get that this should not be a thing that needs to happen, but from a mass production point of view, those masses dont care about such details are the bulk of the market $$, us bunch of loonies are a fraction of it !!
Thank you. I'll give this a try.

MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Curious whatever came of this?

My first tank is a Taigen and I love it. Weight, detail, sound, robustness, torsion suspension, Etc. But now that I've gotten more into the hobby I've added several Heng Longs. I like how the Heng Long TK 7.0 control is much more precise for driving , turning, adjustments, adjustable controls on the handset, as well as cannon elevation and depression not having to cycle it. So I take it's just not a swapping out the TK 7.0 board for the V3. And now I'm learning I'd lose the MG sounds...

Swapping a Tk 7.0 or a 7.1 was an idea in the back of my head. I guess it's not that easy. But damn it'd be the best of both worlds.

Anyone else try it?
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

Jimster wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:35 am You will always be disappointed with factory electronics. Since the Elmod Fusion Pro is discontinued I highly recommend the Beier board and a good hobby grade radio. That Taigen Leopard deserves it.
I have been wondering for a while, why was the Elmod Fusion Pro discontinued? I luckily have one for my Panther D project and an Elmod for my Puma too.
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)

Return to “Heng Long”