Something different ?

This board is for discussion of replica or original uniforms and equipment (such as rifles, mg's, airsoft).
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Something different ?

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

I thought I would contribute here as its pertinent to the subject .. ( and anyway I need to get some posts in so I can at least a get stripe on my sleeve ) :/ :D

I portray a WWII US War Correspondent/Photographer and to that end have acquired uniform and accoutrements to fit, including putting together a basic 'field office'.
Most of my uniforms are original, as are the accoutrements to go with it, where I can manage it, getting nothing dated past 1943, and in 2007 when I got into it all, stuff was pretty much available and at the right prices, looking at prices now I doubt whether I could afford it, all of the cameras are original, 1930's and 1940's dated, and they are all used as I shoot on film and try to recreate 1940's pictures, coupled with that theme I aalso have a uniform for the portrayal of a Signal Corps photographer.

The other representation I do is that of an Officer in the 1st AMS (American Motorised Squadron) .. what's that some of you are probably thinking, well its a branch of the Home Guard that was only seen in London being made up as it was of American diplomats, office workers etc who were there at the time, they wore British BD but had their own weapons and badges, info is online about them. The BD is repro but most everything else again is original and for that scenario I have a choice of two weapons to carry in the Sam Browne belt, both original, a Colt 1873 SAA and a Colt police positive from about 1919, I also have a Kimar model 1911 in 8mm blank, (no pic, sorry) with repro Colt grips and I have managed to get a plain slide for that so no 'Kimar' markings show at all.

I'm not going to say too much more but will let the pictures tell the story hope its of interest and fits the topic ..
Attachments
The cameras .. all period dated, all working.
The cameras .. all period dated, all working.
_20170401_130624.JPG (251.49 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
_1650595 (2).jpg
_1650595 (2).jpg (918.59 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
2014_0927_15402300.jpg
2014_0927_15402300.jpg (255.56 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Signal Corps photog (2).jpg
Signal Corps photog (2).jpg (319.79 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
With members of WR28 Haworth HG, 1st AMS Officier is to the right
With members of WR28 Haworth HG, 1st AMS Officier is to the right
D7C_0437.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3688 times
D7C_0524.JPG
D7C_0524.JPG (2.67 MiB) Viewed 3688 times
2nd Gen Colt 1.JPG
2nd Gen Colt 1.JPG (140.27 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Something different ?

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Excellent! Thank you! I am in the Phancy Phone jut now, but tomorrow I will get these on the big screen. I am eager to see the uniform and patches. My father was in the U S Signal Corp, South Pacific. He set up communications on islands before they were officially invaded by allies. It was ugly, so he said little about it. All his records burned in the St. Louis fire.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Something different ?

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

For me, these photos are great fun: I find the details of uniforms and equipment interesting and impressive! Of course, I envy the lucky owner of the Jeep (although I don't know if my legs would even fit between the seat and the pedals). And then, too, the officers standing around always look as if they are ready to attack a pub. :P

Return to “Uniforms / Equipment”