Tamiya KT bits and build

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Tamiya KT bits and build

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Hi All,

just about to start my KT build. Have asked questions on here before about the bits that would be needed to make the kit better and workable in some instances. Have the :

Henntec track tensioner
brass elevation arm
DKLM gearbox brace.

Aesthetics have some of the voyager photo etch
Loads of reference books (more than in the pics)

have done loads of reading on here and also some excellent websites such as Rads blog https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... #more-1081 and the Narita king tiger build http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/kingt ... _frame.htm

So before I plough into this I have a couple of questions that anyone's experience would be great to answer

The plastic tracks are properly disappointing and look very flimsy. The eternal question, should I put metal ones on. If I do does everything else (arms, wheels etc) need upgrading?
Gearboxes ok or do I need to do anything with them?
Aesthetically the kits ok, just ok though, the moulded handles are a p*ss take for 600 quid, however some brass will remedy that. MG is awful, hull one too.
Zimmerit, Atak or do it myself? Have done it before, milliput and a flat head screwdriver, took ages but satisfying. If its a DIY job is milliput the way forawrds of a better one?

Are there any other upgrades that anyone would say would be needed before I jump into it. Of course that's a 'how longs a piece of string' question however what essentials have I basically missed, looked for schumo bits however everything is out of stock!

Thanks in advance all!

cheers

Dave
20220921_192053.jpg
20220921_192112.jpg
20220921_192153.jpg
Last edited by Gillaspy2005 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tamiya KT bits

Post by tomhugill »

Hey Dave,

A bit hard to get hold of but the schumo mg34 and mount are very nice. With the idler upgrade and brace you should be ok with metal tracks. Just make sure you get some tamiya compatible ones, I don't think the Toro ones were when I checked last time.

Gear boxes will hold up l, you may fine them on the fast side. Drop in options are the modellbau spigel ones, the ETO armour ones or impacts (if you can get them). They did do drop down gears but I found they tended to eat the stock gear boxes.

Honestly these days id get the Toro KT and use the money saved for upgrades, that or a second hand tamiya but that's a bit late now!
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

tomhugill wrote:Hey Dave,

A bit hard to get hold of but the schumo mg34 and mount are very nice. With the idler upgrade and brace you should be ok with metal tracks. Just make sure you get some tamiya compatible ones, I don't think the Toro ones were when I checked last time.

Gear boxes will hold up l, you may fine them on the fast side. Drop in options are the modellbau spigel ones, the ETO armour ones or impacts (if you can get them). They did do drop down gears but I found they tended to eat the stock gear boxes.

Honestly these days id get the Toro KT and use the money saved for upgrades, that or a second hand tamiya but that's a bit late now!
Thanks Tom. Great advice on the mg34 and mount. I'll have a look online again, they were out of stock I think at axels modelbau and the shipping costs from Germany are utterly nuts now!

I will probably do the metal tracks then, I dont see this one being run all over however those plastic tracks look like they would break running on paving slabs!

Got the kit about 3 and half years ago, got some overtime on a go live at work and treated myself, with hindsight a torro one would have been better I do agree. I have scratched the tamiya itch though now Image

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

Hi Mate.You could look at my post [Pre Production King Tiger] to see what I did to try to make mine as bullet proof as possible using stock transmissions One thing I would add is a set of of axles support bearings . If you cant get the Schumo ones,here is two options of suppliers that have their version for a KT. Panzer parts Modellino and R C Tank de. With R C Tank de, school across the top of their front page and you will find Tamiya parts. You will find their axle support bearings for Tamiya KT there. I have used a set of these.Lots of photos .Regards John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya King Tiger [Porsche turret]
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

John Glover wrote:Hi Mate.You could look at my post [Pre Production King Tiger] to see what I did to try to make mine as bullet proof as possible using stock transmissions One thing I would add is a set of of axles support bearings . If you cant get the Schumo ones,here is two options of suppliers that have their version for a KT. Panzer parts Modellino and R C Tank de. With R C Tank de, school across the top of their front page and you will find Tamiya parts. You will find their axle support bearings for Tamiya KT there. I have used a set of these.Lots of photos .Regards John.
Thanks John, had a look through your thread and the supports look good, found them on rctank and I will get those ordered. Looking through the Pre Prod thread you have a 2mm base plate to stop the flex, something you made or bought from somewhere? Is it worth doing or will the gearbox brace be sufficient?

Also I went down the rabbit hole and looked at the thread about fixing the bushing on the final drive. Seen that you had to have one engineered, bit beyond my contacts that! Shame that there isn't something I can buy, unless in the meantime you know of anything? if not I'll listen to toms advice and have the replacement gearboxes ready for when the tamiya ones inevitably fail!

Oh I couldnt find the schumo MG 34 anywhere. Found this on shapeways though, might help someone out who is looking for it too

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UM3S3 ... 8&li=shops
MG34.PNG
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

HI. I made the 2mm belly plate. The transmission brace plus axle support bearings will help the life of your transmissions and I think a must if you are going to run steel tracks. I have three Tamiya King Tigers. First two I used the Schumo axle support bearings and the RC Tank de bearings on the third .Easy install. I am getting close to my assembly of my second King Tiger and will post this soon. Enjoy your build. regards John.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

John Glover wrote:HI. I made the 2mm belly plate. The transmission brace plus axle support bearings will help the life of your transmissions and I think a must if you are going to run steel tracks. I have three Tamiya King Tigers. First two I used the Schumo axle support bearings and the RC Tank de bearings on the third .Easy install. I am getting close to my assembly of my second King Tiger and will post this soon. Enjoy your build. regards John.
Thanks John, appreciate the reply. Have found a firm online that will cut plate to size and I'll drill holes myself for the belly plate. Did you use the screws that came with the kit or did you have to change these due to the increase in overall thickness?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
John Glover
Lance Corporal

Post by John Glover »

The fasteners for the belly plate are 3mm x8 and 4mm x20 for the transmissions. These are panhead Allen key or some refer to hex drive. I avoid using Philips head screw fasteners when I can because if you strip one your stuffed. The 3mmx8 I got from Ali Express[cheap as ]and the 4mm x20 I got from a local engineering shop[you only need four. A little bit of advice. The DKLM brace has a gold cross bar which is held together with four countersunk screws and once these are tight it is locked together exactly how it is made .Of coarse but you may find you need a slight adjustment with the brace when installing the transmissions to get them sitting correctly and parallel to the hull. When you are happy with the transmissions positioning ,now tighten the four countersunk screws of the gold cross bar. I use a jeweler's screwdriver and don't forget to use a little bit of lock tight. I use the kits lock tight as it will enable you to disassemble as its not to strong but it is not meant to be .I cringe when I see someone using a powerful lock tight as I think [Good luck if you ever want to pull that apart] I also have a Daryl Turner brace and he only had two countersunk screws in his cross bar so he realized that you may need some adjustment .Hope that helps. Regards John.
Last edited by John Glover on Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tamiya King Tiger
Tamiya Tiger 1
Tamiya Panther
HL/Taigen Stug 111
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello, just for information, if can help
https://www.customrcmodels.com/files/RC ... braces.PDF
Jofaur86