Jagdpanzer iv l70 rescue

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
tomhugill
Captain

Jagdpanzer iv l70 rescue

Post by tomhugill »

Im a sucker for a Jagdpanzer, when the opportunity for a tamiya one came a long I thought why not. Well as it would transpire several reasons! Aparently the photographs on the original add flattered to deceive. When it arrived, poorly packaged with one side of the box ready to split open I was worried. Closer inspection showed that the build wasn't the best in places, skirts incorrectly assembled. Lots of crap strewn on the engine deck, the suspension springs were mostly out their mounts. Happily nothing destroyed that couldn't be reassembled but work definitely required. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Jagdpanzer iv l70 rescue

Post by c.rainford73 »

Very nice restoration project Tom, I will enjoy watching your progress!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Upon closer inspection you are correct Tom, it appears the crew was setting up for a garage sale between battles :crazy: , maybe some of it could be repurposed for stowage....

It's a wonder it arrived as well as it did considering the lack of packing materials on one side, poor thing shifted everywhere it could have been far worse.

I'm confident it will become yet another museum quality piece in you're hands
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thanks to forgebear I got some bits to get the Jagdpanzer squared away. First order of business is the atak zim. I know certain quarters disparage its use but I think for those that don't fancy a 3 day date with a screw driver and some putty it's a very reasonably priced alternative, (the resin mantlet and saukoff separately would cost a good chunk). In this instance I'm using it to cover some of the iffy paint work after it's been sanded flat. It went on really well with little alteration needed. Next up is the lower hull zimImageImageImageImageImage

Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I spotted this one on eBay - a bargain but it seems it’s condition warranted the cheap price!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Ad Lav wrote:I spotted this one on eBay - a bargain but it seems it’s condition warranted the cheap price!
Thankfully it's mechanically sound and the bits are there but I think if it had cost more I'd have felt miffed
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Rest of the zim squared away, the lower hull stuff in the sides needed a bit of trimming but nothing too drastic. I've also tidied up all the super glue and excess paint off the roof and engine deck as well as removing the tools. I'll make up some.photo etch clamps for these and paint them off the tank to add later when paintings finished. I definitely think I'm going to go for the steel wheels on the first bogie. MK modellbau does a set with bearing which should do the trick nicely ImageImageImageImageImageImage

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

tomhugill wrote: I definitely think I'm going to go for the steel wheels on the first bogie. MK modellbau does a set with bearing which should do the trick nicely
Nice start. Was this steel wheel on the first set of suspension a thing as I've now seen both you and Barry doing it? Must be a late war change when rubber was getting really scarce for the Germans.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

tankme wrote:
tomhugill wrote: I definitely think I'm going to go for the steel wheels on the first bogie. MK modellbau does a set with bearing which should do the trick nicely
Nice start. Was this steel wheel on the first set of suspension a thing as I've now seen both you and Barry doing it? Must be a late war change when rubber was getting really scarce for the Germans.
Thank you! I belive it was due to the nose heaviness of the Jagdpanzer IV, the steel wheels were more durable. That or as you say lack of rubber. I've seen panthers with the last wheel steel for that reason
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

Love this restoration!!!
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...

Return to “Tamiya Builds”