My Farther

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

My Farther

Post by Meter rat »

Whilst clearing out our house, I found the photograph of my farther I had been looking for a while. It is believe of him as a driver, and driving instructor during his national service, in, and for give my ignorance, either a Comet, or Cromwell.
42D7B7F3-5473-461C-A6DC-A4005B2C5A3F.jpeg
Farther being a humble person never really spoke about his time in the army. Only really saying he got on and did it, and that he enjoyed his time there. He was a keen athlete, running for his regiment (The Scottish Horse).
He did say that he became an instructor, because his regiment was posted overseas, possibly Korea, whilst he was on leave, and when he got back, the army did not know what to do with him.
I did ask him on many occasions to tell me more, but he usually changed the subject, which was the same when I asked him about my grand parents.

I know my grandfarther in Derby, on my mother’s side served in the First World War, in the bicycle machine gun corp, and was at the Somme. My grandfather on my farther’s side in Aberdeen was in a reserved occupation, as he worked on the land, That must have been again in the First World War. From what I can gather they were both to old for the Second World War. My Scottish grandfather must have served in the military at some time.
918B3F7F-61BC-4890-8D47-AFEA7FC7589F.jpeg
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: My Farther

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Evidently, your Father was an instructor for the Cromwell (Forerunner of the Comet); since the tank in the photo is a Cromwell. The serial number on the front armour plate could be used to uncover more details. The Cromwell was in service until 1955- well within the period National Service was in play. Hope that helps.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Ancestors”