Roc Hobby 1/6 jeep

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
jee
Staff Sergeant

Re: Roc Hobby 1/6 jeep

Post by jee »

Nice Jeep.

@Will, maybe this is ok for you?

https://tessier.work/categorie-produit/ ... ed-models/
it is a free 1/6 Willies Jeep to print

Will01Capri wrote:Maybe i have missed in the text, but what i would say is that height is a poor way to check scale on these models. Remember also the chassis is completely unlike the real thing as the ROC jeeps have a rather modern suspension in comparison to a leaf sprung original vehicle.

I would just suggest measuring scale on Length & Width to get a better idea. But honestly with most models there is something not quite right and out of scale.

These ROC jeeps are a cracking piece of kit however and i am looking forward to getting my hands on one of these, or i may resort to building my own. I need some 1/6 scale stuff for our model exhibitions and 1/6 always seems to get noticed easily haha
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

jee wrote:Nice Jeep.

@Will, maybe this is ok for you?

https://tessier.work/categorie-produit/ ... ed-models/
it is a free 1/6 Willies Jeep to print

Will01Capri wrote:Maybe i have missed in the text, but what i would say is that height is a poor way to check scale on these models. Remember also the chassis is completely unlike the real thing as the ROC jeeps have a rather modern suspension in comparison to a leaf sprung original vehicle.

I would just suggest measuring scale on Length & Width to get a better idea. But honestly with most models there is something not quite right and out of scale.

These ROC jeeps are a cracking piece of kit however and i am looking forward to getting my hands on one of these, or i may resort to building my own. I need some 1/6 scale stuff for our model exhibitions and 1/6 always seems to get noticed easily haha
That's too easy, i never like to print others items. much rather put myself thru the pain of creating my own hahahahahahaha
Are there many people out there who have made this jeep and got some test videos though? Be good to see one used and abused
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

WCP RC MODELS wrote:
jee wrote:
That's too easy, i never like to print others items. much rather put myself thru the pain of creating my own hahahahahahaha
Are there many people out there who have made this jeep and got some test videos though? Be good to see one used and abused
I know you love to create your own, but if you want a eyecatcher rather quickly this is a good option I think.
I have unfortunately no idea if somebody ever printed it.

As soon as I have my printer again available, I will try it soon.
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

Hi all, many thanks for the replies and comments, I have to agree it is a cracking little model and runs well, but it is a shame I feel that the scale is effectively incorrect which is no big thing to a point maybe but is I find a little frustrating when trying to match a 1/6 scale figure and stencils for a realistic and 'authentic' finish

The actual size of a jeep is as in the attached picture which is of the specs as marked on the side of a 1945 Ford I was in today ie;
Overall height .... 69.75 inches or 1771.65mm or 295.275mm at 1/6
Overall length ... 132.25 inches or 3359.15mm or 559.85mm at 1.6
Overall width ... 632 inches or 1574.8mm or 262.46mm at 1/6

The Roc Hobby 1/6 scale specs are
Overall height 270mm
Overall length 530.5mm
Overall width 258mm

Interestingly I'm about 5' 10" and I noticed today my eyeline was about level with the top of the windscreen and had the canvas top been fitted I would have needed to hunker down a little so as not to rub my head on it, so perhaps in having a 12" figure sitting slightly high isn't too far off the mark for realism purposes ??
Regarding the windscreen sizes, the real one measures 50 inches (1270mm) wide along the top line whereas the model measures 8.125 inches (206.375mm) and is 22.5 inches (571.5mm) high whereas the model measures 4 inches (101.6mm) .... the end result being that the model, although looking good, is a mishmash of mismatched sizes and not in reality 1/6 scale overall which I find to be a shame, but perhaps being 'new' to this sort of thing, maybe I'm expecting too much ..??

I have to admire the knowledge and depth you go into all of this, but in talking about 'printing' your own stuff, whoa .. way above my head guys .. :) ..

Can I ask again though, has anyone tried a leaf spring conversion on these things, as I say I have a leaf spring set but am loath to try to experiment on this one the work I have put into it, what I have done re the suspension given I have read about these leaning a little with a figure in, is to wind the springs right back which seems to help and let it run evenly.
Attachments
20220829_152009.jpg
20220829_152009.jpg (51.96 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
Last edited by Pine-Tree72 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Pine-Tree72 wrote:Hi all, many thanks for the replies and comments, I have to agree it is a cracking little model and runs well, but it is a shame I feel that the scale is effectively incorrect which is no big thing to a point maybe but is I find a little frustrating when trying to match a 1/6 scale figure and stencils for a realistic and 'authentic' finish

The actual size of a jeep is as in the attached picture which is of the specs as marked on the side of a 1945 Ford I was in today ie;
Overall height .... 69.75 inches or 1771.65mm or 295.275mm at 1/6
Overall length ... 132.25 inches or 3359.15mm or 559.85mm at 1.6
Overall width ... 632 inches or 1574.8mm or 262.46mm at 1/6

The Roc Hobby 1/6 scale specs are
Overall height 270mm
Overall length 5305mm
Overall width 258mm

Interestingly I'm about 5' 10" and I noticed today my eyeline was about level with the top of the windscreen and had the canvas top been fitted I would have needed to hunker down a little so as not to rub my head on it, so perhaps in having a 12" figure sitting slightly high isn't too far off the mark for realism purposes ??
Regarding the windscreen sizes, the real one measures 50 inches (1270mm) wide along the top line whereas the model measures 8.125 inches (206.375mm) and is 22.5 inches (571.5mm) high whereas the model measures 4 inches (101.6mm) .... the end result being that the model, although looking good, is a mishmash of mismatched sizes and not in reality 1/6 scale overall which I find to be a shame, but perhaps being 'new' to this sort of thing, maybe I'm expecting too much ..??

I have to admire the knowledge and depth you go into all of this, but in talking about 'printing' your own stuff, whoa .. way above my head guys .. :) ..

Can I ask again though, has anyone tried a leaf spring conversion on these things, as I say I have a leaf spring set but am loath to try to experiment on this one the work I have put into it, what I have done re the suspension given I have read about these leaning a little with a figure in, is to wind the springs right back which seems to help and let it run evenly.

Excellent info there and perfect place to share it. Thanks i will remember these when i do my own
I haven't done a conversion of one of these, if i had one, i would definitely try.
I did however manage to convert some micro crawler axle to work with leaf springs on my 1/16 version, so without being big headed, it would be easily possible on a larger model.
I am doing just that with a 1/9 scale Mack R600 i am building and i am shaping and tempering the leaf springs myself
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

Im not above giving a conversion a try, as an RAF photographer we were also taught what was termed 'first line servicing' ie, if a camera developed a fault we tried to repair or if we couldn't had to write a report for a technician, as such I am used to 'fiddling' to use a word with small items etc, the thing being as I said, with the work I have put into this one I would rather not start to dismantle again which Is why I wondered if anyone maybe had a suitable scrap chassis lying around, doesn't need to have a motor at this stage.

Regarding scale and sizes, a couple more for the more discerning among you and those that can print their own ...

The hood on the real things is 33.25 inches (844.55mm) hinge to front edge along its center line, or 140.75mm at 1.6
The body width at the drivers seat position excluding all exterior handles etc is 57 inches (1447.8mm) or 241.3mm at 1/6

The model hood measures 130mm and the body width 235mm, again hardly an accurate 1/6 scale, and all in all the whole model is somewhat disproportional (disproportionate ?) to the real thing ... but ... all that aside, yes it does look OK .. but again .. perhaps we were happier not knowing all that, which after all only really came about for me because of the disparity of 12 inch figures when sat in it .. ??
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

They actually made a better job of the 1/12th rc one. Better scale size and leaf springs.
Pine-Tree72
Recruit

Post by Pine-Tree72 »

Yes seen one of those close up, they do look good and are a better closer copy I think .... interestingly enough, what got me into getting the 1/6 scale one was that my kids asked me what I wanted as a gift one birthday, jokingly I said 'a jeep' .. surprise surprise they got me one ... have you seen the 1/10 scale 'cheapies' ? ..
They sell about for about £60 and are a bit basic but a good copy too. leaf springs etc and all around lights. there is no 'glass' in the screen and the tool holders are basic, needless to say I 'fiddled with that too, Painted it the correct OD, fitted thin perspex to screen, modified axe and shovel holder as well as folded carriers for canvas top, made some wipers, used narrow elastic again for canvas straps and got a friend to freehand detail the markings for me, basically trying to take it from a flat out toy into a model, pic attached for possible interest.
Biggest problem I had with that one was getting a 1/10 figure as a driver, none around that I could find, so used a Dr Who set figure with minor mods to it .. sort of works ... maybe ??? :)
Attachments
_DSC6668.JPG
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

Pine-Tree72 wrote:Yes seen one of those close up, they do look good and are a better closer copy I think .... interestingly enough, what got me into getting the 1/6 scale one was that my kids asked me what I wanted as a gift one birthday, jokingly I said 'a jeep' .. surprise surprise they got me one ... have you seen the 1/10 scale 'cheapies' ? ..
They sell about for about £60 and are a bit basic but a good copy too. leaf springs etc and all around lights. there is no 'glass' in the screen and the tool holders are basic, needless to say I 'fiddled with that too, Painted it the correct OD, fitted thin perspex to screen, modified axe and shovel holder as well as folded carriers for canvas top, made some wipers, used narrow elastic again for canvas straps and got a friend to freehand detail the markings for me, basically trying to take it from a flat out toy into a model, pic attached for possible interest.
Biggest problem I had with that one was getting a 1/10 figure as a driver, none around that I could find, so used a Dr Who set figure with minor mods to it .. sort of works ... maybe ??? :)
Hubby converted these and made a small kit to fget them sitting better ride height wise and wheelbase
Also do a cool driver to sit up front

phpBB [video]

British driver up front, but i suppose we could do other drivers if put mind to it
You are right, they are odd scale, but for the money you cant go wrong and they can be made to drive really well
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

If we ignore their moment of madness producing 3 3/4 inch Dr Who figures one year, I believe the majority are 5 1/2 inch figures. Yet 1/10th should be a 7 inch figure which I think would look too big.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”