M10 Achilles Scratchbuild 3d Print

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M10 Achilles Scratchbuild 3d Print

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Ecam, it may appear easy but a great deal of work, headscratching, hair tearing out by the roots, lots of medicinal alcohol, and finally something that justifies it all. What I get a lot of pleasure from is then enabling others to build models that aren't available as retail, or as kits at huge cost. Basically I'm doing an Airfix act except people have to print their own parts before assembling them and that gives me a real kick. :crazy: :haha: :haha: :D

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Busy reprinting the hull skirts due to a snafu in the design, and while they are printing I designed the rear hull top
Still loads left to design

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

After a straight 19 hour print the new turret is looking good
and with the counterweights it looks even better
Onwards and upwards :haha: :haha:

Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Are the counter weights solid? When I did my duck bill, it used a fair amount of Bondo and ended up balancing the aluminium barrel nicely. Not needed with our powered turret gear, but I thought it was cool.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The counterweights have 30% infill, if any counterbalancing is required you could always drill a hole in each and fill with lead shot. I am hoping to do a 3d printed barrel which will negate the need for counterbalance weight. :D

Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

I'm sure it's not needed. Have plenty of unbalanced turrets that have no issues. In fact, my duck bill is the only balanced one. But on the real M10 series they were all manual traverse (other than a prototype), the plan was to power the turrets but the war ended. No idea if the M10's that made it to Korea were upgraded.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The lower skirts are now on after a lot of unnecessary fiddling around, more haste less speed. The rear deck is also done and she's starting to look pretty.

I think that's it for today, the sun is shining (for a change) and I feel the need for some relaxing liquid refreshment at ease in the garden! :haha: :haha: :D

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I forgot to post these two pictures, I hope they're useful without being too late :{
Attachments
cc61fc08-c8da-440b-b716-1b34f4e1ece1.jpeg
cc61fc08-c8da-440b-b716-1b34f4e1ece1.jpeg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 622 times
dde76059-14ec-4f11-b9f9-a1df5d6ec6ba.jpeg
dde76059-14ec-4f11-b9f9-a1df5d6ec6ba.jpeg (15.26 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Mick, every picture helps to get the details accurate.

The front armour and mudguards are printed and fitted, I even managed to get the hinges in.

There's still quite a bit of detailing to do on the upper hull. plus I've got the driver hatches to do on the front of the upper hull. I'm trying to steel myself to make them open but it is going to be very complex as they open diagonally Dohhhh... :crazy: :/ :haha:

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Progress is really being made here Alwyn. Did these have the hull mounted track grousers like the M36 etc...

Also the tracks on the photos Mick provided look like panzer IV pieces, or did they also come with standard sherman tracks?
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”