Electronics for Asiatam Famo - for the benighted

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Electronics for Asiatam Famo - for the benighted

Post by tankme »

That's funny because I just got back from Tacoma, WA visiting my mother. I drove through Spokane.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Oh, I am still at it, but among too much hobby fun and an active retirement, I can be slow at any one project. Here are the electronics I have laid out for testing. So far I know the receiver is bound to the transmitter, the servo tests well, and nothing has produced acrid smoke :D . I have read page upon page of instructions in English and German, watched YouTube "how to" videos, and nothing is entirely clear to me. :eh: The SGS board seems to be telling me that it wants the steering servo, motors, and speaker hooked up before it will decide to work. Hmm...
Electronics 11-11-22.jpg
Electronics 11-11-22.jpg (318.58 KiB) Viewed 868 times
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hello my Friend,
the connections are easy to made...
Electronics 12-11-22.jpg
Electronics 12-11-22.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 859 times
The Servo comes at the connector at the end of the cable - colour to colour.
At the green 1 + 2 marked connectors, connect the motors.

The channels 1- 3 must be connected, all others are optional.
Channel 1 = conector X50 = Steering
Channel 2 = conector X51 = Accelerator
Channel 3 = conector X52 = Light + Horn

The Stick for Channel 2 (= accelerator) at the Transmitter have to be centered when the SGS-electronic is powered on.
The SGS-electroinc will prove this and did not start if the stick is not centered.
Connect the Speaker at X70.
SGS.jpg
SGS.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 859 times
Thats all.
Now the SGS should work.

If the direction of the motors wrong, change red and black cable at the connector.
Is the steering of the tracks wrong, swap the connectors between X01 and X02.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Electronics foro Asiatam Famo - for the benightedm

Thank you, Herr Hamm: you have been a most excellent help to me. Actually, I knew all those connections already, but I was just reminding anyone watching watching that I was still working at the FAMO.
However, I am delighted to have your drawings because they confirm that I am proceeding correctly. What is more, your drawings are clear and simple, better that any instructions for electronics I have yet read or viewed. That is not empty praise. I taught technical writing for 25 years and I write a monthly technical article on agricultural equipment.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

To operate, the SGS module wants to have a minimum of connections before it will work and to have the sticks centered before starting (I realize that the left stick is not centered in the photo.)

"Sie müssen nicht alle Verbraucher gleichzeitig anschließen, es reicht aus, das Modul mit Strom zu versorgen und alle Servokabel einzustecken, die nicht als „optional“ gekennzeichnet sind. Eine einfache
It is not necessary to connect all functions at once; it suffices to supply the module with power and to connect all servo cables that are not identified as "optional." A simple

"Funktionskontrolle erlaubt der Lautsprecher, weil je nach Aktion ein entsprechendes Geräusch abgespielt wird. Sie sollten den Lautsprecher daher bei den vorbereitenden Tests immer anschließen."
control of functions allows the speaker [to function] because each action plays a corresponding sound. So the speaker must be connected to prepare for testing the functions.

I have independently tested the battery, switch, steering servo, blackout light LED, speaker, motors, smoke unit. The transmitter works to operate my Jeep. I suppose the receiver could be defective, but it indicates that it has bound correctly to the transmitter. So far, I still get the flashing LED and no action, a sign that the SGS is still not hooked up adequately and/or correctly.

Although the problem could be from who-knows-what, I am wondering about two ambiguous factors. 1) I have only one LED hooked up; the control X52, connected to indicates that more than one light function can be supported. 2) I have not connected to the receiver cables #4 and #5, marked with corresponding 4 hashmarks and 5 hashmarks, as these are optional for a winch and (apparently) for allowing some types of transmitters to identify the specific model's receiver. 3) This SGS module for the FAMO is supplied with two pre-soldered cables indicated as cable #1 (i.e. with one hash mark) and indicated for steering. I have connected the steering servo to the cable with the sleeve as the manual specifies and jhamm confirms above. Could any of these three (or whatever else) be causing the problem?

All Connected 1 RCTW.jpg
All Connected 1 RCTW.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 820 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I wanted to use the Flysky that runs my Jeep so well, but after nearly six months of on-and-off fiddling, baffled by the refusal of the electronics to work as connected in the image above :headbang: , I came up with a simple idea: try another transmitter and receiver. :/ I decided to try the Multiplex transmitter and receiver that came with the FAMO kit from Asiatam.

So I connected up and bound the Multiplex transmitter and receiver, and--right on command the smoker started smoking, the drive sprockets started turning, the coordinated steering servo and drives started doing the twist, the horn started honking, and all the while the sound was roaring as if the pistons were really pissing!

All I could think was, "Well I'll be a blue-nosed gopher!"

;D A Tyro's Tip: you all know about those magnifying goggles so useful for old guys who are modeling---the ones that make you look like Gort in the classic sci. fi. movie The Day the Earth Stood Still. Well, they are a great help when soldering 28 gauge wire, but they limit peripheral vision. And that hot-hot-hot soldering equipment is always on the periphery. :O

;D Another Tyro's Tip: keep some nice cool water nearby for emergency finger cooling.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

From here out, this incredibly slow build moves back to Herr Doc's Famo at viewtopic.php?t=33379&start=20

Return to “Other electronics”