1/35 M4 Halftrack(s) to RRC Tamiya, Testors

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 M4 Halftrack to radio remote control with MTM gearb

Post by modler »

Captain Morgan wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:31 pm Great job!

I'm starting to try myself in the "animation" of models in 1:35 scale:

https://youtube.com/shorts/V3WQe5LtYMs
Very nice. Some day soon I will do a 1/35 Tank with active suspension.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 1/35 M4 Halftrack to radio remote control with 1 MTM gearbox

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

It's good to hear from you again, Modler! Thanks for the M4 video, entertainment on a winter day.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:35 pm It's good to hear from you again, Modler! Thanks for the M4 video, entertainment on a winter day.
Well I lost my "in home" work shop but finally able to do some model work at my new car\model shop which I work on classic cars and models of all types with an electronics lab on the side :)

Decided to improve the gearbox mount on the Half track with a one screw mount that allows easy removal of the gearbox for service, motor upgrades, gear ratio swaps etc. I ordered 6 additional motor\gearboxes of different gear ratios so I can tune this model for optimum torque vs speed. MTM gearbox\differential needs to be removable to achieve this. I figured this mounting strategy out on a M10 Tank destroyer back in August of 022 and will now implement it on this M4 Half track.

These fancy micro gearboxes are a game changer for "animating scale models". I tried several times over the decades of years (45) to animate this M4 with limited success and was not able to use the stock M4 frame in those attempts but kept the frame in the hopes that some day I would be able to use it so as to have a accurate model of the M4 in 1.35 scale. I have about 35 1.35 scale models that are RRC and a few have been with me for decades so they are not too pretty to the casual observer. They are like time capsules to me and I get much pleasure seeing them MOVE under their own power ;)
Attachments
10 MTM gearboxes directly from France. Also extra motors and metal gearboxes from ebay shown in lower right.
10 MTM gearboxes directly from France. Also extra motors and metal gearboxes from ebay shown in lower right.
IMG_9346.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 43931 times
part of the work shop area
part of the work shop area
IMG_9363 (1).JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 43952 times
close up of screw mount. This model is 45 years old! You can see sand on the frame from Tucson Arizona (1982) when it sat in my model junkyard for 2 years.
close up of screw mount. This model is 45 years old! You can see sand on the frame from Tucson Arizona (1982) when it sat in my model junkyard for 2 years.
IMG_9360.JPG (680.14 KiB) Viewed 43952 times
work in progress
work in progress
IMG_9355.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 43953 times
with the screw all the way in it is clear of any metal parts
with the screw all the way in it is clear of any metal parts
IMG_9354.JPG (1003.27 KiB) Viewed 43953 times
correct orientation of case half and metal motor drive
correct orientation of case half and metal motor drive
IMG_9353.JPG (903.74 KiB) Viewed 43953 times
placing the axle is a little tricky with 2 bearing lined up
placing the axle is a little tricky with 2 bearing lined up
IMG_9350.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 43953 times
ready for final assembly
ready for final assembly
IMG_9351.JPG (928.56 KiB) Viewed 43953 times
Screw mount a success
Screw mount a success
IMG_9359.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 43953 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Since you and I are on different Great Lakes, but not across the big pond, I have questions about sources:

1) What brand and where did you get this handy-dandy looking micro drill set?
IMG_9355.JPG
IMG_9355.JPG (88.92 KiB) Viewed 43915 times

2) Do you have a good source for miniature hardware? Hobby stores are expensive; I scrounge, even dumpster dive for anything that looks like it might yield miniature hardware, but still, a reliable source with variety would be helpful.

3) I use at least four types of glues, adhesives, and cements on models, with five more used on occasion, but what kind of glue is this?
IMG_9346.JPG
IMG_9346.JPG (27.49 KiB) Viewed 43915 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:27 am Since you and I are on different Great Lakes, but not across the big pond, I have questions about sources:

1) What brand and where did you get this handy-dandy looking micro drill set?
IMG_9355.JPG

2) Do you have a good source for miniature hardware? Hobby stores are expensive; I scrounge, even dumpster dive for anything that looks like it might yield miniature hardware, but still, a reliable source with variety would be helpful.

3) I use at least four types of glues, adhesives, and cements on models, with five more used on occasion, but what kind of glue is this?
IMG_9346.JPG

Guten Morgen Herr Dr. Professor
The micro drill pack is available on ebay.
I scrounge micro screws\hardware from old industrial electronics and miniature radio control toys, Radio control planes (GWS), Helicopters and the like.

The candy in the picture came from France and was a little bonus with my MTM order :D Nice people to do business with. Oh, and I do use a uncommon German glue called UHU POR Styrofoam adhesive 40g tube.

I will post some pictures asap. Internet is very slow today.
Attachments
German Por glue is a must have glue as it is flexible and unique in its properties.
German Por glue is a must have glue as it is flexible and unique in its properties.
IMG_9377 (1).JPG (93.55 KiB) Viewed 43874 times
micro drill set on ebay
micro drill set on ebay
IMG_9376.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 43874 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

With the GB secured and with the proper track tension, the M4 Half track is now back on line with no track slippage.

Here are the things I have done to make the MTM GB installation more robust and serviceable.

1. Modified the axle assembly so that it is a 1 piece steel axle inside the 2 piece plastic outer axle. Then the outer plastic axles are joined in the middle with CA glue after fittings the ring gear in flat keyed center of the 2 piece black plastic axles.

2. GB mounting hole drilled into correct half of GB shell. This allows service and or repair or motor change.

3.Plastic tie strap secures the black plastic outer GB shell. This along with screw mount allows GB shell to come apart as opposed to being glued in place.

Yes I know this model is beat up due to many attempts at "animation" but thats OK because it is the prototype and future models will be much better esthetically I'm sure.

So the major elements of animation for this model are.....

1. UM servo added to modified toy steering escapement for steering. I would have used the stock steering had it been present.
2. Improved Ultra Micro MTM GB for track drive using the stock polymer tracks with strengthened stock track bogie system.
3. 1s DSM2 6 channel radio system featuring low power 1s 30~100 mAh lipo operation.
Attachments
Black Tie strap secures the 2 piece GB shell. To access inside the GB shall, the Tie strap is cut.
Black Tie strap secures the 2 piece GB shell. To access inside the GB shall, the Tie strap is cut.
IMG_9373.JPG (2.56 MiB) Viewed 43867 times
MTM GB reattached with 1 screw mount.
MTM GB reattached with 1 screw mount.
IMG_9374 (1).JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 43867 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thanks for the help on the POR glue and the handy-dandy looking micro drills (as if I need more micro drills :/ ). If that POR works on styrofoam, it might be quite handy for materials that can be damaged by solvents. Oh, and, yes, your M4 Half Track is a veteran. :P I am impressed that you kept it all this time. I wish I had done the same.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:35 pm Thanks for the help on the POR glue and the handy-dandy looking micro drills (as if I need more micro drills :/ ). If that POR works on styrofoam, it might be quite handy for materials that can be damaged by solvents. Oh, and, yes, your M4 Half Track is a veteran. :P I am impressed that you kept it all this time. I wish I had done the same.
Yes and I am very attached to this model. A little paint job and some repair work to the body and it would be presentable ;) But that won't happen as I like it as is :wave:
Attachments
Tie strap holding the GB shell together. This shot is before trimming excess. If GB access required, the Tie strap is snipped away and after repair or upgrade, new Tie strap secures the GB. So this is a Hobby Grade Gear box as it can come apart for service, motor swap etc.
Tie strap holding the GB shell together. This shot is before trimming excess. If GB access required, the Tie strap is snipped away and after repair or upgrade, new Tie strap secures the GB. So this is a Hobby Grade Gear box as it can come apart for service, motor swap etc.
IMG_9372.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 43810 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

modler wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:29 pm
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:35 pm Thanks for the help on the POR glue and the handy-dandy looking micro drills (as if I need more micro drills :/ ). If that POR works on styrofoam, it might be quite handy for materials that can be damaged by solvents. Oh, and, yes, your M4 Half Track is a veteran. :P I am impressed that you kept it all this time. I wish I had done the same.
Yes and I am very attached to this model. A little paint job and some repair work to the body and it would be presentable ;) But that won't happen as I like it as is :wave:

The photo shows a tie strap mod for holding the GB together instead of gluing it together. This mod makes the Gearbox "Hobby Grade"
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

modler wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:48 pm
modler wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:29 pm

The photo shows a tie strap mod for holding the GB together instead of gluing it together. This mod makes the Gearbox "Hobby Grade"

Testing the M4 HT proves this mod and the GB screw mount works great.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”