3D Printed Comet from 3dprintedtanks

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Styx 2022
Private

Re: 3D Printed Comet from 3dprintedtanks

Post by Styx 2022 »

Finally bit the bullet(shell??) and did some weathering. I'm reasonable happy with it but I am sure it could be a lot better. I still need to add all the accessories but this will do for the moment as I am taking it to a local model show this weekend.
I still have an issue with un-balanced speed controllers but I will replace these in the near future and I need to improve the sound quality.
Attachments
038.jpg
038.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Looks great. Inkor is working on a Comet so when it comes out I will probably buy it since it's going to be scaled to 1/16. Is it two different models of speed controller? Reason I'm asking is a lot of times it's the motors that are not timed the same. Especially in a tank because one of them is running forward and the other one reverse when the tank is moving straight forward. Motors have timings either forward, reverse, or neutral. The motors we use in tanks are typically neutrally timed. If one of the motors you are using has a different timing than the other it could be the motors causing the issue. My guess is the issue is it's pulling to one side or the other going straight?

Derek
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

Thank you for your comments Derek. I am using 2 Quicrun 1060 brushed ecs's and 2 identical motors. I have tried every combination of wiring, motor and esc and it is always the same. The esc has a neutral dead spot, about 20% travel before anything happens. I will replace it soon. Have you a link to any other Inkor designs?
The Comet tank build journey is almost at an end now and it has been great fun. Much to my Wifes disappointment and am looking for another tank project for the Autumn.
tankme

Post by tankme »

Yeah, my ex-wife didn't understand either. I would be 1000% happy for my significant other to find a hobby she loves and enjoys. Just saying. :)

Definitely sounds like you troubleshot it down to the ESC. I'm going to assume then the throttle limits were programmed also.

This link shows all the available models and the ones coming up soon.

http://rc3dtanks.site/

Derek
Derek
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

After a bit of a break from building the Comet I finally got it finished. It has been a great project and I have enjoyed every minute of it. The files printed very well and the assembly went together with ease.
3dprintedtanks should be congratulated on a great design and value for money.
Which on is next?..............
Attachments
043.jpg
043.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 5518 times
042.jpg
042.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 5518 times
041.jpg
041.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 5518 times
040.jpg
040.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 5518 times
039.jpg
039.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5518 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

As you probably noticed, Styx 2022, I have been following your build all along. In fact, at one time when I was considering getting a 3D printer, you made helpful suggestions for which I am grateful. I took that seriously and read up on the subject. After careful thought (especially since the 3D printer would have been a gift from a fine woman!), I decided against going into 3D printing. My reasons were that I have way too many hobbies and projects already and that the expense is one I do not need at this age and income level. It was not an easy decision.
You say you work in a "toolroom." To me the "toolroom" is a temperature-controlled place where tools are stored and calibrated with great care for accuracy. Is that right?
Now as to your Comet: I admire your work, and I find the hatches especially unique. I am tempted to look for a book on the Comet. Moreover, you have done well with the painting, and the weathering is just right, for not every tank was beat to smithereens. What a fine accomplishment!
tankme

Post by tankme »

It's looking great. Makes me jealous mine isn't done, but I have a bunch of FDM parts to reprint with mine as the filament used was not great. Now that I printed my first resin parts today for another project, I should be able to finish a bunch of projects including my Comet.
Derek
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The finish is refined, subtle, and altogether laudable! You also have some very impressive fine detail on display there. Some printed tanks exhibit tell-tale obvious signs of the printing process; (rows of fine parallel lines, for example) ...lines, that is, which are practically impossible to conceal; but yours doesn't. :thumbup:
All in all, it's a worthy and inspirational piece of work. :clap: Now, we need to see a video of it being put through some proving trials!.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

Thank you Professor for your kind words. I understand your dilemma about getting a 3D printer, they do seem to take over your life!
Your comments about the Comet mean a lot to me, its good to get the seal of approval.
Will I print another tank? Not at the moment as I have a 1/4 scale vintage glider on the building board, After that, who knows,
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

tankme wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:27 pm It's looking great.
Good luck with your Comet, looking forward to seeing some pictures

Return to “3D Printing”