s.I.G 33 Converion

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Re: s.I.G 33 Converion

Post by Jnewboy »

Looking good, I think the last one of these were lost at Stalingrad. This is the first of the enclosed variety for assault guns next would be the Brummbar and eventually the Sturmtiger. :thumbup:
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Jnewboy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:32 pm Looking good, I think the last one of these were lost at Stalingrad. This is the first of the enclosed variety for assault guns next would be the Brummbar and eventually the Sturmtiger. :thumbup:
thanks and I have nearly got a full set bar the early and mid Brummbar.
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Just to keep everyone in the loop despite me being obsessed with my 1/10th Brummbar I am still plodding along with this project.

I am fitting the tracks and re fitting the electronics.

But the motor on the right side (top in picture) appears to have developed a fault ant was reluctant to turn at full speed or power.
I have swapped over ESC.s and the fault stays on that side.
Pluss the battery dies very quickly when trying to drive the tank I don't know if its the motor causing it or its not actually a 5000 mAh battery and a crappy smaller one as its from fleabay.

So my cunning plan was to at first get a couple of Tamiya torque tuned 370 motors but as I have this old buggy that is hard to get parts for with a 370 sized brushless setup just sitting in my shed it was cheaper to get a second brushless setup of the same type so I ordered one.
But its going to be a ball ache to get the gearboxes off to do the swap and I may wait till my shed feels less like a sauna :crazy:
But I wont be beaten by it and will get it done.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Have you tested it with the tracks off ?
Could be the pigment has grabbed to various bits and bobs adding rolling resistance to that side .
Worth eliminating as a possibility before getting that ache !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:18 pm Have you tested it with the tracks off ?
Could be the pigment has grabbed to various bits and bobs adding rolling resistance to that side .
Worth eliminating as a possibility before getting that ache !!!
Its always been a bit slow on that side even without tracks fitted just put it down to needing to adjust the handset trim but it definitely appears to be the motor as it was fluctuating while turning at one point even after cleaning it out with electrical cleaner and giving it a quick shot of wd40 to help it along .
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

baldrick131 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:08 pm
Jnewboy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:32 pm Looking good, I think the last one of these were lost at Stalingrad. This is the first of the enclosed variety for assault guns next would be the Brummbar and eventually the Sturmtiger. :thumbup:
Nice!! I really want an early Brumbar, I have the late conversion kit from Junkenburg back in the day
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Jnewboy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:44 pm
baldrick131 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:08 pm
Nice!! I really want an early Brumbar, I have the late conversion kit from Junkenburg back in the day
If you have a 3d printer you could print off one of my kits to build one
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4561513
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

The new motor and esc arrived so time to dismantle the gearboxes and all I had to do was remove the E clips on the drive shafts and loosen the pinion on the shaft and pull it out.

The new motors fitted to the frames

I had to drill the motor pinions to loctite a piece of tube in them to create a reducing sleeve to fit the new motors.

Pinions refitted back on

Refit the gearboxes back in the hull

now to fit all the bits back in the tank a bit of a rats nest in there.

And finally I can try it out I still have a few bits of paint to do and fit towing cables and luggage on the rear carrier but I am happy with it so far.
phpBB [video]
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That is a splendidly grubby-looking winter camouflage job. :clap: I see from the video, too, that your s.I.G. 33 can really move out! Those red motors must produce remarkable torque right at the start.
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:40 pm That is a splendidly grubby-looking winter camouflage job. :clap: I see from the video, too, that your s.I.G. 33 can really move out! Those red motors must produce remarkable torque right at the start.
Too much to be honest it flies along it a sports tank :D

Return to “3D Printing”