s.I.G 33 Converion

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

s.I.G 33 Converion

Post by baldrick131 »

After getting as far as I can with my Aurdino TCB unit I have now started to convert a Panzer 3 into a S.ig 33 Self propelled gun using a Taigen lower chassis and a Henglong Stug upper.
I am going to do it for common filament printers but as I now have a resin printer I may make some parts with that as I havnet used it yet.
First job was to remove any parts of the upper hull to leave the bare carcass ready to measure up to create a simple cad model
After a load of time with bits of paper with downloaded plans and a reference book to guide me I made a start with my cad models in Onshape
This is how far I have got with it so far.
but I have been doing test prints as I have progressed to get the footprint to sit on the hull properly while trimming the hull to to fit it.
I will trim it more as I go but I tried to leave some front sections in to keep some strength in the hull.
Next part will be getting the cannon sorted and fitting in servos to give it full movement.
But I couldnt help but print a less detailed casement just to see what it should look like.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: s.I.G 33 Converion

Post by Kaczor »

Cool project. Here is my friend's RC SIG 33 for inspiration ;)
Attachments
IMG_20220430_124620.jpg
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Kaczor wrote:Cool project. Here is my friend's RC SIG 33 for inspiration ;)
That looks good I think I'm going to paint mine gray with winter camo and weathering.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

These pictures may suit your needs for inspiration then. This is a 1/35 scale vignette that I owned a few years ago ( now sold unfortunately ) a sig33 crossings a small river. Hope they may be of some help to you :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

Model Builder 4 wrote:These pictures may suit your needs for inspiration then. This is a 1/35 scale vignette that I owned a few years ago ( now sold unfortunately ) a sig33 crossings a small river. Hope they may be of some help to you :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.

Thanks that is definitely the look I will aim for and those will be a great help :clap:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Love the project Mr Baldrick................I'm sure a readily available conversion kit would be a good side hustle ;)

That vignette is outstanding Mr MB4 ..........what did you use for the water effects ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Love the project Mr Baldrick................I'm sure a readily available conversion kit would be a good side hustle ;)
I intend to put all stl files for it on thingiverse along side my brummbar models so anyone can have a go at making it
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That vignette is outstanding Mr MB4 ..........what did you use for the water effects ?
It is a clear resin product Herman, if I remember correctly it's called something like 'magic water' not sure who manufacturers it though. The disturbed waters shown in the last pic below the duck/goose and around the reeds at the rear is clear silicone which has been stippled to represent the water movement :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

There are various fake water products made for model railroading layouts. This is Magic Water: https://www.unrealdetails.com/.
I suggest a search for a suitable 1/16 goose or duck (maybe Schleich has something https://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/home ) and a diorama into which the RC s.I.G 33 can be fitted for display and removed for running. I think its a great diorama.
baldrick131
Lance Corporal

Post by baldrick131 »

I have been busy on the computer and done a load of work on the gun assembly.
These are pictures of the latest version.
I have printed a few parts for it only to re design them for a better version
This is the version before and I Wasn't happy with the lever position on the gun for the recoil action as I want as long as possible movement on it.
The latest parts are printing as I post this so it wont be long before I can hook it up to my arduino TCB and try it.

Return to “3D Printing”