DUKW Scratch Builds

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: DUKW Scratch Builds

Post by Ecam »

Enough side tracking.

The tape on the hood is to keep it from coming off (I will eventually add magnets to hold hood on). The wheel and rudder steering are one servo. The wheels and prop are separate. Those two small motors running the prop are way more than I expected. Before I got the camera up a full power blast had water coming over the bow!

Points that need addressing:
1 Make a working bilge pump system or stop the leaks.
2 Add weight to the rear to get it a bit more level in the water.
3 Repair little driveshaft between rear axles so it will climb out of the water better.
4 Get new cells for the DUKW, these yester year Ni-cads have just a couple minutes of run time....
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

You're a braver man than me sending it into open water for the first test drive! :haha:

Excellent work with the scratch-build, a real feat of engineering. I'm excited to see how it goes!
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Thankfully my pond is not that deep and I was prepared to get wet.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I have found two leaks. I can tell where the water is coming inside but I can't find cracks or holes on the outside of the hull.

I removed the battery packs between the fenders and will be using two Li-ion battery packs in the rear corners (1800 mah 7.4v same as the one in the Priest).

Added some lead stick on wheel weights to the rear. I moved the 540 with gear reduction as far back as I could. DUKW floats much more level. The speed controllers are now between fenders. Steering servo, receiver and ESCs are all elevated from hull floor in the event some water enters.

Looking for a waterproofing coating for the outside hull, but don't want something too thick. Anyone have a recommendation?

Additional pictures and perhaps a video coming soon.
Last edited by Ecam on Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Steering: Upper link on servo arm heads to a bell crank well above the water line. The lower link heads back to the rudder.

The rearranged innards. Was able to link both of the ESCs to one switch (and it still works).

Battery

Lead weights are stuck to the underside of the deck just above and behind the battery packs.

And now that I know it will float, am starting the details to complete the model.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Duck is in the tub soaking right now (15 minutes so far). I rummaged through the big shop and found a can of Helmsman's spar urethane, a couple brushed on coats on the underside, and a few extra at the seams. Primed, enamel paint and then a top coat of olive drab seems to have done the trick. It is below freezing (barely) outside a a promise of 10 degrees warmer tomorrow. I leave tomorrow afternoon to head to my daughter's place in near Oklahoma City. She recently had back surgery and needs help around the house. I'll also be making Thanksgiving dinner next week (will be my first attempt at a turkey). I will try and get it back in the pond before I leave for pictures and video. I'll upload most likely on Friday.

My son in law has several 3D printers and has been doing it for a while. I recently bought a Creality printer and hope to get an education while I am out there.

Edit: After soaking for an hour, the two leaks I found during the brief swim are fixed. There is a slight leak between the fenders on the right side. However it only allowed a tbsp (15 ml) of water in the hour. Good enough in my book.

Eric
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ahh Oklahoma..............I miss it. Spent a lot of time in Enid for work.
Steaks at Chicaro's was a huge highlight(just dont wear your cap in the door) and "wings-to-go for lunch as much as I could stuff in me :{
One eventful evening I got on the gas with a Marine recruiting sergeant.............well he had me ready to sign up ! Damn he was good.

Glad you got the thing watertight, be a shame to turn it into a submarine after all your work.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Remember what I was saying it was cold outside. Had to clear out some ice to get a brief video (will try and get that posted up with my daughters help, they have a you tube channel). Here are the pictures from today.

The figure is one that Alpha sent to me in early 2016. I used him because he is somewhat poseable.

Remember what I said about hoping the Heng Long axles could cope with the weight? Well they didn't. I am going to have to upgrade. Climbing out of the water the pinion gear on the front axle spun on the input shaft. The rear pinion feeding the twin axles shed it's teeth. I've found a set of metal upgrade axles (three}. They are aluminum housings and it states steel gears.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Haven't had time to edit and post the video yet. But did order replacement axles on Friday morning, and they arrived Sat night.

For $43 they are a really good upgrade for my duck. The pinion is one piece for the gear and shaft, there are bearings throughout (pinions have two) and the look like a direct swap for the plastic axles. I'm going to wait to install until I get back home, as there a far too few tools around here.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

So with a suggestion from AlwynTurner I bought a Creality Ender 3 V2 3D printer. It arrived in September and I've done almost nothing with it. I spent a couple hours with my son in law who got me started with a program that allows me to take a file and ready it for printing. I get to use one of his printers while I am here at my daughter's house helping her out.

Here are some samples of what I've managed to download, convert and print.

For the floor of the cargo deck on the duck and the floor of the Priest.

OK, the last picture is not my work... The Jeep hull is what he printed teaching me the basics.

Eric

Return to “Other Builds”