3D - printed Merkava tank

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Conor
Private

3D - printed Merkava tank

Post by Conor »

Hey y'all
While googling around on Merkava models (because it just is my favourite tank hands down) I found this: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/merkava-mk-iv

Has anyone ever printed it? I've bought and downloaded the STLs for now, I have an FDM printer that definitly has the necessary size to tackle this - I'M having a go at it now, gotta see how this works. First round I'm planning on printing in PLA - (will be cheaper to print and easier to glue) the final model will be in PETG (as far as I know nothing really sticks to PETG paint-wise and glue-wise, is this correct/does anyone have experience on that?)

I'll keep pictures posted as I progress.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Re: 3D - printed Merkava tank

Post by jee »

I dont have the Merkava (I don't like it :D)

But I suggest you visit the Discord group suggested on Cults3d.
There are a few guys who printed it (or busy with it) and Inkor always respond (if possible)

Edit: (but I think you just joined :D)
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Yeah, I just did, haha! I'm having a look at all of the images and STL files to see fi I can understand how this tank goes together.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

you need to post lots of pictures of the model and printing process
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I have paid for a few files from that designer. If you are a rivet counter there will be be aware that some of them won't be that accurate for the tank if that matters to you. I've had PLA 3D parts warp in the Texas sun so I'm not sure PLA is the best thing for tanks being run outdoors. I'm going to try ASA in my printer to print 3D tanks (and probably ABS for tracks and wheels), but I'm new to 3D printing.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

That may be the case yes (the dimensional inaccuracies) but in the end this is all done on an FDM printer so the amount of detail is going to be limited to begin with.

Oh no, PLA is absolutely useless for any outdoor running, which is why I am only printing the running gear as a test (to see if I can actually assemble a working lower hull) - this (same as the top) will be re-printed in PETG (I can't print ABS, my printer is sitting int he living room)

Printer hard at work printing the hull bottom

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Good luck with all the prints. I'll be in same boat as you soon as there are tanks out there I want to print.

I just printed my first ABS test today and it went well (see the 3D printer thread). I also have some PETG and ASA to play with, but my printer is completely enclosed so ABS doesn't seem to be an issue.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

This is how things came out of the printer this morning:

I was using the wrong type of support and printing in the wrong orientation so the tank's belly is a bit ... lo fi. I've ordered PETG filament so I am just going to keep printing replacable parts now (Like rollers, etc) and see what sort of optimum settings I need

Supports came of fairly easily, though in the process I stabbed my finger with the screwdriver I was using to dislodge them.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You have graduated to the 'Blood for Progress' club !!
great job on this by the way, Hooben could learn a bit on how to do this I hear :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

HERMAN BIX wrote:You have graduated to the 'Blood for Progress' club !!
great job on this by the way, Hooben could learn a bit on how to do this I hear :/
The Hooben one is propably going to be more detailed than my product - and the vote on durability is still out (though I feel the suspension arms are fairly thick and with enough infill this should be fine in PETG. If it does break from time to time at least getting spare parts is easy, haha.)

I had a look at it before but eeeeh, it's a bit too pricy for what it delivers.

One sprocket and one drive wheel have been printed, test-wise, with new support types, and they've both worked out well. I'm printing the remaining road wheels in PLA now until my PETG arrives. Road wheels are easily swapped once the tank is done even if they do melt/break, and printing all of them is still a multi-day job.

Return to “3D Printing”