3D - printed Merkava tank

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: 3D - printed Merkava tank

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I avoid terrain like that at all costs.
It blocks the track pins, and fills up the spaces in the running gear which essentially over tensions the tracks momentarily.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Small pebbles = lost tracks or even worse fried main board.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

tankme wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 pm Since I'm at work I can't see the pics and vids as big brother blocks them, wasn't this 1/16th scale? Heng Long was supposed to release a Merkava so if they do they will probably have tracks and sprockets in plastic and/or metal. Might be a future solution to the problem.
There was a plan yes, but I'm fairly sure it won't be compatible as the designer tends to do his own sizing. There's also the option to print the tracks in something like PA-CF if they keep breaking but I'm not super unhappy wiht the fact that the tracks present as the weakest link - I'd rather have them snap than sprocket failure or god forbid, a fried board/motors.
HERMAN BIX wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:11 am I avoid terrain like that at all costs.
It blocks the track pins, and fills up the spaces in the running gear which essentially over tensions the tracks momentarily.
So it would seeem, though I've been running without front fenders and it hasn't happened again so far. I'll try and avoid sand until it is much drier.
tankme

Post by tankme »

If it's Inkor's design it uses standard HL gearboxes. That's why I was saying that more than likely the tracks and sprockets would transfer over.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

tankme wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:47 am If it's Inkor's design it uses standard HL gearboxes. That's why I was saying that more than likely the tracks and sprockets would transfer over.
Oh yes they use standard HL gearboxes. But the issue is potentially in offset and such. HL offsets their modern tank gearboxes much less than his design which uses short shaft GBs everyhwere. I have the HL challenger which will not fit red motors becauset he space between the boxes is too narrow

The tracks might transfer, but at the same time I may also simply print them in nylon if I really want a stronger track. But then you'll have the sprockets breaking etc and having the track as the weakest link isn't all bad, given how easy it is to replace/print.
Conor
Private

Post by Conor »

Printed some of the last baubles that attach to the tank, mostly MGs and such. I've also modified one of them to act as an IR emitter so I don't have to drill an additional hole into that tiny mantlet. Works just fine when testing wtih my chally 2

This is more or less the end of this project. I may modify the front fenders (they are removed atm to provide less resistance for foreign materials ingested into the suspension.) but apart from that I am done.
The paint and such could definitly use more detailing but sadly I suffer from tremors in my hand that preclude me from doing any small/delicate paint and detailing work.

For now she remains an excellent runner and will hopefully see some use in a hypothetical IR battle in the future.

I'm currently printing parts for an M1A2 because reasons so we'll see if I will upload this too
tankme

Post by tankme »

It's a nice looking build.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Lov'n the Merk mate, nice job
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
bowlman
Corporal

Post by bowlman »

Looks good turned out nice
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:clap: :clap: :clap: What you wizards do with 3D printing never ceases to amaze me. Well done! You should be satisfied and eager to show it off to others. I am rather unfamiliar with IDF AFVs: what paint did you use for the final color? Is there a book you would recommend on IDF color? ...on the Merkava?

Return to “3D Printing”