Iraq, Challenger 2

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Iraq, Challenger 2

Post by fv432 »

Nice one matt forgot about that part LOL
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

hehehe ;D ;D ;D cheers mate
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

dont forget, we brits invented the tank, and to my knowledge today most all MBT's worth a mention, use chobam armour, who invented that?, we brits did of course,  the challenger 2 is a great tank, as far as modern tanks go(i like ww11 tanks), i didnt see the film you guys are on about, but i did see top gear awhile ago when a chally2 was chasing jeremy clarkson in a range rover, trying to get a lock on him, if i was the gunner in that tank, i would of loaded her with a live round ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

1-0 to the H.E.S.H round me thinks

was shocked to read that the abrams is a bits and pieces tank with the leopard technology used for the running gear setup and hull design with our chobam armour and our main weapon  :o :o :o :o

anybody else heard this :o :o
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

yes except i heard the abrams has leopard gun, except smooth bor instead of curved! ;D ;D

cheers,

Matt
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

not certain on this but the 105 was a gun idea made for the centurion and put onto the leo 1 with there own changes to it

but not 100% on that
will go now ;) ;D ;D
Rivetcounter
Sergeant

Post by Rivetcounter »

Abrams has a German 120mm rifled gun same as the Leopard 2A5 has the same Armour as a Challenger, thus far 2 Challengers have been Knocked out last I heard 2000 Abrams had been knocked out mainly an RPG through the engine vents in the rear, Abrams has it's roots in the Pershing family though leopard has influenced it and the design is over 20 years old.
Centurion was the first tank to be installed with a 105 gun but Tiger II was being developed to have this gun
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

ah so the gun idea was pinched from the germans then ;D ;D

appreciate the info rivet
on one site i visited they said that they used the leo 1 for the design of the abrams
Tanxalot
Private

Post by Tanxalot »

The Leo is a fairly conventional design, armed with a German-built version of the British L7 105-mm gun. The design started as a collaborative project between Germany and France in the 1950s (wikipedia)
The Leo 2 was a joint effort between the USA and Germany, but eventually after tests between the Leo and their experimental XM1 (the Abrams prototype) the Americans pulled out of the collaboration and went down the Abrams route and the Germans continued the development of their Leo  The 120 mm Rheinmetall cannon was fitted to the Leo and in tests it was found to be far superior to the 105 mm L7 mounted on the Abrams, which was confirmed by subsequent NATO tank gunnery contests. As the 1990s began, Rheinmetall began developing a 140 mm smoothbore cannon as a future tank cannon. (wikipedia)
Too much month left at the end of the money!!
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

And there's plans to fit a 120mm smooth bore to the Chally. So they can use standerdisd ammo.

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”