IS-2 "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: IS-2M "BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT"

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:My 2 cents worthless: Bix, for 1/16, I like Mr. Surfacer 500 as the primer for the whole tank, as it creates a slightly rougher texture, perfect for WWII Soviet AFVs. Now back to the bottle---er--spray can with you.

Its a bit thick for an over all primer for me Herr Dr, but I agree it is very good product.
Certainly ideal to help cover the sins gone before ;)
I will use my normal ferocious red oxide primer(when I restock) and very likely another 'lunar-module' gun metal silver over that.
And then ?.....................yip, green :problem: :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

???? ????????????

BRUTE OF THE PROLETARIAT

Well at least thats what my google translate says ?
If you see this Mr Jee, could you check that im right please.
Or Mr Artem Redarmy.
I'd hate to be led astray by an online translator and end up actually painting "cross Dressing Nancy Boys" or something equally as demeaning ;)
I've had a few ex-pat Russians come along to our stand at shows & wouldnt want to get the message that I'd royally (insert rude concept emoji of your choice) up :{
Mucked around with tow cable positioning, and disturbed fuel tank retaining straps, just because I couldnt help meself.
I've seen a lot of rear-end pics of JS tanks with what I assume to be field applied tow cable retaining pins welded on the rear plate to help keep the cables under control, so I thought I'd do those too.
Attachments
Couldn’t help myself!
Couldn’t help myself!
A6BA8144-0822-42A6-BCF6-A643CC593EAE.jpeg
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

This is just great work as usual from yourself Herman! :thumbup: I don't know anything about this tank but I am amazed at the speed of your build-rate (for want of better words). It takes me ages to do this sort of thing but, regardless, it's fun and usually very informative to follow your builds for sure.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Agree...great work. Been wanting an IS-2 for quite some time and with all the prices of the Taigen versions skyrocketing I bought one from a shop here in TX for much less than eBay or Taigen direct. Should be here in a few days.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Dr Phibes wrote:This is just great work as usual from yourself Herman! :thumbup: I don't know anything about this tank but I am amazed at the speed of your build-rate (for want of better words). It takes me ages to do this sort of thing but, regardless, it's fun and usually very informative to follow your builds for sure.
Thanks Good Doctor!
Having this enforced stay home due to injury has certainly allowed my progress rate to increase. I can sit all day now, where with work, only one Im home later, so I have gone from 2-3 hours a day tops, to 8-10 !!

The JS2 is not as famous as its T34 series cousins, but it should be.
They had years to build a legend, these things only just on 2.
On pure cost alone, these could be made at a rate of 8-1 on a King Tiger :O

Like so many clever Soviet weapons......................We put BIG Gun- solve problem, if problem not solved- fit more gun.
JS-1 with the 85mm is for sissies!!!
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

tankme wrote:Agree...great work. Been wanting an IS-2 for quite some time and with all the prices of the Taigen versions skyrocketing I bought one from a shop here in TX for much less than eBay or Taigen direct. Should be here in a few days.
Knowing your work on the Soviet machines Mr Tankme, it will be a stellar performance.
I am a real fan of Taigen products.
On an honest not though, I think the all metal turret is more of a pain than a selling point. A plastic one is easier to work with, and certainly in my case, makes for much lighter shipping :/
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

During the research on these machines, I discovered that the object I circled in red is actually a comms button and microphone that infantry can use to communicate with the tank commander from outside.
This was originally positioned in between the fuel tanks on one side but moved in the 1944 build series,
A minor tweak to make the combination better in combat.
Also stated was that only 23% of JS2 losses were due to tank or anti tank guns, the rest fell to “Faustniks”
A loose translation of what the visible evidence of a Faust kill on a tank was described as The Devils black kiss
That is a very loose translation but one I’m sure that has an element of sad truth to it.
Attachments
CF8C5FC9-17BC-4DFC-A5C7-5CBA2651FAE4.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"[T]he object I circled in red is actually a comms button and microphone that infantry can use to communicate with the tank commander." I told you that I learn from your build posts! Thank you. Even with the overload of books I have, I still often wonder "what is that thing?"
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

although I am not a great fan of the IS tanks, this is great work!
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:"[T]he object I circled in red is actually a comms button and microphone that infantry can use to communicate with the tank commander." I told you that I learn from your build posts! Thank you. Even with the overload of books I have, I still often wonder "what is that thing?"
Thanks Herr Proff, it bugged me to the point of needing to know rather than just accepting what it is & not caring.
It came close to getting sliced off !!
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”