1/10th Stridsvagn 103C

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Barthez
Recruit

Re: 1/10th Stridsvagn 103C

Post by Barthez »

A pic with all the actuators in place , forgive the dirt in the hull, it will be cleaned and painted when I am done

The motive power was going to be two cordless drill motors with their gearboxes. I had two of the same model but when I opened the drills up I found they had two different motors. The gearboxes seemed to have the same gear ratios albeit with slightly different designs. I was going to replace the motors so at least they were identical. One gearbox could not run without locking up. I abandoned them and found two motors with gearboxes on Aliexpress.
These motors and gearboxes are a little wide for the hull hence the long black tubes. These are right angled drill attachments for power tools with the drill chucks removed. I have machined two shafts that slip over the shaft in place of the chucks.

There will be plenty of space in the hull for batteries and the other gubbins .

Tiger 1
Mowag Piranha 3C
Stridsvagen 103C
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Now that's a creative gearbox! I'll guess the ratio in the drill head is about 3 to 1 what are the reduction units on the motors?

By the way, the pictures are just fine.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Actually like the layout. Very nice. I was thinking of using similar motors for a project.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Barthez
Recruit

Post by Barthez »

Ecam wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:59 pm Now that's a creative gearbox! I'll guess the ratio in the drill head is about 3 to 1 what are the reduction units on the motors?

By the way, the pictures are just fine.
The gear box out put is 1100 rpm @ 12v I have ordered a digital tachometer from eBay so I will see what the output at the drive sprocket will be.
Tiger 1
Mowag Piranha 3C
Stridsvagen 103C
Barthez
Recruit

Post by Barthez »

tankme wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:24 pm Actually like the layout. Very nice. I was thinking of using similar motors for a project.

Thank you,
I thought it might be a clumsy solution but it fits well under the upper hull. I could not find any suitable gear motors at the time . I did consider using metal gearboxes from 1/16th tanks but thought they would not be up to the job.
The upper and lower hull are 11kg at present with wheels and tracks yet to be added.
The pics below show the final drive axles that mount in place of the chuck. I could not use the thread used by the chuck, it’s a square profile. I don’t have any taps of that type. The final drive shafts will be fixed in place with a grub screw, they are a very snug fit . They cannot slide out of the hull. The whole right angled part needs to be removed and the shaft pulled internally.

I machined a mount to take a bearing to support the drive shaft as it exits the hull. This will be hidden behind the drive sprocket. Image

Paul
Tiger 1
Mowag Piranha 3C
Stridsvagen 103C

Return to “Larger Scale Military”