M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anyway...

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: M3 Grant (Lee?) scratchbuilt... or that's the plan anyway...

Post by Kaczor »

We wish you a speedy recovery. The set looks great, I hope it will be on sale someday ;)
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

The double-whammy! That must be brutal having a hacking cough with abdominal pain. My sympathies.
Dang, that M3 is looking righteous! I'll second Kaczor's hopes that this gem will be available as a kit one day.
Mike.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Welcome back, Rob! May the healing force now be with you all the way.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

The dreaded 'rona seems to be slowly dying, so I've been up to some more shenenigans...

...meaning the single piece that was the rear deck and sides of the Grant has turned into multiple pieces, allowing me to do various versions of the engine deck (the pink squarish part in the middle) to allow for different engines and whatnot. Same is going on with the arse-end which will have multiple versions with diffent exhausts and filters.

I've gotten into the habit of searching for Grant and Lee bits on the various 3D-depositories, just in case there's something I can *cough* borrow. I found a reasonable gaming miniature that actually scaled up pretty well to 1/16 scale and decided to print it out just for Schlitz and giggles...

Printed it out in "draft" settings (0.24mm layer height) for speed and to see how it would look. You can rrrreally see the layer lines at the resolution...

Love the X1C and the support settings. They rip out with minimal fuss...

Might as well do the rest of the turret too...

Watching that first layer go down never gets old...

phpBB [video]

Nice...

Again, "Draft" settings. In the end I would probably print these in resin...

and yet it is nothing I think a little sanding and some good primer won't fix...

Sureley looks like a Lee... and a lot less malnourished than Vandra's offering. (No offense...)

TTFN,
Rob
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

They say the best therapy for coronavirus is designing a Grant turret...please, pretty please!
And the Lee turret is spectacular!
Mike.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

ColemanCollector wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:24 pm They say the best therapy for coronavirus is designing a Grant turret...please, pretty please!
And the Lee turret is spectacular!
Mike.
Been there, done that... And thank you!
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Needed a little break from tinkering with the arse-end of the Grant, and someone asked me if the 3-piece transmission cover I designed could be modified to fit on a Sherman.

Bad news is; it can't. The lower StuG gearbox gets in the way.

Good news; I designed one for the Sherman in particular... including templates for cutting the gearbox and the hull.

When I've ran a few test prints, it will go up on Cults.

TTFN,
Rob
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Sometimes the rabbithole runs deep when 3D designing parts. What was supposed to be a quick excursion from the main build turned into a full-on tinkering bonanza, resulting in two types of 3-piece differential covers for the Sherman, complete with cutting templates for the Heng Long hull and gearboxes. Working on a manual for easy installation, all the parts optimized for ease of printing and minimal supports.

And while the last test print is running, I am wondering if I could do a version for a resin printer that could include casting marks...

TTFN,
Rob
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

This is absolutely amazing! Please let us know when this is available.

Since a 3D printer is on my horizon, what would be a good novice model that is capable of this type of work? Many thanks and no rush, just when you have a moment after emerging from the rabbithole!

Mike.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

ColemanCollector wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:44 pm This is absolutely amazing! Please let us know when this is available.

Since a 3D printer is on my horizon, what would be a good novice model that is capable of this type of work? Many thanks and no rush, just when you have a moment after emerging from the rabbithole!

Mike.
Pffff... a novice model? Ya know, I've been kinda spoiled, having spent my bonus on a Bambu Lab X1C. Not a cheap printer at $1,549.00 CAD, but it is quite awesome. Any printer should print these files pretty easily tho. No weird amount of supports or insane settings. You could go from 0.2mm layers to crazy and 0.08mm layers (on a filament printer) and they would still come out pretty decent at the 0.2mm.

My recommendations? On a budget, go for something like a Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro or one of the Creality offerings if you print in PLA. If you have got the cash, go for a Bambu Lab X1C (or alternately a P1S which is slightly cheaper). An enclosed printer is a must when you print ABS or ASA, and I've found the X1C to work without a flaw since I've got it. I have an opinion about the Creality K1 and K1 Max, but I will spare you the rant...
If you want to print in resin (kinda nice for some of the more detailed parts) you can't go wrong with something like a Anycubic Photon Mono 2.
TTFN,
Rob
Disclaimer; the advice about 3D printers is based on my personal experience and budget. Please treat it as such...

Return to “Heng Long Builds”