Michael Wittmann Tiger Ace

This section is for talk about real historic events, battles or anything like it.
Mithras
Corporal

Re: Michael Wittmann Tiger Ace

Post by Mithras »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:28 am I think we all accept that regardless of the good side or bad side, good and bad deeds were done which were and are today reprehensible.
We all that live in the calmness of life gifted to us by those gone and lost before must temper our outrage by knowing that when being melted in the crucible of rage and combat a person will do anything to survive, and anything to ensure the safety of their comrades in arms, or country men, without thought of judgement by those that were not there , and cannot in any good conscience judge those that were by some utopian belief that evil is unacceptable, when these same people in general, are often the very ones that place people in harms way to conduct evil for their own failings in diplomacy and tolerant understanding.

I have visited the huge graves of all combatants in areas of Europe, Italy and here in Australia where POW's were killed and suffered at the hands of their captors , with the solemn honour to be in the presence of those that have fought the fight they did not choose, against those that they did not know , in places they wouldnt have heard of or been to if not for those that controlled them, only to never leave....................

I hold ALL members of any armed forces that wear their nations uniform with pride or even reluctance and carry out the wishes of those in charge with the highest esteem and wonder if I could measure up if put in the same position.
I never consider the reasons or ideologies they fought & died for , only the sense of loss any what might have been had things been different, and the waste.
Well said.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “Historic Events / Days to remember”