Hi

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
tweeky8687
Recruit

Re: Hi

Post by tweeky8687 »

Jarndice
The two chipmunks in Berlin had different serial number when i was in Berlin the were WZ862 and WD289 both were replaced in 86/87 for a different radio fit. I've two of the new Airfix Chippys and the Markings for WZ862. Flew in both during my 14 months behind the Iron curtain. This was a bit of a shock after my Lightning T5 trip prior to leaving No5 Sqn at RAF Binbrook.
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

tweeky8687 wrote:I've only I've only mentioned a few here but ive got both HK 1:32 Lancaster's the early HK B17, the Tamiya 1:32 Mosquito. The Airfix 1:24 mosquito Three 1:32 Tamiya Spits P51 and F4 Birdcage. 1:24 Hellcat and both Typhoons...........should List the 100-150 1:72/11:48 kits to to my "Stashette".
Yeah, now we're talking. I had a similar stash up until a few weeks ago... and then I found RC tanks... Flogged the majority of the stash to finance my new habit ;D

Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

tweeky8687 wrote:Jarndice
The two chipmunks in Berlin had different serial number when i was in Berlin the were WZ862 and WD289 both were replaced in 86/87 for a different radio fit. I've two of the new Airfix Chippys and the Markings for WZ862. Flew in both during my 14 months behind the Iron curtain. This was a bit of a shock after my Lightning T5 trip prior to leaving No5 Sqn at RAF Binbrook.
Well we are talking 1966 and my memory of that time is partially clouded by having to climb the internal vertical ladder to the roof of the hanger while carrying a 27 ft telescopic aerial mast and all the fixtures plus a tool kit,
While erecting the aerial I discovered a wasps nest,
There really is nowhere to go on the roof of an aircraft hanger when you are being chased by angry wasps,
I did later wonder what the border guards thought was going on as they watched a British soldier running aimlessly around on the roof of the hanger :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hello again, Tweeky. Being an aged "'Murrican" I am enjoying baffleosity at Britishisms such as "Lightning," "Chipmunk," and the like. These, I take it, are aircraft (and not the twin-boom Lightning with which I am familiar). I think your stash is respectable, and even I just sold over 50 aircraft in 1/48 and AFVs in 1/32 to have half a chance at 1) seeing parts and pieces in 1/16 scale and 2) surviving long enough to complete some/most/hey maybe even all of them. A hearty Welcome to the nuthouse, Chipmunks. (My sweet little Schnauzer welcomes you with open teeth. >:< )
TankyTankyCharl
Private

Post by TankyTankyCharl »

Welcome :wave:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

English Electric Lightning, In its day the fastest climbing interceptor in the World, The Pilot sat on top of two stacked reheated Rolls Royce Avons,
I once heard it described as the worlds fastest flying filing cabinet,
De-Havilland Canada Chipmunk, The first original Aircraft wholly designed and built in Canada by De-Havilland hence DHC1, Initially an Ab Initio Trainer but a very useful communications aircraft and a lot of fun to fly.
The RAF and the British Army Air Corps were just two of many nations airforces who were users of it whereas the EE Lightning was sold to the UK, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Greetings T8687,

Very nice to have you on board! I once had a similar experience with wasps on the top of a 175 foot water tower! I was replacing the photocell for the aviation light. It was one of those towers shaped like a giant mushroom. Only about 5 feet of a flat circular area and then things sloped away very quickly on all sides. Being locked into a climbing harness, only thing to do was slam the hatch shut, climb all the way down, all the way back up, and unload with some bee spray. Only got nailed a few times...but I digress.

Nice tank to get the ball rolling with! Enjoy yourself here! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Hi and welcome. You now have two choices. Spend money on tanks, or the Caterham. I have old Citroens which means I might as well stand and throw money down the road. Sounds like you have some interesting models. I also have a Sand Scorcher better to build than drive.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"There really is nowhere to go on the roof of an aircraft hanger when you are being chased by angry wasps." and "Only about 5 feet of a flat circular area and then things sloped away very quickly." Yep, thirty years ago, building my house, I climbed the boom of the crane to take photos of the beams going up. I passed a wasps' next unscathed, even unnoticed. But the timber framer noticed and decided to spray the nest behind (i.e. below) me. Hang on and ride out the storm! :O But I digress...

''[W]orlds fastest flying filing cabinet": since I miraculously have internet today (and yesterday! a record!) I have to check out these aircraft. But I digress...

Aw, hey, I'm a retired refesser: digression a professional skill.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Welcome Tweeky. Working at Lotus must have been interesting, given ACBC's ties with DeLorean towards the end.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but yourself and Jarndice might like these photos taken by my father of an RAF visit to Richmond RAAF Base in the Sixties. He was an electronics tech (Neptunes and Orions).

Return to “Introduce Yourself”