Rc motorcycles and sidecars.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Rc motorcycles and sidecars.

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Afternoon all,

These are a couple of projects that I've been working on as of late, they were all static models but with a bit of jiggery pokery they have been converted to rc. Below are a couple of pics of the work carried out so far. There are two BMW R75 models, the desert version will have a tarp cover over the sidecar as shown in the pictures but with the grey one I have managed to hide all the electronics within the front and rear of the sidecar allowing for the passenger to keep his seat :D
The last one is an electra glide Harley which I'm going to do some work on to convert into a 1942 model as best I can, I've also added a couple of pics of a ww2 US Harley and sidecar combo which I will be basing mine on :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.

phpBB [video]

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Rc motorcycles and sidecars.

Post by jarndice »

I had it confirmed that I was born too soon when I discovered that the British Army had introduced Harleys as dispatch bikes,
When I joined the bike of choice and the one upon which I passed my test was the BSA M20 :( ,
Lovely workmanship Lee I view with envy,
I needed (I thought) an MPs bike to go with Wills brilliant Kubel (Thank you for a brilliant model I still play with it) so I butchered a modern GS style bike that was part of a very cheap 1/16 multi poseable soldier now MP and accessories pack,
Revised the silencer and front mudguard and made up a pair of panniers, no room for r/c but ok in a diorama.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Lee.
It is so nice to see something unusual and very different from the usual stuff, and executed so well, the video is fantastic.
Is the last 2 pics a Harley Davidson WLA by any chance....if so I am just watching the motorcycle show on TV where Henry Cole and Sam Lovegrove are restoring one they bought from a shed find.
Excellent modelling.
Regards.
Sub.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you jarndice :D yes unfortunately there is not a lot of options for military motorcycles In 1/16 scale. I had a couple of 1/18 bikes a while ago but they looked way under scale when placed next to the tanks :thumbdown: these are roughly 1/15 scale so look much more in keeping with my other models :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Hi sub, thanks for looking in,
The last pics are what I'm trying to base mine on, it is indeed an Harley Davidson WLA.
The BMW'S didn't require a lot of modifications as they were basically what was used in ww2 so it was just a case of adapting them for the steering and motor etc where as the Harley is an electra glide model so it needs quite a bit of work to get it looking somewhere near, It's not going to be 100% perfect but it's the closest I could find to work with, luckily I bought it cheap so I don't mind cutting it up. I've started to take it all apart today and modify little bits and pieces including cutting the front off of the sidecar to replace it with the pointy style nose like the one in the pics, I'll update when I'm further ahead with the build Image

Cheers,Lee.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Great stuff, dont know if you have seen these ?
https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/ital ... model-kit/
Sub.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Or this...
https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/ital ... model-kit/
Temptations...
A bit pricey, but the Zunndapp at 1:9 scale would look good.
Regards
Sub.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Hi sub,

I did contemplate rc'ing one of these zunndaps that is shown in the link below. It is 1/10 scale though so I decided against it and stick as close as I can to my 1/16 scale :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schuco-1-10- ... 634-2357-0
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

What great fun! From the video, it looks as if that bike runs remarkably smoothly. I have to show your photos to a much-published, award winning modeler I know who bought a BMW when he quit flying jet helicopters at age 66. He has a collection of model Bimmers, and he appreciates others' great work.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Glad you like them professor :D I hope your friend gets a kick out of them also :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.

Return to “Other Builds”