Hello, I'm new to RC tanks and lovin it!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Hello, I'm new to RC tanks and lovin it!

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Tiger6 wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Same here, or a GT40 :thumbup:

I only asked because 427 was quite the common engine size back in the day. Not sure whether it still is ???
Fuel economy pretty much killed the old big block motors by the mid 2000's - I remember GM working on the final Big Block Chevy when I got out there to Pontiac in 2005, but I can't remember if it ever hit the market or not. Between the manufacturers getting hit with the CAFE stick, and the consumer seeing gas prices rise past $2.50/gallon, there wasn't much appetite for a big gasoline motor that did single digit fuel economy numbers when you actually wanted to do some work, vs a Diesel that gets high teens kind of numbers in the same situation.
No, they weren't very good on fuel.
Funny, over half my life ago, I was chasing a 427 and a rolling chassis to go with it for a GT40 kit car, but I ended up looking into slightly smaller engines for it. I told my missus what I was up to, and she said, "Oh, it's probably time I told you!" "Tell me what?" I enquired, "I'm pregnant!" she said. And that was the end of my two seater dream.
Estate car and mortgage ended that, along with a second daughter 15 months later.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

The Far-Eastern manufacturers starting the horsepower race in the early 2000's didn't help either - if you had a small block V8 pushing out say 200 to 250 hp, the big block had filled in above that power band for muscle cars as well as being the staple for 3/4ton and bigger pickup trucks. Once those big pickup trucks went over to V8 diesel, and the V8 gasoline small blocks were forced to modernise to keep up via friction reduction measures and better fuel injection equipment, and stretch their power up past 300hp to compete, most of the volume for the big blocks simply vanished.
Tucker427
Private

Post by Tucker427 »

From big blocks to 380 can motors, where did I go wrong :haha:

Here are a couple of 1/24 tanks that will also keep me busy:
20210716_123852.jpg
1/16 steel gearboxes fitted in the Vstank. Had to use 370 motors to make it fit.
20210716_124753.jpg
My custom King Tiger build: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31936
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"1/16 steel gearboxes fitted in the Vstank. Had to use 370 motors to make it fit." I would never have thought the gearboxes would fit: as The Band sang, "it's a mighty tight squeeeeeze!" Now that 1/24 Tiger has to be one tough dude! Check out the others here on RCTW who work wonders on VS and other 1/24 AFVS. I know a "Modler" does some nifty stuff.
Tucker427
Private

Post by Tucker427 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:"1/16 steel gearboxes fitted in the Vstank. Had to use 370 motors to make it fit." I would never have thought the gearboxes would fit: as The Band sang, "it's a mighty tight squeeeeeze!" Now that 1/24 Tiger has to be one tough dude! Check out the others here on RCTW who work wonders on VS and other 1/24 AFVS. I know a "Modler" does some nifty stuff.
The Vstanks are blessed with sturdy plastic hulls, even more so than the 1/16 tanks, so yes, they make tough little dudes! Thanks, will be sure to check them out when I'm finished with the King Tiger.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello T427,

Seems many of us have similar interests besides RC tanks! :thumbup: Nice work on that KT hull! You'll fit in very well here!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

Hi Tucker...

Newbie myself to tanking also...

Is the Tucker handle also car related?

know the kit car dream... I did succeed building an AC 427 sc but only with a 3.9L souped up V8... I couldn’t stretch to the 351 Windsor I really wanted to drop in... it was great fun but too easy to get into trouble with 8)
Tucker427
Private

Post by Tucker427 »

Andy427sc wrote:Hi Tucker...

Newbie myself to tanking also...

Is the Tucker handle also car related?

know the kit car dream... I did succeed building an AC 427 sc but only with a 3.9L souped up V8... I couldn’t stretch to the 351 Windsor I really wanted to drop in... it was great fun but too easy to get into trouble with 8)
Sure is. Some say that 427 is the number of the beast

By the time I can offord myself such a motor, combustion engines will be outlawed. However, we could always use a Benedeni sound module to produce realistic engine sounds for our electric Cobras :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Tucker427 wrote:By the time I can offord myself such a motor, combustion engines will be outlawed. However, we could always use a Benedeni sound module to produce realistic engine sounds for our electric Cobras :haha:
Well, I'm ready to do a deal with this guy if I ever purchase an electric bike :thumbup:

phpBB [video]
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Tucker427
Private

Post by Tucker427 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Well, I'm ready to do a deal with this guy if I ever purchase an electric bike :thumbup:
Hehe, I wonder how much trumpet guy charges per hour. It's tough out there for musicians I guess with the lockdown, etc :D
Last edited by Tucker427 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”