New mancave first project - Flower Class corvette 3d print

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
Biasphere1
Lance Corporal

Re: New mancave first project - Flower Class corvette 3d pri

Post by Biasphere1 »

Xiaoshan_Sailor wrote:I've known Ben many years & he does excellent work. Have been lobbying to come up with something out of the ordinary like the old USN four stacker destroyers that served from WWI into the WW2 with several notable encounters, ie, USS Ward which fired the first shot at Pearl Harbor to HMS Campbeltown of the Saint Nazaire Raid. In addition to his 3DP work, he's a fan of scale sail & owns a lovely Bluenose schooner that he built.

By the way, to show how small this world truly is, Ben's wife is the daughter of the former mayor of Hangzhou where I reside. His father-in-law was mayor the years leading up to 1937 when the Japanese arrived & made a royal mess of things. Ben's father served with distinction in the Pacific with the US Army 41st Division driving the Japanese out of New Guinea in 1944.

Well I'll be a monkeys, unreal.
Cheers.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Some progress

Moving along nicely, I hope to visit my friend George next week and get him to help me fit the propshaft, prop, motor, and rudder as I am a novice at boats and don't want to screw things up at this stage.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Biasphere1
Lance Corporal

Post by Biasphere1 »

Good stuff Alwyn cheers.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Mr Turner your man cave is impressive, but like all of your other works the model is more impressive.

I think I am going to have to find some of these websites you use.

Rather saddened that I missed out on your Matilda but there we go, such is the way of life
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The Matilda is not forgotten and is waiting to be unpacked and restarted - there is still hope! :thumbup: :wave:
Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I've just finished printing and assembling the 2 pdr gun and what a little design gem it is
It even has a little bolt and nut to enable it to turn, all done in 3d cad and printed!
I am constantly amazed at the design that has gone into this model, it is such a pleasure to work on

Of course this isn't modelling, just printing and assembling, but it is nice for a change to do something undemanding that produces such an excellent result and all kudos to the designer who must have put hundreds of hours into creating this.

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Great to see you back in action Alwyn, and what a hell of a way to do it!
Biasphere1
Lance Corporal

Post by Biasphere1 »

Brilliant effort Alwynn , it might be just a big jig saw puzzle that you make the parts fit but the results are quite astounding and go together really well .
Your print quality looks really good too man and that's ticket to success .
Cheers.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

AlwynTurner wrote:Some progress

Moving along nicely, I hope to visit my friend George next week and get him to help me fit the propshaft, prop, motor, and rudder as I am a novice at boats and don't want to screw things up at this stage.

THE George?! Hopefully he's put the motors in the cmb!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

A very enjoyable visit to George who helped me install the rudder, prop shaft, and motor. He also very generously contributed a replacement motor and esc as the ones I had bought were too powerful a motor and an esc that was totally unsuitable and crashed and burned (almost literally) the forst time we tried it in the flotation tank.

Anyway here are a few pics of the upgraded corvette
The electronic stuff
prop and rudder
and it's amazing what a coat of primer on the hull does to smarten it up.
Some progress on the front end
and the back - depth charge racks complete

I now need to mark up the waterline and ballast the hull so it sits properly and to do that I need to make a temporary tank (no bath in our new bathroom :/ ).

Return to “Warships”