Loads Of Questions From A Newbie

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Re: Loads Of Questions From A Newbie

Post by MikeHamilton »

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I’ve had a look at the Mr Metal primer and it looks ok.
Would a “normal” etch primer for cars work do you know?
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

MikeHamilton wrote:Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I’ve had a look at the Mr Metal primer and it looks ok.
Yes, but My experience with both Automotive and Airframe Etching Primers is that they are usually pre-coloured whereas Mr Metal Primer is clear which is a good thing when working in small scale as the pre-coloured etching primer has a good chance of bleeding through.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

jarndice wrote:
MikeHamilton wrote:Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. I’ve had a look at the Mr Metal primer and it looks ok.
Yes, but My experience with both Automotive and Airframe Etching Primers is that they are usually pre-coloured whereas Mr Metal Primer is clear which is a good thing when working in small scale as the pre-coloured etching primer has a good chance of bleeding through.
I'll get myself a bottle then. Is it just for metal or can it be used on plastic as well? You can tell I'm a newbie at this can't you? :-)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It is purely for the purpose of etching metal but it will do no harm to plastic surfaces,
But your abundance of Red Oxide as long as it is decently thinned (Is it a cellulose paint or an acrylic paint? for that will determine which thinners to use) will be more than enough as a primer without any help from "Mr Metal Primer-R".
I usually Etch Prime the metal on my Models as and when it is ready (Hinges Grilles Hatches MG and Main Gun Barrels etc) thereby when the Tank or Truck is ready for the red oxide primer the metal parts are already in position and the etch primer is dry.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

jarndice wrote:It is purely for the purpose of etching metal but it will do no harm to plastic surfaces,
But your abundance of Red Oxide as long as it is decently thinned (Is it a cellulose paint or an acrylic paint? for that will determine which thinners to use) will be more than enough as a primer without any help from "Mr Metal Primer-R".
I usually Etch Prime the metal on my Models as and when it is ready (Hinges Grilles Hatches MG and Main Gun Barrels etc) thereby when the Tank or Truck is ready for the red oxide primer the metal parts are already in position and the etch primer is dry.
Brilliant. Thank you.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Well I am now a very proud and pleased owner of an unpainted Torro King Tiger.

Dave at Forgebear phoned me yesterday that it was in and he’d checked it over.
I went over to his place, between Bedford and Milton Keynes and met both him and Julie.
Dave gave me a run though of the model and a few “Do’s and Dont’s”.

The model is currently being charged up. How long that’ll take what with it being a 2200mah battery is anyone’s guess?

Whilst it’s been charging I phoned Component Shop and ordered a 4400mah battery and a quick charger, so that’ll tide me over for the time being.

I can’t wait to have a play and then crack on with strengthening the hull and deck etc. and decide upon a camo scheme.
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

was nice to see you i hope your tank is all you want it to be
happy tanking
dave :wave:
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

forgebear wrote:was nice to see you i hope your tank is all you want it to be
happy tanking
dave :wave:
It was really good to meet Julie and yourself this morning. The Beastie is still on charge, so I’ve not had chance to play with it yet, but I expect the tank will live up to expectations.
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

any problems let us know and please shop with us again
dave and julie
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thank you Dave I shall do. Much appreciated etc.

Return to “General Questions”