EBay and Paypal

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: EBay and Paypal

Post by jhamm »

Much hot air about nothing ...
Summarized:
- ebay is good for buyers
- Paypal is a safe bet for buyers
- ebay imposes rules on the sellers and wants to control them
- the ebay platform is worthless without a buyer
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

tankme wrote:I just bought a Trumpeter 1/16 T-72B1 with reactive armor that had a crushed box from Ebay. Seller said there was no damage to the model so if that is the case I saved $30 from the best price I could find online. Ebay has a lot more merit as a buyer than a seller these days.
I bought a Tamiya Grand Hauler a couple of years ago with box damage and saved about £30. When it arrived a spike had gone through the box and demolished the cab! I used a good seller and he sent me another but l hope you used Paypal, just in case.

The annoying thing is, if EBay want to facilitate a world street market, a thing they do very well, why do they feel the need to control how payments are made? If they get their seller fee, isn't that enough?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

They want to control the sellers or make them transparent in order to achieve even more profit...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I noticed this "headline" yesterday when I opened Google.
I didn't bother to read the article as there's too much misinformation out there on this subject, and it's making it even more confusing as to what is going on.

I've read that PayPal can still be used up till 2023 or was it 2024, and I've also read we won't be able to use PayPal after this month.
I know this was in the pipeline for a few years, but some news outlets are acting like this is a sudden surprise.

Anyway, here's the screen shot. I doubt their actions will make any difference.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210604-113749.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

By Jove I think I've got it.

Before the changes, sellers paid eBay something like 10% and PayPal a further 2.9% plus another 30p in fees.

Now, sellers just pay eBay a flat rate of 12.8% fees.

Buyers can still purchase with PayPal, but the PayPal payment goes directly to eBay, and eBay transfers the money to the sellers bank accounts, so there's no direct contact with PayPal with sellers.
This means sellers are now at the mercy of eBay and when they decide to release the delayed payments, instead of sellers receiving payments almost instantly from PayPal. I can't see anything going wrong with this new money releasing system lol.
I guess with eBay charging the extra 2.8%, this is to cover the normal PayPal charges. Therefore, the total charges are a tiny bit cheaper, a whole 0.1% cheaper yippee lol. Although, as a non seller, I've no idea about that extra 30p charge from PayPal.

As for the tax charges eBay adds on, that's totally separate and depends on the buyers and sellers locations.
Boy, that's some huge undertaking eBay is taking on. I guess for the tax additions and calculations to be monitored properly, eBay had to control all the financial side of things.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Snowwolflair
Private

Post by Snowwolflair »

eBay turnover is sales of 0.5Billion every two days. This is money they can put on the overnight spot market and earn interest free on our money. This is about $6M interest a day they gain.

Who says accountants don't run the world.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Snowwolflair wrote:Who says accountants don't run the world.
I thought it was Bankers that run the world ;)

Snowwolflair
Private

Post by Snowwolflair »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Snowwolflair wrote:Who says accountants don't run the world.
I thought it was Bankers that run the world ;)
Your average banker is not very bright when it comes to fleecing the public. To do that properly you need accountants B|
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

No, it's IT business analysts that run the world now. Bankers and accountants just reap the benefits >:<
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Well, when I said bankers, I meant it in the rhyming slang way ;) :D

Return to “General Discussion”