New, ofcourse, from Russia/Netherlands

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Re: New, ofcourse, from Russia/Netherlands

Post by jee »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I just looked up various sites about Barnaul, including the typical annual weather. In the US, the joke was often about being sent in exile to Siberia. Oh-oh! Barnaul winter weather is much like Wisconsin—but Barnaul is more moderate and less humid during the summer. I’m the one exiled to Whitewater, Siberia!
Whitewater looks like a nice place.
Luckily the humidity is in winter also lower than I was used too, it makes a great difference.

My wife wrote once a blogpost about the image that Siberia has, https://www.kaichitravel.com/siberia-mi ... ons-myths/ :D

If you want to know more great places to visit: https://www.kaichitravel.com/places-in- ... re-travel/ (we work in Altai)
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Alas, Whitewater has the university, but too many of the townspeople often struggle economically. I actually live in a timber-framed, 12-sided, woodland home on the southern tip of what is called the Wisconsin Kettle Moraine State Forest in Wisconsin.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

A belated welcome Jaap,

Glad you found the Forum! This is the best one on the Net! So many great member's and so much talent! :thumbup:

If you can convince the Wife; a little "quiet space" for yourself and the tanks, and\or other hobbies will make you and her much, much happier in the long run! My Wife learned that on our 11th year together! We're now going on our 31st year together, the longest...um I mean happiest years of my life! :/ :lolno: But forgive me, I digress.

Glad to have you aboard! Good luck on the new house!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Alas, Whitewater has the university, but too many of the townspeople often struggle economically. I actually live in a timber-framed, 12-sided, woodland home on the southern tip of what is called the Wisconsin Kettle Moraine State Forest in Wisconsin.
wow, what an awesome area, that looks great. Too bad economy is struggling but I guess that is almost globally at the moment.
Regards,
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

EAO wrote:A belated welcome Jaap,

Glad you found the Forum! This is the best one on the Net! So many great member's and so much talent! :thumbup:

If you can convince the Wife; a little "quiet space" for yourself and the tanks, and\or other hobbies will make you and her much, much happier in the long run! My Wife learned that on our 11th year together! We're now going on our 31st year together, the longest...um I mean happiest years of my life! :/ :lolno: But forgive me, I digress.

Glad to have you aboard! Good luck on the new house!

Cheers,
Eric.
Thanks Eric,

Well to be honest I will bring the level down a bit as it is many years ago since I built a kit :D
So I will start with my kit UAZ Bukhanka from the Russian Post office. :D

I know a nice (not necessarily big) space where you can built and leave everything as is, would be great but we will see how that goes.

Regards,
Jaap
Attachments
uaz post.jpg
uaz post.jpg (95.83 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
Regards,
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

But the best news, I convinced my wife that I should buy a tank right now :D
So I ordered (well actually she did) a nice new Heng long Panzer IV with metal gear and tracks for the price of 61 euro's.
Couldnt let it go for this price actually.

Only thing is we had some discussion that she didnt want to have a fascist tank :/
so I promised her I would buy a T34 when we finished the house, her grandpa fought in one of them as far as I understood.
Regards,
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Somehow, you came out ahead by one T-34 in that discussion of former fascist tanks. Smooth move! 8)

I would greatly enjoy seeing pictures of your post office van as you work on it. In fact, I see that it is 1/43 scale, the scale of most of the little cars and trucks on my Golden Prairie Railroad. You are welcome to ask any questions, for there are model-builders galore on RCTW, including no few, I suspect, who have built lots of model cars and trucks.

Above all, have fun, fun, fun!

Well, well: look what I found online: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zvezda- ... --1184975#. Would I enjoy building one? Yes! But I am actually selling off models just now, as I have more than could be built in my remaining years--and I plan to have quite a few remaining years! :D
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Welcome Jee,
Not in your league of building a house, but we are modernising an old US military house near Holy Loch, Argyle and Bute, Scotland, where the US submarines were in the Cold War.
One tank is never enough, along with model railways , and rusty old Citroen cars. You will definitely end up buying more.
I have just gained permission from the domestic authorities to convert the loft to my own Play room.
Regard Ian
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello again Jaap,

Sorry for the delay, life intervened again! :/ You Wife sounds like a keeper! Very crafty way to wriggle another tank into the equation too! :thumbup: :clap:

Best regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Somehow, you came out ahead by one T-34 in that discussion of former fascist tanks. Smooth move! 8)

I would greatly enjoy seeing pictures of your post office van as you work on it. In fact, I see that it is 1/43 scale, the scale of most of the little cars and trucks on my Golden Prairie Railroad. You are welcome to ask any questions, for there are model-builders galore on RCTW, including no few, I suspect, who have built lots of model cars and trucks.

Above all, have fun, fun, fun!

Well, well: look what I found online: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/zvezda- ... --1184975#. Would I enjoy building one? Yes! But I am actually selling off models just now, as I have more than could be built in my remaining years--and I plan to have quite a few remaining years! :D

thanks for your offer, I realise it has been 40 year since I built such a kit :O
but I guess I will manage as it will not be a scale model, just built it for the fun (and because I drive a Bukhanka myself)

I really found a lot of info on internet, youtube has a lot of instructoinvideo's about how to paint and weather the models, pff wish I had that 40 years ago :D

You can never have too much models of course :D
Regards,

Return to “Introduce Yourself”