Heng Long TK 7.1 - A LOT OF NEW FEATURES

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Timbo68
Private

Re: Heng Long TK 7.1 - A LOT OF NEW FEATURES

Post by Timbo68 »

From what I’ve discovered, I think that my controller, which came with a 7.0 Stug I was upgrading, is an oddity. I asked Dave (I buy items from him - excellent service always) as you said he supplied one for you, and he assures me there is only one version. I wouldn’t buy without confirmation, but I’ve managed to source a 7 controller with slider from Germany (Dave doesn’t have them listed at the mo), and I’m assured that all the stock have sliders. Looking forward to seeing what else it does!
Thanks for the info…
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

So, I just took out both my v7.0 marked transmitters I have here. The one that came with my Bulldog...NONE of the trims work. The one that came with my M1128 Stryker MGS...the right stick lower trim works, but none of the others. I would guess that the one for the MGS is because it's a wheeled vehicle and needs to be able to trim the steering servo. I opened up the non working trim radio and there is no way that trim would ever work as it's just a plastic insert with nothing behind it. I haven't opened the other one as the 7.0 sticker is in front of one of the screw holes and I haven't verified it works yet. If it doesn't I need to be able to send it back.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

hi guys i have new stock of 7.1s and yes it has the right side slider trim on it also the way to tell the sounds on the boards are from the 2.4 Ariel on the board the one with red is tiger and t90 the black is leo
dave
thumbnail.png
thumbnail.png (753.12 KiB) Viewed 30770 times
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

I wonder what has been going on with HL and the V7, and the information they have made available. The instruction sheets I have clearly show the slider on the controller, and CN2 is on there even though neither of my 7.1 units have a socket under the hole in the casing. I’d be interested to know if anyone out there has an expanded explanation of the functions shown as ‘7.1 only’ in the instruction sheet. I have one each of the black and red aerial units. Again, I’m wondering why HL has not publicised this info - unless I’ve missed it. They seem to have up until now left it as a lottery as to which sound set you get. As a footnote, I have the red aerial unit in a T-72. I read somewhere that the T-90 has a gas turbine, but it definitely sounds like a diesel when running, but with a turbine whistle when throttled down. A bit of both, perhaps…
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When you consider the speed that a Turbocharger (A series of blades on a central shaft) runs at you absolutely should not be surprised at the whistle it emits.
Compare that with the similar speeds of a Turbine engine (A series of blades on a central shaft) it makes confusing the sound of one with the other quite understandable.
Further confusion comes from the additional sounds from the multi cylinder diesel engine to which the turbocharger is attached,
BUT on the over-run the Diesel engines sound is overwhelmed by the turbochargers whistle.
So Heng Long may well have it right. (You don't see that in print very often.)
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

That make sense - I checked, and I was mistaken - apparently it’s the T-80 which has/had a gas turbine. Anyway, it does produce a good effect, and I think that the sounds are better than the Version 6. Just a shame that they couldn't get all four in one box, or allow users to add their own sound files. Version 8 series?
ArchieNov
Recruit

Post by ArchieNov »

Timbo68 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:12 pm A few comments on the 7.1, now fitted...

The turning circle/self rotate adjustments don't seen to make any noticeable difference. (Items 21,22,23 in the instructions), and neither does the turret rotate speed nor braking strength adjustment. (Items 13,18).
No idea what the 'Auto loading shells switch' does. (Item 24)
The sound is good (I have the red aerial Tiger/T-90 (?) version).
The exhaust smoker motor output, if using an aquarium-style pump and separate heater, is 'pulsed', which is fun. If selected on shutdown, it produces a cloud of smoke on startup.
I haven't tried features such as the gyroscope function (Item 9), nor 'Independent control' (Item 25).
As mentioned in another thread, there's no socket under the casing opening for CN2 (fan), so I've wired a dual pole/single throw on-off switch, as I like cooling fans.
And there's definitely no slider under control stick 2, unless the 7.0 and 7.1 have different hand controllers.
I'm still using the jumper on CN6 for the smoke/flash trigger with the little add-on barrel smoke board.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences...
I believe I was the first one to report the slider's existence on the 7.1 controller. Mine was 7.1 and it had it, so I just assumed that the 7.0 would also. I didn't realize that the 7.0 and 7.1 were different controllers.

The turret rotate speed does work. There are 10 increments so you need to keep increasing/lowering several times to notice a difference. At the middle setting, you hear 2 beeps. When you reach either the slowest or fastest setting, you hear a long beep. But to be honest, there's only maybe a 1.5-2 sec difference between a full 360 turret rotation at the fastest and slowest setting.

The braking strength also works. My tank is a full metal Leo so it's pretty heavy. At the "no brake" setting, I can definitely see that the wheels just slow down naturally once the throttle is off. But on the medium and strong brake settings. I can see that the sprocket visibly stops for a split second to brake and then lets itself slow down naturally afterwards. Since my tank is so heavy and has a lot of inertia, it's better for me to have the brakes at either medium or strong.

The auto-loading shells switch (when activated) makes the barrel go up (or down) after the cannon is fired.

My 7.1 board has a socket for the CN2 fan channel. I'm currently using it to power the fan that's connected to my board.

I don't see why you still want to use the jumper for the cannon firing. The 7.1 board has a built in function that lets you forego the use of it. I believe you can activate/deactivate it by pressing the G+B button. Hence, I no longer need to use the jumper on mine (I did use it on my old 6.1S board though)
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Interesting. I should have my ‘slider’ controller shortly, so I’ll test it with all the functions and report back on any differences from my ‘non-slider’. It seems that there are/were two or more versions (with or without controller slider or MFU CN2 socket) out there, but with no info from HL. Whether the sticker on the back says 7.0 (mine) or 7.1 will tell me a lot.

I’ve noted that there’s no need for the jumper I’ve used on my 6.1s MFUs, but I wanted to avoid changing too much at once, and I’ll be playing without it when I’ve had a good look at the new controller.
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

I now have a controller with slider! No version sticker on the back though... It's clear that there are two versions out there, as well 7.1 MFU's with and without a CN2 socket. I'm using a direct connection to the battery with a dual-pole switch so the fans come on when I switch the MFU on.
Turret rotating speed works (I think...).
Braking does nothing. The MFU is in a T-72 with all metal running gear, so it's heavy.
'Auto-loading' just makes a funny squawk before and after firing, but the barrel doesn't move. I'm not using a servo for barrel raising (just for barrel recoil ) Maybe that has something to do with it.
Not convinced about the turning circle/self-rotate/super self rotate things either.
I'd like to find out what CN13,CN14, CH3 and CH4 on the MFU are. I'm using a dual-current motor set-up, but don't see the relevance. I'd be happy if someone cleverer/better informed than me could provide some info!
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

The auto loading is working fine for me (I'm using a servo for elevation), but unfortunatly I havent found a way to fine tune it right now. I mean, my servo is not in the middle of its course when the gun in straight (auto loading position in real life), and it seems that the MFU want to get the servo in the middle of its course for the auto loading, this means for me, after I have fired, the gun goes up and get back to its original position instead of going straight (parallel to the ground).

Return to “Heng Long”