Heng Long TK 7.1 - A LOT OF NEW FEATURES

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
ArchieNov
Recruit

Re: Heng Long TK 7.1 - A LOT OF NEW FEATURES

Post by ArchieNov »

MonsieurTox wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:16 pm
ArchieNov wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:31 pm
MonsieurTox wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:21 pm

Well actually I cant get it works, it changes the direction of the recoil but not the reload. I tried also K2, not sure what it is supposed to do but it seems to do nothing. :(
K2 changes the range of motion for the barrel elevation. One setting has a greater range than the other. For example, in my Leo the default range only goes down to parallel at the lowest angle. But at the greater range setting, it can go even lower than that.

As for the K1 button, since it is used to change both the barrel recoil direction and reload direction, you have to press it multiple times to get it to cycle to the right combination. At least that is what I have observed when I used it myself. For example, pressing it will cycle it through the following combinations (not necessarily in the order I show below):
1st press - Recoil forward, Reload up
2nd press - Recoil backward, Reload up
3rd press - Recoil forward, Reload down
4th press - Recoil backward, Reload down
5th press and beyond should just cycle through the combinations again.
Thank you, I havent seen any difference in range with K2 !
Regarding K1, it seems I only have 2 cycles, I'll try again tomorrow but I pressed K1 ten times or so and the reload was always up, only the recoil was changing.
Thanks again for your help !
Okay, I tested mine again. Sorry, I made a mistake in how to change the settings. I forgot to mention an important detail. There's a difference between short and long pressing the K1/K2 buttons.

K1 short press (you hear 1 beep only) - cycles between forward/backward cannon recoil
K1 long press (you hear 2 beeps) - cycles between reversing the upward/downward controls of the cannon lifting. It also has the side effect of making the cannon go parallel after firing when the controls are reversed (e.g. moving the control stick up moves the cannon down)
K2 short press (you hear 1 beep only) - decrease cannon lifting angle range of motion.
K2 long press (you hear 2 beeps) - increase cannon lifting angle range of motion.
There are at least 3 settings for K2, so you will need to increase or decrease consecutively to reach the highest or lowest range of motion. The lowest range barely lifts the cannon.

Here's a video of me demonstrating the K1 long press function:

phpBB [video]
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

ArchieNov wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:42 am
MonsieurTox wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:16 pm
ArchieNov wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:31 pm

K2 changes the range of motion for the barrel elevation. One setting has a greater range than the other. For example, in my Leo the default range only goes down to parallel at the lowest angle. But at the greater range setting, it can go even lower than that.

As for the K1 button, since it is used to change both the barrel recoil direction and reload direction, you have to press it multiple times to get it to cycle to the right combination. At least that is what I have observed when I used it myself. For example, pressing it will cycle it through the following combinations (not necessarily in the order I show below):
1st press - Recoil forward, Reload up
2nd press - Recoil backward, Reload up
3rd press - Recoil forward, Reload down
4th press - Recoil backward, Reload down
5th press and beyond should just cycle through the combinations again.
Thank you, I havent seen any difference in range with K2 !
Regarding K1, it seems I only have 2 cycles, I'll try again tomorrow but I pressed K1 ten times or so and the reload was always up, only the recoil was changing.
Thanks again for your help !
Okay, I tested mine again. Sorry, I made a mistake in how to change the settings. I forgot to mention an important detail. There's a difference between short and long pressing the K1/K2 buttons.

K1 short press (you hear 1 beep only) - cycles between forward/backward cannon recoil
K1 long press (you hear 2 beeps) - cycles between reversing the upward/downward controls of the cannon lifting. It also has the side effect of making the cannon go parallel after firing when the controls are reversed (e.g. moving the control stick up moves the cannon down)
K2 short press (you hear 1 beep only) - decrease cannon lifting angle range of motion.
K2 long press (you hear 2 beeps) - increase cannon lifting angle range of motion.
There are at least 3 settings for K2, so you will need to increase or decrease consecutively to reach the highest or lowest range of motion. The lowest range barely lifts the cannon.

Here's a video of me demonstrating the K1 long press function:

phpBB [video]

Thank you very much ! It works fine now ! As you said the drawback is the reverted direction of the barrel but I can live with that.
K2 is maybe not working for me because the range of my barrel is already limited by the way I linked my servo to the cannon.
Anyway thank you again, those boards are really great !
ArchieNov
Recruit

Post by ArchieNov »

Awesome! Glad to know that it helped :)
ankh
Recruit

Post by ankh »

I've just been browsing Forgebear store and noticed something interesting. There are two listings for 7.1 with different sounds: Abrams/Leo and Tiger/T90.
ArchieNov
Recruit

Post by ArchieNov »

ankh wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:07 am I've just been browsing Forgebear store and noticed something interesting. There are two listings for 7.1 with different sounds: Abrams/Leo and Tiger/T90.
Yes, that is expected since the 7.0/7.1 boards only carry 2 sound sets each, either Abrams/Leo or Tiger/T90. So they should really have 2 different listings (or 2 options) so the buyer can choose which one they want to get.

Forgebear also shared some info earlier on how to know which one you're getting based on the color of the aerial: viewtopic.php?p=334434#p334434
ATGMUSMC
Recruit

Post by ATGMUSMC »

Shagnifico wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:51 am I see 7.1 selling on eBay now. Anybody got one yet?
Yes, I have one 7.1 board/radio set. I have the CITV working, the Yellow flashing warning lights working, and the FPV camera working. Still muddling through it all. The board and xmtr are just on my work bench as of now. We are talking converting a Honda Civic into a Corvette...lol! Its not straight up easy. I have the DKLMRC mine plow coming soon.
My two Abrams tanks both have the 7.0 boards...but I had to have the operating CITV, the mine plow was a gift from from working so much overtime. I am not sure at this time if the same tank can have an operating CITV and mine plow. Still mine-plowing through the instruction manual and this forum to find some engineering answers of how to accomplish both.
As a note, the mine plow weighs in at 2500Kgs, or about 5.5 lbs. And all of that mass is well forward of the front slope of the Abrams, which means some serious suspension problems, as the tank is going to be extremely nose heavy. I talked with DKLMRC and they said setting the first two sets of road-wheels to maximum torque by re-clocking the suspension springs to the tightest position worked for them. We will see.

The FPV camera is a piece of cake to hook up. The instructions (if we can call them that) come with a barcode, you scan that, it takes you to a link to download KY FPV app. You turn on your phone wifi, power up the MFU, and you will see in your WIFI listing a KY-******** address to connect to on your phone after a bit (mine took about 30 seconds). The ****** are what ever version of the board you have, but just the camera board, not the HL board. It takes a second, but then it works. The kit I got comes with hardware to connect to the radio so you can mount your phone. The little nub on top of the radio just pulls out. The kit comes with a standard camera mount double-threaded barrel screw. You self-tap into the hole where you removed the nubby thingy ma-jig (the hole IS NOT threaded), take your time and get it in even. Now the part that actually holds your phone is spring loaded and threads onto the top screw of the barrel. It is very hard to tell at first, but it will expand out to fit modern cell phones. Well designed kit, I got the camera and phone mount from Aliexpress.
From my testing, the default for the 7.1 MFU is that WIFI is enabled on power up. Keys G and S will turn it off/back on.
The 7.1 MFU has six servo connector style ports. CH5 is for the M1A2 CITV, CH6 is for for the rotating warning light which I have, it actually doesn't rotate, just a sequence of LEDS light up in a circular pattern. The other four are CN13 (Light Sensor System Switch,...no idea what that does) CN14 (Extension Function Interface, REALLY have no idea what that does) CN15 (IR emitter) and CN16 (IR rcvr).
LIke I said, I have not seen CN17 on the 7.1. So I think that CN13 serves that function.
I have written plenty for one morning. You guys have a great day and if you have input or want to ask something...feel free to do so.
Semper Fi,
Alan
Last edited by Son of a gun-ner on Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed overly dramatized grievance statement that turned out not to be important enough to share with the moderation team.
all the work is complete, all you gotta do is...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Hello again, Marine Alan! Thank you for the explanation of the HengLong 7.1 board and camera. I copied it and will keep it in my notes. Even after twenty years, I am much more familiar with the Taigen boards, and I am slowly learning about aftermarket ones. I have come more and more to appreciate the ability to change functions on the newer HengLong boards, but the limits of sound are unfortunate. Regardless, thanks for the helpful post; I will watch for more.
ArchieNov
Recruit

Post by ArchieNov »

ATGMUSMC wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:11 pm
Shagnifico wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:51 am I see 7.1 selling on eBay now. Anybody got one yet?
I still don't know what the he!! life value lights are. Its on CN17 which the 7.1 board appears not to have. Someone else asked this question and got shot up the rear of the spine by a reply that said something I didn't find useful at all.
I am not certain, but Life Value lights might be referring to the remaining "health" of your tank when doing IR battle. Like they might indicate how many more hits your tank can take before it is "destroyed". I don't have the tools to test this theory though. Maybe someone can check.
ATGMUSMC
Recruit

Post by ATGMUSMC »

I am fairly certain that what you said, is the case. It is simply the only thing that makes sense. I really like this TK7.1 board. I've figured out about 80% of the functions.
all the work is complete, all you gotta do is...
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

ArchieNov wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 pm
ankh wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:07 am I've just been browsing Forgebear store and noticed something interesting. There are two listings for 7.1 with different sounds: Abrams/Leo and Tiger/T90.
Yes, that is expected since the 7.0/7.1 boards only carry 2 sound sets each, either Abrams/Leo or Tiger/T90. So they should really have 2 different listings (or 2 options) so the buyer can choose which one they want to get.

Forgebear also shared some info earlier on how to know which one you're getting based on the color of the aerial: viewtopic.php?p=334434#p334434
This identification may only apply to the 7.1 all of my 7.0's sound like an Abrams and they have the Red wire that Forgebear indicates would be the Tiger.

I wonder if there's another way it is indicated or a stock number or manufacture number or build code
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore

Return to “Heng Long”