Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Nein, überhaupt nicht!. When assembling the Tamiya figure, the hat is added last. The main elements: head, arms, and trunk require two parts to complete them; but the hat is a separate one-piece addition..
I simply fitted it back to front.
The colour I used to simulate metal parts, was Tamiya Nato Black. It makes an ideal matt base colour; but with hints of gunmetal can be added to the edges, and elsewhere.
Hitherto, ( ;) ) I've found Nato black to be the best option. To add a bit of weathering, I used Tamiya weathering masters- set D, I think. These can give a 'used' look fairly easily, and don't require a seven-year apprenticeship to an Old Master, to get a decent result. :D
https://tamiya.com/english////products/ ... /index.htm
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"Hitherto!" :think:

I have some Tamiya Nato Black, so I will try that on the tools I will be repainting after I finish a little Tamiya Jeep. I have all the sets of the Tamiya weathering powders, but I have mostly been using the Pan Pastel brand I found at a train show some years back. (See e.g. https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/panpast ... gKn-fD_BwE). I know an international award-winning modeler (definitely not me) who uses Doc O'Briens, even on automobiles (see. e.g. https://www.micromark.com/Doc-ObrienS-Powders) (Nota bene:I have no experience with either of these sources; these URLs are just to identify the weathering powders.)

So I'll see your "hitherto" and raise you a "nota bene." :P
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:"Hitherto!" :think:

I have some Tamiya Nato Black, so I will try that on the tools I will be repainting after I finish a little Tamiya Jeep. I have all the sets of the Tamiya weathering powders, but I have mostly been using the Pan Pastel brand I found at a train show some years back. (See e.g. https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/panpast ... gKn-fD_BwE). I know an international award-winning modeler (definitely not me) who uses Doc O'Briens, even on automobiles (see. e.g. https://www.micromark.com/Doc-ObrienS-Powders) (Nota bene:I have no experience with either of these sources; these URLs are just to identify the weathering powders.)

So I'll see your "hitherto" and raise you a "nota bene." :P
It's Pastels at 10 paces, then! (Malapropism intentional...)

Both sources produce fine products, Prof. The second link immediately calculated postage to GB, even without me requesting it. :) It's reminiscent of having an ever-solicitous Jeeves, or Crichton, butler figure at one's disposal.
Still, it's good to have such a commanding online presence. :D
In the meantime, I came across this idiosyncratic dauber who had set himself the challenge of painting a Panzer head using only three colours. That simplicity appeals, but in the event, his technique revealed itself as anything but basic. The self-deprecating humour I can manage, however. :lolno:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Over the last few years, I have watched a few YouTube demonstrations by this character, my viewing always interrupted by weak internet access. I appreciate his sense of humor. The figure here looks like a stock HengLong or Taigen Panzermann. Although I have been able to do some decent things with the HengLong/Taigen US tank commander (the one looking backwards and reaching for the .50 cal.), this Wehrmacht fellow is hopeless. Over the years, as I would open another newly-arrived tank, I started to laugh aloud: "Oh, no! another Panzermann!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A wee addendum. I bought some Tamiya uniform insignia decals, in 1/35th and , importantly, 1/16th scale.
These are the details:

I decided to give them a try by using the epaulettes/shoulder boards, and lapel badges, specifically made for tank crew. There's no way I could have painted those details so finely. Anyway, the decals are fairly easy to use, and made easier when applied with a coat Humbrol "decalfix' beforehand. I gave the Commander the rank of Hauptmann/Captain.

All that remains to be done with him (no, not being tossed in the bin :/ ), is to paint over the home concocted pink piping I'd created, and which now adds an unwanted fringe to the Tamiya add-ons. My apologies, as the dust that landed on the Hauptmann from a spot of internal sanding on the Firefly, make him look as if he needs his dandruff treating with 'Head & Shoulders'. (Kopf und Schultern) :D

All in all, I'd say the decals are worth investing in. I got them from eBay. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Peddinghaus do a similar sheet although they leave it up to the modeller to close crop the decals from the sheet which is inviting disaster with such flimsy and detailed objects.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Well grumpy-dumpy! :-< For at least 5 years, I have used the same set of Tamiya decals for figures. I never received the first page indicating the locations. All I ever received was the second page, it being a rather good help. I have paged through books and books on uniforms. Just think of the money I could have saved not having to buy all those books. Who me, not buy books? Fat chance. @)
Captain Hilts
Lance Corporal

Post by Captain Hilts »

Lots of useful information here. Im going to give this a go one day myself. Cheers
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Well grumpy-dumpy! :-< For at least 5 years, I have used the same set of Tamiya decals for figures. I never received the first page indicating the locations. All I ever received was the second page, it being a rather good help. I have paged through books and books on uniforms. Just think of the money I could have saved not having to buy all those books. Who me, not buy books? Fat chance. @)
:D , Well, as the proverb goes, all good things come to he who waits, Prof. Now you have that page, and so long as Imgur continues to host my images, it will remain here. :)
The leaflet has lots of useful, condensed information, largely because Tamiya has a good research department. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Captain Hilts wrote:Lots of useful information here. Im going to give this a go one day myself. Cheers
Cheers, Captn. :wave:

Return to “General Questions”