RC 1/16 Panzerkampfwagen Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf B - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: RC 1/16 Panzerkampfwagen Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf B - Build

Post by ronnie42 »

Wow thats a fast start, its good to see an expert setting out the RC conversion . I should get a supply of brass tubes and bearings now i know all the sizes .Thanks imcq11, this build will save me a few headaches :haha:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you everyone for your encouragements !

And here we have the motorization of the model, with two short YOUTUBE videos of the model in action at the end of the post.

View of the material coming with the purchase of the 35RCTANK MTC-2 control board and ACU unit. Ordered directly from Hong Kong from their website contact info, these are pretty much the only items they are not Out of stock. All cables, a speaker, on/off switch, LEDs, resistors for LEDs and capacitors for the motors are provided, which is great. This is my second purchase of these units, allowing me better flexibility when switching these boards from one small tank to another, all pre-wired for them. It basically plug and play, dramatically reducing the cost of each build. For larger heavy tanks, i use the same Clark TK40 and TK60.
Overview of the features, quite rich for the size of these boards.
Close ups of the 2 units. Installation of the wiring, motor capacitors and configuration with the receiver took only about one hour. Its basically plug and play.
Configuration of basic preferences is done by dip switch on both boards. I think this is great, its so simple and fast compared to the configuration of a Clark board. I mean, when you are not too difficult and just want the basics like me.
The single cheap capacitor on the 130 motor is replaced by 3 better ones provided for each motor, along with new better wires that connect directly to the board motor ports.
The other tracks from R-Model was completed and gearbox installed. I was left with only 4 spare track links but with a few more track pins. Assembly is fast, about 2 hours in total, and few issues.

Everything is made ready for testing. I was so anxious that i installed the right track in the wrong direction. Something i will correct. Electronics are just deposited on the rack for testing purposes.
And now, here are two youtube videos of the integration.

First, the initial testing of the motor, gearbox and tracks. It required no adjustments. Tracks are running great.

https://youtu.be/i3rLrThA-iU

Link above

And here is a Youtube video of the running test, going slow at first and then faster. I never went up to full speed. I am very satisfied with the low to high speed control. I think its good, very easy to control.

https://youtu.be/om9HMxOimiU

Regards, Louis

Link above
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Excellent work once again Louis :clap: this is yet again another of your conversions that I have bookmarked for future reference :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I am watching this with great interest, hoping I can up my skill levels to produce an operating conversion of my Ausf A. I was intending to use the electronics from 35rctank, as you have done. I am wondering which engine sound you selected for the ACU.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you,
silversurfer1947 wrote: I am wondering which engine sound you selected for the ACU.
He had two engine sounds available last summer when ordered, 38T or Sherman. I picked the Sherman because i thought i would use the board on the M5A1 Stuart but then decided to use the Clark TK instead for that build when the Mato gearbox was determined to be possible.

Knowing it would be used first on a Panzer I, the 38T would have been a better fit.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Looks great.
I think you will have a hard time staying under your $200 budget... LOL!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Jarlath wrote:I think you will have a hard time staying under your $200 budget... LOL!
thanks, So far this is what i have, and these include all shipping costs.
- Takom no 1010 Panzer 1B kit: $58
- Arduino chassis for gearbox: $22
- Mato Sherman track adjuster: $20
- R-Model metal tracks: $44
- Aber16L-17 brass MG13 barrels: $28
- Servos, turret rotation, various: $25
Total $197

The 35RCTANK boards were $80 with shipping but i do not include them as part of the cost because i reuse these and the receiver for various builds pre-wired for them.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

lmcq11 wrote:Thank you,
silversurfer1947 wrote: I am wondering which engine sound you selected for the ACU.
He had two engine sounds available last summer when ordered, 38T or Sherman. I picked the Sherman because i thought i would use the board on the M5A1 Stuart but then decided to use the Clark TK instead for that build when the Mato gearbox was determined to be possible.

Knowing it would be used first on a Panzer I, the 38T would have been a better fit.
Thanks for that. I will get them ordered up.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

lmcq11 wrote: thanks, So far this is what i have, and these include all shipping costs.
- Takom no 1010 Panzer 1B kit: $58
- Arduino chassis for gearbox: $22
- Mato Sherman track adjuster: $20
- R-Model metal tracks: $44
- Aber16L-17 brass MG13 barrels: $28
- Servos, turret rotation, various: $25
Total $197

The 35RCTANK boards were $80 with shipping but i do not include them as part of the cost because i reuse these and the receiver for various builds pre-wired for them.
See... I'd likely never remove the boards from an RC unless they died or were to be upgraded... So I was already figuring you at higher costs. (Labour does not even factor into stuff like this...)
You'll be close, but you have not even finished the upper hull yet (More hardware/poly/brass/CA/etc...)

Any LED's? Turret rotation gear? Magnets for upper/lower hull?
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

AWESOME
Yes that's great :)
Following, very nice work
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?