1/16 WCP Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. C

Custom designs 3D Printed
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Re: 1/16 WCP Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. C

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

We have also completed the front suspension & steering units for 10 models
Video shows below how it works
They have all be tuned for centre point of servo. Why cant they make the splines on all servos be exactly in the same place lol, that caused me alot of delay just so every steering link was tuned for that actual model.
The front beam tie rods will be made next, but only once we have pressed in many hundred more brass threaded inserts. Its alot of repetitive work

The front gearbox for drive sprockets will follow soon after, so the drive shafts will be machined. Then the drive sprockets can at least be assembled and fit and then shimmed for the rest of the chassis
We are getting there

Every night is a 251 evening haha

phpBB [video]
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Thanks for the update Will.
Good old fashioned engineering. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

No worries Shaun
I have been out of a bit of puff for quite some time, thankfully i seem to be over the most of the covid lagging symptoms.
Just find i need my bed a couple hours earlier than i ever used to, maybe thats good for my body generally haha

I am enjoying the engineering involved for sure

We forgot above to make mention to the torsion springs. We have enough to make most of the arms, but have more material on order which should arrive soon hopefully.
Making little tools to cut correct length and then bend the springs to the correct pattern shape before fitting them is going to provide uber testing, but compared with the original prototype model, we have chosen to manufacture one design of spring rather than 2, meaning they can be made in mass a bit easier. The knock on of that meant the JIG for the torsion bar mounts had to designed different, so the torsion bar mounts are sided.
Our little Mill is getting a work out good and proper haha.
I think i need a bigger workshop and larger tools! lol anyone got a Bridgeport they don't want
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Will your work on this kit is beyond impressive! Glad you are feeling a bit better. Thoroughly enjoying watching this come together, that suspension and steering is too cool!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

Small update
A wee video from Will how we press the bearings into the wheels before welding the wheels
Part 1
phpBB [video]

Catherine (me) have spent the whole afternoon pressing bearings for hundreds of road wheel halves haha
Quite therapeutic really

Part 2
phpBB [video]
Last edited by WCP RC MODELS on Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That's some operation you've got going on there WCP :D it makes one appreciate how much time and effort you put into making your models, very well done and keep up the great work :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Obviously, but happily, Will and Catherine, you will find more and more uses for the press, saving time as well as expanding your capacities.
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

Cheers guys
We are trying to make sure that there is repeatability so that it helps the models go together without issues
On something soo complex a build as a 251, it really helps big time.

We are constantly investing in new tooling, we haven't even pulled any money from the business at all as yet as we are more concerned with providing the best quality we can.

Come the New Year, we have our eye on a few new toys to help us further expand our capabilities, so watch this space.
We are soo grateful for having the opportunity to design and make these models and share around the world

Happy tanking everyone
Hope Santa brings you nice pressies
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Good news, i finally finished assembling and pressing bearings into the wheels, now we are on the suspension arms and tensioners for the tracks
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
WCP RC MODELS
Corporal

Post by WCP RC MODELS »

Some more progress pictures

Lots of bearing stuff, will try and get a few videos uploaded
But the main chassis sections are printed, cleaned, bearings & threaded inserts installed.

Brass bushings for the torsion springs pressed in

Everything is getting red oxide primered

This is the next stage where to side panels for the chassis are bolted thru the metal chassis rails into the main lower tub.
Then time for more bearings haha. There are alot of bearings!

So whats next.......
Well i have spent hours and days machining the parts for the torsion bars and springs.
They are milled in 3 seperate processes each and they are handed Left & Right.
Then these are pressed and glued into the suspension arms themselves which are handed and also have different design based on whether its for an inner or outer interleaved road wheel.

The Tensioner arms have been glued and had their bearings pressed in ready.

I have the driveshafts which i am slowly getting thru with the mill so they have a flat section for the grub screws to bolt onto before loctite is applied.

But we are making good progress.

Return to “WCP Models”